LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

**General NFL Discussion Thread**

Shop 49ers game tickets
Over the years we have seen many positions devalued with rule changes and others seemingly become more important. Lets look at a few things here. First the rookie wage scale. 1st rd qbs no longer hold teams captive with absurd contracts. They also can't holdout after one good year because of not being able to renegotiate until after year three.

College qbs are coming in much more ready to play than they have in years past. It makes starting a rookie and having a viable playoff team a reality. It seems like rule changes favoring qbs have really helped the transition.

The last part of the triangle. Is the vetran qbs. Even mediocre ones often require ridiculous contracts.

So the idea of this post is draft a qb every 3 years. Think of what one of these young qbs would fetch in trade.We could probably get 3 first rd draft picks for kap.

I don't think we should do it. Kaps my favorite player. But if I was jim harbaugh the qb whisperer and thought I had an edge in picking qb talent. I might consider it. Not paying a qb 100 million dollars is an edge in itself.
A lot of these young QBs are overhyped. Newton, RGIII, Pryor, Manuel, Geno Smith, Locker....these guys will fade out, just overhyped.
I agree with drafting and developing qb's. If you have a reputation as a developer, and Harbaugh has, I don't think there is anything you can do which will get you a better return. Check on how many qb's Kansas City for example has drafted and developed in its years of existence.
This doesn't mean that you get rid of Kaep. If he continues to develop into a franchise qb, they are rare. You hang on to one if you have one.
Niners seem to like project players.. this guy is all pro and could be playing later this season... how about we give him a try at DT...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264521/article/jay-ratliff-released-by-dallas-cowboys-off-pup-list

Seriously? We already have a thread on this. This dude is done, finished, the Cowboys need DT help worse than the 49ers and they told Ratliff to GTFO, his career is over.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
I was actually in shock anyone would say he is already more imposing than Iupati and Boone lol

shock and lol? on smash-mouth plays, long jolts people off the block better than 9er guards. 9er guards are vets and are better at walling off defenders mainly because they are so massive; but they often play high and have less-than-stellar leverage, and only succeed because they engulf the defender. long hammers guys and jolts then in the opposite direction. a function of brute strength and good quickness. and the guy barely knows what he's doing.

contrary to opinion, anthony davis is our best mauling lineman--not boone & iupati--and long is on par with davis as a run blocker.
Right now.......Kiko Alonso. End of the year.......Eric Reid.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
I was actually in shock anyone would say he is already more imposing than Iupati and Boone lol

shock and lol? on smash-mouth plays, long jolts people off the block better than 9er guards. 9er guards are vets and are better at walling off defenders mainly because they are so massive; but they often play high and have less-than-stellar leverage, and only succeed because they engulf the defender. long hammers guys and jolts then in the opposite direction. a function of brute strength and good quickness. and the guy barely knows what he's doing.

contrary to opinion, anthony davis is our best mauling lineman--not boone & iupati--and long is on par with davis as a run blocker.

Yeah shock and lol becuase the guy has been in the league for less than half a season.
Couldnt they still make it by winning out!?
dreNmel08 is a Giants fan

Originally posted by valrod33:
dreNmel08 is a Giants fan

Ohhhhh man you got me
It's Eli's Fault.
Happens when you don't win any games.
No defense, Suspect running game, and Eli throwing picks... Otherwise do you see things changing?
  • dj43
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Right now.......Kiko Alonso. End of the year.......Eric Reid.
Alonso, as it stands now, is hands down ROY. If Reid continues to play well and has a few more picks, he could be in that chase. However, the numbers Alonso is putting up now will make it very hard to bet him out, IMO. The guy is all over the place making plays and rolling up numbers.
Share 49ersWebzone