There are 270 users in the forums

Father/son rule

Shop 49ers game tickets
I looked around to no avail,
Was wondering if the NFL had ever tried to implement a father/son rule similar to the one currently used by the AFL ( Australian football league )
The way the rule works is as follows-
Players who play a certain amount of games for the one club/franchise become eligible. The club then has first crack at their sons when and if they choose to nominate for the draft.

Clubs are free to nominate potential father-son recruits.

Other clubs can bid and nominate to draft players if they wish.
For example 1

The 49ers nominate jerry rice's son as a potential father-son recruit in the upcoming draft and no other team is interested the 49ers would forfeit their final draft pick to select him

Example 2
The 49ers ( picking 32nd ) nominate rice's son as a potential father- son recruit ( in this example his son is a 1st round talent) and the Miami dolphins (#15) bid to use there 2nd rd pick on rice. The 49ers must then use their 2nd round pick on rice if they wish to draft him. If not then the dolphins pick is locked in.

Would you be interested in seeing something like this implemented in the NFL ?
Do you think it would work?

Obviously some rules would need to be adjusted like number of games needed for eligibility
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I don't think there is a need in the NFL to do that. If there's a player you want, you can trade up to get him. You may have to give up a lot like the Skins did for Griffin, but you gotta pay to get the guy you want - regardless of the father-son team connection.
So if we hire Andrew Lucks dad, do we get to draft him ahead of Indy at #30 if we give up some extra picks? We'll see how much they miss Peyton after that.
If that were a rule, Cromartie would have been a number one draft pick.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
So if we hire Andrew Lucks dad, do we get to draft him ahead of Indy at #30 if we give up some extra picks? We'll see how much they miss Peyton after that.

I was thinking the same thing.

If that would be the case, it would lead to a bunch of teams hiring parents based solely on the ability to draft someone's kid.
Originally posted by Youngb:
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

I was thinking the same thing.

If that would be the case, it would lead to a bunch of teams hiring parents based solely on the ability to draft someone's kid.

If it was the afl, andrew lucks father would have had to have played 100 senior games for eligibility under the father son rule. Fathers have to make a significant contribution to the club in order to be eligible.
So hiring lucks dad would in effect be useless
[ Edited by Aussie49ah on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM ]
that would mean barry sanders jr would be a lock for the lions
Originally posted by GEEK:
I don't think there is a need in the NFL to do that. If there's a player you want, you can trade up to get him. You may have to give up a lot like the Skins did for Griffin, but you gotta pay to get the guy you want - regardless of the father-son team connection.

Yea neither do I was just interested to see what people thought. The AFL changes so quickly that there aren't too many selections where the son is better than the father. Plus in the afl you can't trade during the draft only during trade week which is about 4 weeks prior to the draft.
[ Edited by Aussie49ah on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM ]
Tolzien wants us to acquire His Son, Tebow?
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Tolzien wants us to acquire His Son, Tebow?

No this is the father-son rule he is talking about. I dont know if it pertains to grandchildren.

Yeah, I've always thought about this idea too actually.
Seems to be working pretty well for Geelong at the moment. They acquired a bunch of players through the father/son rule and won 3 premierships in 5 years with those guys as their core group of players.

Kinda funny though, could've have meant that both Peyton and Eli were playing for the Saints at the same time.
Originally posted by cwilson830:
If that were a rule, Cromartie would have been a number one draft pick.

Share 49ersWebzone