LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Saints ran a 'Bounty' Program - Now with 100% More Suspensions!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sfout:
see Valrod's comments. You don't get to this point just because of 1 player, this was a big deal.

See my comments. Rules are created or modified all the time because of start players.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Well, Tom Brady or nobody named 'Manning' got hurt so I'm sure Goodell will impose some meaningless fine just to make it look like he did something.

You are crazy if you thinks thats true

You are crazy if you think it's not true. I can't think of any QB's in the past 20 years that were coddled the way they are.

Edit: Or in the history of the league, now that I'm thinking about it.

This has nothing to do with Brady or Manning.

With the leagues direction on concussions and player safety you better believe there is gonna be stiff penalties from this. The Saints will be made an example of, this will not be swept under the rug

Please. Rules like these are only important when they happen to star QB's. Need proof? How about the following:

The previously unheard of "tuck rule" sends the Patriots to the Super Bowl:
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/mike-pereira-no-longer-supports-tuck-rule/

Hell, even Tom thought (knew) it was a fumble:

"It was really a very fortunate call, and the Raiders fans still let me hear about that call. But we took advantage of it and made the plays to win the game."

Peyton Manning didn't like the new umpire alignment, it was later changed:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-09-01/nfl-keeping-umpire-in-backfield-but-tweaking-setup?story-topic-NFL=

What do you think the result of Alex Smith whining about the umpires alignment would be? If you said "nothing" you'd be exactly right.

Tom Brady tears his ACL and MCL, shortly thereafter the rules for tackling QB's are changed:
http://articles.boston.com/2009-03-24/sports/29263608_1_brady-rule-chiefs-safety-bernard-pollard-knee

A rule enforced as a DIRECT result of Tom Brady being injured. Need I say more? Ok, just one more thing. Quote:

"I think all the quarterbacks in this league are critical to what the game is about," said Patriots owner Robert Kraft. "It's like if Peyton Manning were gone for a season, I think the whole NFL suffers, the same way the NFL suffered with Tommy out. So whatever we can do to protect quarterbacks and to minimize the opportunity of them being taken out with a year-ending injury I would support. "It's not good for the league. What makes it special is special players. It's like going to see a great movie and the star isn't in the movie. It's the same principle."

So by Robert Kraft's own admission, star QB's deserve extra protection not because it's the right thing to do, but because it helps protect the NFL's bottom line. Many other rules share a similar history. The NFL rarely gets serious about anything until it happens to one of their darling QB's. History supports that.

Oh yea, and I didn't forget Eli. I'm sure we all remember that every call he needed during the Giants playoff run last season he got. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Edit: Grammar.
What does have to do with anything? This will not be swept under the rug with some meaningless fine
  • sfout
  • Veteran

LOL I dont wish ill on anyone but its ironic that Whitner laid the hurt on Thomas. Has anyone heard if the offense was part of the bounty program?
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
see Valrod's comments. You don't get to this point just because of 1 player, this was a big deal.

See my comments. Rules are created or modified all the time because of start players.

Early indications late Friday afternoon were that the sanctions against the Saints and their former defensive coordinator who the league said administered the bounties, Gregg Williams, will be severe. The league said the penalties could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft choices -- the latter of which could be particularly damaging to the Saints, who do not own a first-round pick this year. Their first choice will be late in the second round, the 59th overall ... unless Goodell takes the pick away.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/02/saints.bounties/index.html#ixzz1o07cyB3a

not gonna get swept under the rug
What does have to do with anything? This will not be swept under the rug with some meaningless fine

You said that rules don't get changed because of star players. I provided you proof that your assertion is wrong. It remains to be seen what happens with this, but based on history it's likely that the NFL, and Roger Goodell in particular, won't do much of anything because it doesn't involve one of his favorites.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Is Gregg Williams crying in his cereal?
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
Originally posted by Muggins:
Where did Gregg Williams go again? The Rams?

yup lol

tits this is bad for us
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
tits this is bad for us

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
they'll just dump it all on Williams. Saints will wash their hands of it.

and why is it bad that he's on the Rams now? IDGAF, bring it beeeotch! No defense knocked more RB's out of the game than the 2011 Niners.
Early indications late Friday afternoon were that the sanctions against the Saints and their former defensive coordinator who the league said administered the bounties, Gregg Williams, will be severe. The league said the penalties could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft choices -- the latter of which could be particularly damaging to the Saints, who do not own a first-round pick this year. Their first choice will be late in the second round, the 59th overall ... unless Goodell takes the pick away.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/02/saints.bounties/index.html#ixzz1o07cyB3a

not gonna get swept under the rug

Like I said, we'll see. Spygate wasn't "swept under the rug" in the sense that they were indeed officially punished by the league. But it wasn't a meaningful punishment. I expect a similar "punishment" here. If it turns out that I'm wrong, then great.

You said that rules don't get changed because of star players. I provided you proof that your assertion is wrong. It remains to be seen what happens with this, but based on history it's likely that the NFL, and Roger Goodell in particular, won't do much of anything because it doesn't involve one of his favorites.

No I didnt, I said you are crazy if you dont think the Saints are gonna be penalized hard for this, all indications point to the Saints being punished way more than what the Patriots got for spygate.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
pretty good candy bar, anybody ever try it ?

4. Saints owner Tom Benson gave immediate and full cooperation to the investigators. The evidence conclusively established that Mr. Benson was not aware of the bounty program. When informed earlier this year of the new information, Mr. Benson advised league staff that he had directed his general manager, Mickey Loomis, to ensure that any bounty program be discontinued immediately. The evidence showed that Mr. Loomis did not carry out Mr. Benson's directions. Similarly, when the initial allegations were discussed with Mr. Loomis in 2010, he denied any knowledge of a bounty program and pledged that he would ensure that no such program was in place. There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices.

OMG! A GM willfully and purposefully negated the directions of his owner. That's so huge! Never mind Williams for a sec. The GM had full knowledge and did nothing to stop it. This is a terminating offense, IMO. Loomis completely and individually derailed their franchise. This is so huge!!!!

Goodell better not flaub this one like he did Spygate. There should have been more done to NE. We will see how he handles this.

Karma is pissed!!!
Peter King ‏ @SI_PeterKing
RT @JeffDuncanTP: Gregg Williams (contd.): The bounty program was "a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it."

Peter King ‏ @SI_PeterKing
"Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it.''
somehow i think it's a little naive to think this is the only bounty program in the league. nevertheless, now as it is exposed and their seems to be clear evidence, they should really punish them roughly.
Share 49ersWebzone