LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 164 users in the forums

Basketball on grass

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm really, really, REALLY starting to not like the way the game is played nowadays. The pendulum has swung way too far towards Arena League for my liking. I like good offense, but I also like good defense, which is appallingly lacking in the league nowadays. This much throw it up and catch it is frankly getting boring to me, kinda like how homeruns watered down the intricacies of baseball offense in the late 90s/early 00s.
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
keeps the attention of the mainstream better. the days of good power running football and good defense are over and the league will never go back to it. it's just not excitable enough. also with each scoring play comes a commercial. so there ya go.
Nah, basketball would work on AstroTurf tho
  • iohk
  • Veteran
Fire goodell f**k that ginger
I agree. It is pathetic. 520 yards by Stafford and 480 for Flynn.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Yeah, whenever I see games like that I get disgusted and think "play some frickin defense". Hopefully nobody takes offense but I see sports change with the times and society. A lot of things are quick, easy, convenient... less things are done the right and/or hard way. Side note but athletes are becoming celebrities... it's like they are movie stars now... I don't know some of the main ones were big back in the day but it's gotten crazy. TMZ following them, they date other celebrities and constantly switch, commercials, magazine modeling, etc.

Not one, not two, but THREE quarterbacks throw for over 5,000 yards..
Originally posted by captveg:
I'm really, really, REALLY starting to not like the way the game is played nowadays. The pendulum has swung way too far towards Arena League for my liking. I like good offense, but I also like good defense, which is appallingly lacking in the league nowadays. This much throw it up and catch it is frankly getting boring to me, kinda like how homeruns watered down the intricacies of baseball offense in the late 90s/early 00s.

This. The game is way too biased toward the offense. Watching highlights of football games from just 6 - 8 years ago makes you realize how much football has changed - so many of the tackles would be instant, game-altering penalties now.

Sad.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Arena Football had it right all along
Back in the 70's I loved basketball on grass. Good times.

One thing they should do is change pass interferance to 15 yard penalties instead of spot of the foul. too many blown calls by the refs to give up 40 yards penalties.
lol what are you talking about, Alex Smith hasn't thrown for 300 yards in his life. There's still some old school out there.

You ever seen basketball, on WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED?
Originally posted by zillabeast:
lol what are you talking about, Alex Smith hasn't thrown for 300 yards in his life. There's still some old school out there.

think he did in 09 but we lost to the seahawks
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
The nfl should be disturbed by the fact that the two 1 seeds are ranked 31st and 32nd in defense by a wide margin. It's like does nobody find something horribly wrong with the sport when a team with a dominant defense, run game, special teams and an obscene turnover ratio can be so easily discounted in the playoffs against teams that do nothing but throw the football?

10 years ago the niners and ravens would be looked at as the overwhelming favorites and praised endlessly. Now thanks to the rule changes favoring passing, the arena league teams are viewed as completely invincible against everything except another arena league style team. 45-41 is not exciting when it happens 3 times a week. I hope every outdoor playoff game has horrific end of the world weather goin on and it makes goodell cry.
Share 49ersWebzone