There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

17th Anniversary of Joe Montana's Last Ever Game...

http://youtu.be/6jrxN-hopo0

December 31, 1994

End of an era...

This game marked the second time in December 1994 that the Monday Night Football crew came to Miami to cover a game between these two teams - on December 12, the Dolphins beat the Chiefs 45-28

After a 17–17 tie at halftime, the Dolphins forced two turnovers in the second half to stop any Chiefs scoring threat. Both teams scored on each of their first three possessions of the game. Kansas City quarterback Joe Montana, playing in his last NFL game before retiring, threw two touchdowns in the first half: a 1-yard completion to tight end Derrick Walker and a 57-yarder to running back Kimble Anders. Meanwhile, Kansas City kicker Lin Elliot made a 21-yard field goal. For Miami in the first half, running back Bernie Parmalee scored a 1-yard touchdown, quarterback Dan Marino threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Ronnie Williams, and kicker Pete Stoyanovich made a 40-yard field goal.

The Dolphins then took the opening kickoff of the second half and marched 64 yards to score on wide receiver Irving Fryar's 7-yard touchdown reception. Stoyanovich then kicked a 40-yard field goal to give Miami a 27-17 lead. Early in the fourth quarter, Dolphins defensive back J.B. Brown intercepted a pass from Montana at the goal line. Then with 7:31 left in the game, Dolphins defensive back Michael Stewart wrestled the ball away from Chiefs running back Marcus Allen at the Miami 34-yard line with 7:31 left to stop a second Kansas City scoring threat.

Montana finished his final postseason game with 314 passing yards and two touchdowns.

[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Dec 31, 2011 at 7:10 PM ]
The chiefs don't count!
Hey, at least he didn't Favre it and made good on his retirement.
If i could ask Joe one question, itd be how he felt about the 49ers winning the Super Bowl without him in 1994 with Young.

I think theres a decent chance he was hoping they lost. Hes said before hes more of a Steelers fan, and he clearly had issues with Young. It almost seems humanly impossible for him not to be a little bitter. having been the 49ers franchise guy, winning them 4 SB's, and then getting replaced by Young, im sure he wanted to be the only guy that was able to get it done for this franchise.

I would also ask him if there was any small part of him that was glad the Niners didnt win the SB in 1992, even though he was on the team. having to be Steve Young's backup and watch him win the title from the sidelines might have been rough. I just cant see Joe jumping around and hugging Young after a SB title as the backup. He probably had a smirk on his face when the Niners lost to the Cowboys in the NFC Champ game, as if to say "see, Steve just cant get it done."
Originally posted by Niners99:
If i could ask Joe one question, itd be how he felt about the 49ers winning the Super Bowl without him in 1994 with Young.

I think theres a decent chance he was hoping they lost. Hes said before hes more of a Steelers fan, and he clearly had issues with Young. It almost seems humanly impossible for him not to be a little bitter. having been the 49ers franchise guy, winning them 4 SB's, and then getting replaced by Young, im sure he wanted to be the only guy that was able to get it done for this franchise.

I would also ask him if there was any small part of him that was glad the Niners didnt win the SB in 1992, even though he was on the team. having to be Steve Young's backup and watch him win the title from the sidelines might have been rough. I just cant see Joe jumping around and hugging Young after a SB title as the backup. He probably had a smirk on his face when the Niners lost to the Cowboys in the NFC Champ game, as if to say "see, Steve just cant get it done."

Joe realizes just like the rest of us that Eddie D bought that Lombardi with cold hard cash.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The chiefs don't count!

Yeah, I thought this was going to be about the Lions MNF game...still have that on VHS but no longer own a vcr to watch it lol.