There are 187 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rules re; contact with the QB are confusing!

Okay, so a quarter back is a defenseless player, I get that.

So where can you hit a quarter back and how hard? If a QB see's a defender and lowers his own head to protect himself, and the defender hits him with a part of his facemask or his helmet "who's fault is it"? Why are QB's still being protected outside of the pocket when RB's are hit helmet to helmet on almost every play?

My understanding; A QB cannot be hit to high or to low on any given play.

I see this as a way of slowing down these monster defenses and keeping the offense on the field.

Your thoughts?
Once the QB becomes a runner, he's fair game. But the helmet to helmet rules still apply. If the runner lowers his head and makes contact with another helmet, no foul. It happened to alex smith earlier this year.

so basically, the QB becomes a runner when he tucks it and runs. In which case, he can be hit anywhere.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Once the QB becomes a runner, he's fair game. But the helmet to helmet rules still apply. If the runner lowers his head and makes contact with another helmet, no foul. It happened to alex smith earlier this year.

so basically, the QB becomes a runner when he tucks it and runs. In which case, he can be hit anywhere.

unless of course the refs feel you hit him too hard.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

well yea, the basic b******t calls still apply and can be called.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

well yea, the basic b******t calls still apply and can be called.

Case and point: Tom Brady on every single play.
definitely biased.

Alex Smith took off running on a play against the Bengals. As Nate Clements was about to make contact, Smith lowered his head and the helmets collided. People on the zone were screaming "Where's the flag" but no flag was the right call. He's basically a running back at that point.
It's very rediculous now. It's not football anymore. Can't hit high, can't hit low, can't hit too hard, can't pick them up and slam them. This was all fair game 10, 15, 20 years ago. For the QB you might as well make it 2 hand touch and he's down. If you want to protect them that much. Maybe that's what they shoud do.

Hes down when u pull his flag off.
The rules aren't confusing. They're actually pretty simple the way I see it. If you're an elite QB in the NFL then opposing players aren't allowed to tackle you, at any time, for any reason, period.
Originally posted by baltien:
The rules aren't confusing. They're actually pretty simple the way I see it. If you're an elite QB in the NFL then opposing players aren't allowed to tackle you, at any time, for any reason, period.

The rules are different for Brady, Rodgers and Brees. Alex gets hit on the knee or in the head. You can't do that to Brady. The one year Brady got hurt they changed the whole rule book so it would be illegal going forward.... Talk about favoritism....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM ]