There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best offense Niners have played vs. Best defense Fudge Packers have played

When GB gets into the playoffs I think we are going to be surprised at their lack of scoring. Conversely, I think we will be surprised at how many points are scored against the Niners.

The best defense GB has played is the Chicago Bears at #8 at 20.2. They also played the Falcons at #9 at 20.3. Interestingly, GB put 27 on the Bears and 25 on the Falcons.

The best offense the Niners have played is Detroit at #4 at 27.8. They also played the Ravens at #6 at 24.7. Detroit scored only 19 on us and the Ravens only scored 16.

GB did scored 5 and 7 pts over the Falcons and Bears defenses averages. The niners held Detroit to 8.8 pts under their average and the Ravens 8.7. Also, Detroit and the Ravens have better offenses than the Bears and Falcons have defenses.

What does this mean? Absolutely $hit, but it could mean that GB's offense is more overrated than the Niners defense is.
Originally posted by bigwads:
When GB gets into the playoffs I think we are going to be surprised at their lack of scoring. Conversely, I think we will be surprised at how many points are scored against the Niners.

The best defense GB has played is the Chicago Bears at #8 at 20.2. They also played the Falcons at #9 at 20.3. Interestingly, GB put 27 on the Bears and 25 on the Falcons.

The best offense the Niners have played is Detroit at #4 at 27.8. They also played the Ravens at #6 at 24.7. Detroit scored only 19 on us and the Ravens only scored 16.

GB did scored 5 and 7 pts over the Falcons and Bears defenses averages. The niners held Detroit to 8.8 pts under their average and the Ravens 8.7. Also, Detroit and the Ravens have better offenses than the Bears and Falcons have defenses.

What does this mean? Absolutely $hit, but it could mean that GB's offense is more overrated than the Niners defense is.


At the same time, Green Bay put up 48 points on Atlanta in the playoffs last year. They were ranked #5 in PPG and allowed like 18 PPG. They put up 31 points on the Steelers in the Super Bowl who averaged 14 PPG. I can't believe how many "Green Bay is overrated" threads I'm seeing on this board. Its ridiculous. Green Bay has won 18 straight games and during that stretch have never trailed in the 4th quarter. Since Week 9 of 2009 Green Bay is 34-8 and lost those 8 games by a combined 27 points. Stop saying Green Bay is overrated. Its getting ridiculous already.
Originally posted by strat1080:
At the same time, Green Bay put up 48 points on Atlanta in the playoffs last year. They were ranked #5 in PPG and allowed like 18 PPG. They put up 31 points on the Steelers in the Super Bowl who averaged 14 PPG. I can't believe how many "Green Bay is overrated" threads I'm seeing on this board. Its ridiculous. Green Bay has won 18 straight games and during that stretch have never trailed in the 4th quarter. Since Week 9 of 2009 Green Bay is 34-8 and lost those 8 games by a combined 27 points. Stop saying Green Bay is overrated. Its getting ridiculous already.

People can chalk up yardage stats like they mean the world. Everything needs to be placed in their proper context. What they did to Oakland was a devotion to detail better than Oakland displayed today. Carson throwing four picks he couldn't/shouldn't have thrown; I think I also saw some fumbles straight up ripped from Raider ball carriers. Again, it goes back to the fundamentals, and attention to detail which both the Raiders, and 49ers lacked in key game moments.
Originally posted by lssanjose:
People can chalk up yardage stats like they mean the world. Everything needs to be placed in their proper context. What they did to Oakland was a devotion to detail better than Oakland displayed today. Carson throwing four picks he couldn't/shouldn't have thrown; I think I also saw some fumbles straight up ripped from Raider ball carriers. Again, it goes back to the fundamentals, and attention to detail which both the Raiders, and 49ers lacked in key game moments.


I'm not sure I follow you. Neither myself nor the OP said anything about yardage stats. What I was saying is that it doesn't really seem to matter what defense the Packers play against. I've seen the countless threads saying that the 49ers are the best defense Rodgers has seen. Well he hasn't seen it yet and that is still way out in the future. He did throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs against the Steelers in the Super Bowl though. I personally think that Steelers defense was more intimidating to opposing QBs. They had 48 sacks last year. I don't think Rodgers and the Packers would put up 40 but I think they could easily put up 27+ against SF. Like you say though. Yardage isn't everything. Green Bay hasn't been getting lit up on the scoreboard this year. They are statistically average in points allowed. People see that #31 ranking and assume their defense is garbage. Yesterday was a perfect illustration of what the Packers have gone through all season. They entered the 4th quarter with a commanding lead and gave up a bunch of yards and a couple junk TDs in the 4th quarter.

Like I said, Green Bay's won 19 straight and haven't trailed at any point in the 4th quarter during that stretch. That wouldn't be possible if the defense was truly as bad as some people suggest it is. Green Bay has really been on a roll since the mid point of the 2009 season. That's what irritates me about the "Packers are overrated" threads started on this board almost on a weekly basis. The Packers aren't some upstart team. They are the undefeated Super Bowl Champions who have won 34 out of their last 42 games. That's two and a half seasons of sustained excellence. Those 8 losses were by a combined 27 points. Sure you can nit-pick a few things here and there but you can't have that kind of consistent success over such a long period of time on smoke and mirrors. Everybody was implying that some of the other NFC teams are better built to play in cold weather. Well in their first December game at Lambeau Field this year the Packers put up 46 points. Rodgers has terrific career numbers in cold weather. I don't know where that myth comes from.
[ Edited by strat1080 on Dec 12, 2011 at 9:36 AM ]
Originally posted by strat1080:
Originally posted by lssanjose:
People can chalk up yardage stats like they mean the world. Everything needs to be placed in their proper context. What they did to Oakland was a devotion to detail better than Oakland displayed today. Carson throwing four picks he couldn't/shouldn't have thrown; I think I also saw some fumbles straight up ripped from Raider ball carriers. Again, it goes back to the fundamentals, and attention to detail which both the Raiders, and 49ers lacked in key game moments.


I'm not sure I follow you. Neither myself nor the OP said anything about yardage stats. What I was saying is that it doesn't really seem to matter what defense the Packers play against. I've seen the countless threads saying that the 49ers are the best defense Rodgers has seen. Well he hasn't seen it yet and that is still way out in the future. He did throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs against the Steelers in the Super Bowl though. I personally think that Steelers defense was more intimidating to opposing QBs. They had 48 sacks last year. I don't think Rodgers and the Packers would put up 40 but I think they could easily put up 27+ against SF. Like you say though. Yardage isn't everything. Green Bay hasn't been getting lit up on the scoreboard this year. They are statistically average in points allowed. People see that #31 ranking and assume their defense is garbage. Yesterday was a perfect illustration of what the Packers have gone through all season. They entered the 4th quarter with a commanding lead and gave up a bunch of yards and a couple junk TDs in the 4th quarter.

Like I said, Green Bay's won 19 straight and haven't trailed at any point in the 4th quarter during that stretch. That wouldn't be possible if the defense was truly as bad as some people suggest it is. Green Bay has really been on a roll since the mid point of the 2009 season. That's what irritates me about the "Packers are overrated" threads started on this board almost on a weekly basis. The Packers aren't some upstart team. They are the undefeated Super Bowl Champions who have won 34 out of their last 42 games. That's two and a half seasons of sustained excellence. Those 8 losses were by a combined 27 points. Sure you can nit-pick a few things here and there but you can't have that kind of consistent success over such a long period of time on smoke and mirrors. Everybody was implying that some of the other NFC teams are better built to play in cold weather. Well in their first December game at Lambeau Field this year the Packers put up 46 points. Rodgers has terrific career numbers in cold weather. I don't know where that myth comes from.

It's just fans reaching for reasons to believe their team is better than the best. We do the same sh*t when discussing certain players, whom I will not name because everyone knows exactly who I'm talking about anyway. Any possible excuse will be given to prove what they want to believe.

I'm not saying we can't beat the Packers, but the reasoning people give for our inevitable victory is ridiculous. As we found out against the Cardinals, a lesser team can be victorious on any given Sunday.
GB will kill us. And it's not close.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
GB will kill us. And it's not close.


You take the over on this game, as GB might top 50 points. If you have John Skelton torching a secondary that only had to focus on one WR, Larry Fitzgerald, imagine what Rodgers and 4 good WR's and a good TE will do to the Niners secondary. It might be a case of simple math, do not punt if less than 4th and 3 as GB will get the puntage yard back in 2-3 plays.
Originally posted by strat1080:
Originally posted by bigwads:
When GB gets into the playoffs I think we are going to be surprised at their lack of scoring. Conversely, I think we will be surprised at how many points are scored against the Niners.

The best defense GB has played is the Chicago Bears at #8 at 20.2. They also played the Falcons at #9 at 20.3. Interestingly, GB put 27 on the Bears and 25 on the Falcons.

The best offense the Niners have played is Detroit at #4 at 27.8. They also played the Ravens at #6 at 24.7. Detroit scored only 19 on us and the Ravens only scored 16.

GB did scored 5 and 7 pts over the Falcons and Bears defenses averages. The niners held Detroit to 8.8 pts under their average and the Ravens 8.7. Also, Detroit and the Ravens have better offenses than the Bears and Falcons have defenses.

What does this mean? Absolutely $hit, but it could mean that GB's offense is more overrated than the Niners defense is.


At the same time, Green Bay put up 48 points on Atlanta in the playoffs last year. They were ranked #5 in PPG and allowed like 18 PPG. They put up 31 points on the Steelers in the Super Bowl who averaged 14 PPG. I can't believe how many "Green Bay is overrated" threads I'm seeing on this board. Its ridiculous. Green Bay has won 18 straight games and during that stretch have never trailed in the 4th quarter. Since Week 9 of 2009 Green Bay is 34-8 and lost those 8 games by a combined 27 points. Stop saying Green Bay is overrated. Its getting ridiculous already.

This.
Originally posted by bigwads:
When GB gets into the playoffs I think we are going to be surprised at their lack of scoring. Conversely, I think we will be surprised at how many points are scored against the Niners.

The best defense GB has played is the Chicago Bears at #8 at 20.2. They also played the Falcons at #9 at 20.3. Interestingly, GB put 27 on the Bears and 25 on the Falcons.

The best offense the Niners have played is Detroit at #4 at 27.8. They also played the Ravens at #6 at 24.7. Detroit scored only 19 on us and the Ravens only scored 16.

GB did scored 5 and 7 pts over the Falcons and Bears defenses averages. The niners held Detroit to 8.8 pts under their average and the Ravens 8.7. Also, Detroit and the Ravens have better offenses than the Bears and Falcons have defenses.

What does this mean? Absolutely $hit, but it could mean that GB's offense is more overrated than the Niners defense is.


Come on - give the post credit. He readily admits it might not mean s**t, but he did do some critical thinking with some interesting points. Unlike most posts that are just one liners and blathered opinions.
Originally posted by 9erred:
You take the over on this game, as GB might top 50 points. If you have John Skelton torching a secondary that only had to focus on one WR, Larry Fitzgerald, imagine what Rodgers and 4 good WR's and a good TE will do to the Niners secondary. It might be a case of simple math, do not punt if less than 4th and 3 as GB will get the puntage yard back in 2-3 plays.


This is scary to think about. Depressing. I hope we do well in the playoffs, but I pray we don't get embarrassed! If we don't win the superbowl I'd at least like to go into the next offseason optimistic and thinking we only have a few key areas to improve.
Originally posted by 9erred:
You take the over on this game, as GB might top 50 points. If you have John Skelton torching a secondary that only had to focus on one WR, Larry Fitzgerald, imagine what Rodgers and 4 good WR's and a good TE will do to the Niners secondary. It might be a case of simple math, do not punt if less than 4th and 3 as GB will get the puntage yard back in 2-3 plays.

He "torched" us? By my estimation, if you take away one blown coverage on Doucet (or whoever that was), and an ill-timed dive by Goldson Arizona loses the game. I must have missed where Skelton was throwing up bombs on us.