LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 420 users in the forums

The Tedford Curse, Aaron Rodgers, Mike McCarthy; and how Rodgers managed to break the mold

Shop 49ers game tickets
Dilfer's lone super bowl season doesn't count as mold-breaking. With this said, we've seen a number of Tedford-bred quarterbacks come, and go in the NFL - except Rodgers. I remember watching Rodgers while he was at Cal, and he looked game-breaking, but there were certain Tedford-bred habits he was about to bring into the league. What do you think enabled him to finally break the mold of Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, et al? Do you think Mike McCarthy had something t odo with it, Rodgers's quarterback coach? Sitting behind Favre? I only find this interesting because McCarthy is someone I wouldn't consider a quarterback guru, at least history hasn't indicated such. Aaron Brooks was inconsistent at best, while Montana was approaching retirement. Do you think Rodgers was able to break the mold because of his personal makeup? I ask this because in Alex's first season, he had McCarthy as his coach. Do you think in that first year, the guy planted the right foundation for Alex? This isn't about excuse-making for Alex, but more so to figure out what propelled Rodgers out of that group of Tedford alumni.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
i think its gonna get locked
Originally posted by fly15:
i think its gonna get locked

I anticipate it. I could have moved it to NFL talk, but nothing's going on there.. .nothing against the section. I also thought I could tie it into Alex's situation without making it about him.
funny....I was thinking about Aaron Brooks the other day.....memories I have of the guy..

him escaping our rush to find open receivers down field, waaaay down field.....(we eventually adjusted to him)

his K-Swiss shoes commercials....

but the last memory I have of the guy was the dumbfounded look he had on his face..over and over and over, every time Randy Moss let up on a play, when they both were with the Raiders....it was like this but with his mouth open.

I think that horrible season made him lose all interest in football. Never heard from him again.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Research Aaron Brooks of the NO Saints - before McCarthy and after McCarthy. The very reason why McCarthy was brought to SF as the OC was because of his success as a QB coach with Brooks while with the Saints.

Thanks, I did check it out. I haven't given McCarthy his due credit.
Packers thread in 9ertalk? f**king seriously????
move this s**t

BOAST where are you
This is probably going to be locked. But did you ever think that maybe Aaron Rodgers was just a much better QB than everyone else you mentioned? I watched every game he played at Cal and I was shocked the 49ers did not draft him #1 overall. That being said, the Tedford curse is that he churned out the players you mentioned and they all sucked (all before Aaron Rodgers)... people forget that THIS may be a large part of why Rogers fell into the 20s.
probably because he doesnt hold the ball above his head anymore. that sh*t annoyed the hell out of me while watching him play at cal.
[ Edited by schmons on Nov 28, 2011 at 1:36 AM ]
Any QB that has the chance to sit 3 full seasons to improve their mechanics while learning the offensive scheme has a far better chance of succeeding than one thrown in the fire from the start. Rodgers was already the most pro ready QB in that draft but he has greatly exceeded what most thought his potential would be.....

let's put him on the madden cover and see if he breaks that!
Share 49ersWebzone