There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which NFC West HC gets fired first?

Which NFC West HC gets fired first?

They all suck, so hopefully none of them. But I guess I'd predict Whisenhut would be first to go, that Kolb deal is gonna cost some people jobs and at least the Rams have been injury-riddled (but Spagnoulu probably doesn't have much time left either).
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Not Spagnuolo. The Rams problem is injuries and the loss of Pat Shurmur as OC.

Doubt Whisenhunt. He may have approved the Kolb deal but someone upstairs had to approve such a costly move. Also, Kolb needs to get healthy long enough to get into the system. Also, the Cards young defense has been improving.

Carroll is showing improvement after assuming a roster that was old and less talented than many realized.

So....none of them this season.
Originally posted by dj43:

Doubt Whisenhunt. He may have approved the Kolb deal but someone upstairs had to approve such a costly move. Also, Kolb needs to get healthy long enough to get into the system. Also, the Cards young defense has been improving.

Carroll is showing improvement after assuming a roster that was old and less talented than many realized.

Agreed. I think the NFC West now has strong HCs and coaching staffs across all four teams and I think our division will have 4 very competitive teams in the next several years.
Should def. be Carroll. Spags' team is ridiculously injured. Whisenhunt, when he has a QB that isn't atrocious has done good things. Carroll's just AWFUL. You can't even defend him by saying "Well, Tarvaris Jackson is his quarterback" because that's HIS fault too. He has as much power and authority as we gave Nolan back in '05 so it was HE that wanted Jackson. The gooftroop took James Carpenter over Andy Dalton LOLOL.
I honestly think Carroll went with Tjack because he and the front office agreed that if they secured a top draft pick to take one of the many good QBs that will come out this year. Make this decision, and it works out? Well good, thats a nice surprise for them. If it goes badly? No worries, they can get their franchise passer. Obviously the players wouldn't be part of this, do going and getting Jackson looks like a move to improve internally at least, but there is no way Carroll pursues him over some of the other names that were out there with intentions to do well. To me this is also a total Carroll move, he likes to think he can outscheme and plan ahead of his foes, he's always been that guy.
Granted, to stay objective here though, had Alex underperformed this season.... Others could have accused us of the same
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by andes14:
Should def. be Carroll. Spags' team is ridiculously injured. [b]Whisenhunt, when he has a QB that isn't atrocious has done good things.[/b] Carroll's just AWFUL. You can't even defend him by saying "Well, Tarvaris Jackson is his quarterback" because that's HIS fault too. He has as much power and authority as we gave Nolan back in '05 so it was HE that wanted Jackson. The gooftroop took James Carpenter over Andy Dalton LOLOL.

You could argue that Whisenhunt, when his Quarterback isn't a future Hall of Famer, has done bad things. Every good player he has on that team, he had the luxury of inheriting fully developed. His draft classes are poor, and he has yet to develop anyone.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Granted, to stay objective here though, had Alex underperformed this season.... Others could have accused us of the same

Good point.

The fact that Harbaugh had very little time to actually TALK to Alex Smith during that short break in the lockout, tells me that Harbaugh had done a lot of film work on Alex and was convinced he could do what he has done. As we have discussed in other threads earlier in the season, either Harbaugh is VERY perceptive or very lucky. In this case, as in others, he has proven to be very perceptive. He KNEW what he was doing. I don't think Jim Harbaugh is at all surprised by what Alex Smith has done so far.
i hope none of these guys get fired EVER.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
i hope none of these guys get fired EVER.

this
Good point.

The fact that Harbaugh had very little time to actually TALK to Alex Smith during that short break in the lockout, tells me that Harbaugh had done a lot of film work on Alex and was convinced he could do what he has done. As we have discussed in other threads earlier in the season, either Harbaugh is VERY perceptive or very lucky. In this case, as in others, he has proven to be very perceptive. He KNEW what he was doing. I don't think Jim Harbaugh is at all surprised by what Alex Smith has done so far.

I'm still amazed by this. While I myself did point out during the off-season that given the choices available out there, Smith was as good as any, but Harbaugh betting big on Smith (even with the failed attempt to get Hasselbeck) was very surprising. For him to coach Smith to be this successful is just a story that needs to be told. If the 49ers go far this year or next year with Smith, I'm sure there will be a book or two on the subject.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
RE: St Louis Rams There are multiple comments on Mike Sando's blog about the NFC West. Ram fans are putting a great deal of the heat for their offensive failures on Josh McDaniel's insistence on running a vertical passing game. The OL can't pass protect well enough for those deep routes. They want a WCO offense that features short passes to make it easier on the OL and keep Sam Bradford from getting pounded. He has taken more sacks already this year than all last season.

Also, Bradford is clearly struggling. Fan are calling for a real QB coach to help Sam get back on track. hmmmmmmm Where have we heard that before?

For those who don't know about Shurmur; he spent 10 years as an assistant under Andy Reid before he went to the Rams to tutor Bradford. Though Sam was clearly operating with a very short playbook by the end of last season, he was at least able to execute it when he had healthy receivers. Shurmur was sort of Bradford's Jim Harbaugh.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

Agreed. I think the NFC West now has strong HCs and coaching staffs across all four teams and I think our division will have 4 very competitive teams in the next several years.

disagree, the other 3 teams dont have strong coaching staffs. watching the cards just flat out crumble yesterday, Spags prolly gets canned in Saint Louis. needs to get to 6-10 to have a shot to come. not looking like it.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

disagree, the other 3 teams dont have strong coaching staffs. watching the cards just flat out crumble yesterday, Spags prolly gets canned in Saint Louis. needs to get to 6-10 to have a shot to come. not looking like it.
I guess I must have been going out for a sammich when that happened.

The Cardinals have a solid defense. It is young and getting better. They play a bend-but-don't-break style and do it quite well. Their red zone defense has gotten very good in the past 4 games.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

I guess I must have been going out for a sammich when that happened.

The Cardinals have a solid defense. It is young and getting better. They play a bend-but-don't-break style and do it quite well. Their red zone defense has gotten very good in the past 4 games.

his ability to not put up a winner post Warner is alarming