There are 191 users in the forums

Alex Smith QBR: Comparing Week 5 and Week 9

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
They were playing back because of the time remaining and they thought we were going to continue passing like most teams. They weren't scared of A . Smith, more likely looking for a pick.

They we playing back because Smith had just spent the third quarter balls deep in their secondary completing all nine passes for 179 yards and two touchdowns. Maybe they were hoping for a pick, but more likely they didn't want to get burned again.
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:

Arguing the passer rating uses "more objective stats" doesn't cut much ice with me. Passer rating is just some algorithm that heavily weights completion percentage and interception percentage. It's not gospel or anything, just some guy's guesses on what factors to focus on. It really hasn't stood the test of time at all in measuring qb play. Johnny Unitas has a career passer rating of 78.2. Joe Namath has a lower career rating than Joey Harrington.

No, the passer rating is not the be all, end all either. I like to watch the game and then compare what my eyes saw with what the rating says. If they correlate fine, if they don't then I trust my eyes. My mistakes are often cleared up here on the board when other posters explain why my observations are bull. Post, read and learn!
See I thought I liked the total QBR when I first read about it and saw where they ranked last seasons passers...but now I'm not so sure...

IMO, Smith played better this @ WAS than vs. TB despite what the stats say.
Share 49ersWebzone