LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

NFLPA to hold pre-draft game in LA

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
The game would be held prior to the draft and would include "all draft eligible players." Unlike the Senior Bowl, this game would provide an opportunity to evaluate underclassmen against seniors. The Players Union is billing it as an opportunity to introduce players to the business of football prior to training camp.

Sounds like an idea worth doing.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7202855/nflpa-stage-pre-draft-game-los-angeles
Seems like a good idea for the underclassmen to improve draft stock. only thing is when do underclassmen have to declare for the NFL draft. seems like that's cutting it close if this game is to be played January16t5h.
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:
Seems like a good idea for the underclassmen to improve draft stock. only thing is when do underclassmen have to declare for the NFL draft. seems like that's cutting it close if this game is to be played January16t5h.

This seems like a move by the NFLPA to encourage underclassmen to commit earlier to the draft. IMO, it has mixed blessings.
I think it's just the NFLPA showing that they can hold and properly run events that for long has been deemed to only be ran by official nfl officials and executives. This is a down the road type of move. Years later if their is another CBA issue the NFLPA will be able to show that they can hold a all star game to showcase guys that can't be shut down b/c it's under league control. Or that they can run rookie symposiums. Plus they are using LA an untapped area, former NFL coaches, and NFL players will be hands on with the kids during practices. Adding the underclassmen gives the game that edge that the Senior bowl doens't have. And if they are competing with the Senior Bowl that's a smart move to gain some sort of publicity and hype.
  • dj43
I think it's just the NFLPA showing that they can hold and properly run events that for long has been deemed to only be ran by official nfl officials and executives. This is a down the road type of move. Years later if their is another CBA issue the NFLPA will be able to show that they can hold a all star game to showcase guys that can't be shut down b/c it's under league control. Or that they can run rookie symposiums. Plus they are using LA an untapped area, former NFL coaches, and NFL players will be hands on with the kids during practices. Adding the underclassmen gives the game that edge that the Senior bowl doens't have. And if they are competing with the Senior Bowl that's a smart move to gain some sort of publicity and hype.

I could ultimately see this game replacing the Senior Bowl. The goal for both teams and players is to have a measuring stick to evaluate talent. With more underclassmen coming out of college each year, there is a need to compare juniors and seniors, something the Senior Bowl does not do. There is just too much money at stake to not take advantage of such an opportunity.
Originally posted by dj43:

I could ultimately see this game replacing the Senior Bowl. The goal for both teams and players is to have a measuring stick to evaluate talent. With more underclassmen coming out of college each year, there is a need to compare juniors and seniors, something the Senior Bowl does not do. There is just too much money at stake to not take advantage of such an opportunity.

I get the feeling that both might actually survive just b/c of how popular college and the NFL are. Plus you might have some key guys that played in the National championship game that would skip this all star game but will attend the Senior bowl. I guess this will come down to the money. What kind of tv deal could they get for this game? Can they get the practices televised? Having the underclassman will bring out tons of more people. I mean they will have Luck and the Senior bowl won't. that's a big time attraction for scouts. I think folks would love to see Luck vs other college all stars.
1 major player will get hurt and every agent will tell their client don't play
  • lyer
  • Veteran
great idea.
Originally posted by lyer:
great idea.
Originally posted by jreff22:

My first thought as well.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by jreff22:

My first thought as well.

Same here. Although I think a lot of major players will stay out of this game in the first place
[ Edited by YungAce on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:23 AM ]
gonna suck if a kid gets injured like that right before the draft
Start this year, and tell Luck to fake a serious injury in the 1st half...and then he's ours. muahhahahahahaha.....
I bet agents will advise some high prospects not to play for fear of injury.
Share 49ersWebzone