LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Supposed "Top-Tier" QBs off to Rough Starts...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Something I've noticed is that there seem to be a heck of a lot of QB's that many proclaim as "great" or "top tier" quarterbacks that have been greatly underwhelming this season. But why? Surely, if these QB's were so great they would be able to overcome any and every possible obstacle to success? Come to think of it, that seemed to be a standard many held our current QB to in the past. But that's not what this is about.

I'm interested in hearing what some of you folks believe the reasoning is behind these following players' poor starts to the season.

Philip Rivers - 64.7 completion percentage, 1715 yards, 7 TDs, 9 INTs, 82.3 rating

Matt Ryan - 61.1 completion percentage, 1683 yards, 9 TDs, 8 INTs, 79.5 rating

Michael Vick - 61.5 completion percentage, 1573, 9 TDs, 8 INTs, 84.4 rating

Joe Flacco - 52.1 completion percentage, 1415, 8 TDs, 5 INTs, 76.2 rating

Josh Freeman - 61.5 completion percentage, 1723 yards, 7 TDs, 10 INTs, 73.1 rating
Was just thinking about this when they were talking about this on one of the sports channels. Seems like all of the quarterbacks who were supposed to take the next step in the league have all regressed or not playing up to the standards we thought they would.
Alex Smith is a top tier QB...
wasnt everyone saying rivers would get to 5,000 yards?
the only elite qb's are brady, rodgers, p. manning & drew brees...surprised to see rivers suckin it up however
Hard to pinpoint the reason[s] since I don't watch their games. So, I don't know about droped passes by recivers, running backs not cutting it or coaching.

I'm sure Oline protection is a contributing factor. Also, maybe the opposition coaches are figuring better ways to nullify their strengths.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I have heard a few people blame Darren Sproles being gone as to why Rivers is sucking it up, say his speed in the middle of the field would open thing up for the offense.

Also Flacco and Freeman are not "Top Tier" QBs and Ryan is borderline as he has yet to take that next step.

I'm not sure where to put Vick... Can he be a really good QB? Yes. Can he put up big numbers? Yes. Can he make bad decisions and regress for games? Yes. Is he injury prone? Yes. Can he lead his team to a Superbowl? Doesn't seem like it. Is he in the popular elite? Yes. Is he an elite QB? Talent and potential Yes currently No. Kind of seems like i'm all over on him, which is why its hard to categorize him.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the only elite qb's are brady, rodgers, p. manning & drew brees...surprised to see rivers suckin it up however

Rivers is only in the "very good" category. His playoff performances have been uneven.
Phillip Rivers is the only quarterback on that list that fell in the top tier quarterbacks.

The other guys were all emerging quarterbacks. Not a single 4,000 yard year amongst them. It's pretty obvious what happened to those guys. They're being asked to shoulder a load that they're not quite use to carrying. They haven't been able to take that next step from game manager to being able to carry a team.

Vick is a unique quarterback. They solved the puzzle that no one could figure put til the end of last season.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Phillip Rivers is the only quarterback on that list that fell in the top tier quarterbacks.

The other guys were all emerging quarterbacks. Not a single 4,000 yard year amongst them. It's pretty obvious what happened to those guys. They're being asked to shoulder a load that they're not quite use to carrying. They haven't been able to take that next step from game manager to being able to carry a team.

Vick is a unique quarterback. They solved the puzzle that no one could figure put til the end of last season.

When I say top-tier, I'm talking about the top-third of the league. Really the top 12. Many so-called "experts" have labeled, respectively, at least one of each of these QBs as an apparent top-tier guy. Personally, this tells me these "experts" are not experts at all. Ranking NFL QB's right now based on the media's standpoint -- my guess at their top 12 list would be as follows:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Ryan Fitzpatrick
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Eli Manning
9. Matt Schaub
10. Philip Rivers
11. Tony Romo
12. Michael Vick

Depending on who you ask, you could see any combination of Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, Vick, Romo, or Josh Freeman (based on his previous season -- which some are still apparently clinging onto) in the 10-12 spots.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 29, 2011 at 7:11 PM ]

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
When I say top-tier, I'm talking about the top-third of the league. Really the top 12. Many so-called "experts" have labeled, respectively, at least one of each of these QBs as an apparent top-tier guy. Personally, this tells me these "experts" are not experts at all. Ranking NFL QB's right now based on the media's standpoint -- my guess at their top 12 list would be as follows:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Ryan Fitzpatrick
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Eli Manning
9. Matt Schaub
10. Philip Rivers
11. Tony Romo
12. Michael Vick

Depending on who you ask, you could see any combination of Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, Vick, Romo, or Josh Freeman (based on his previous season -- which some are still apparently clinging onto) in the 10-12 spots.

If the list is just off this year then Alex Smith is probably in the top 12 (Romo would be the odd man out), Brees would be ahead of Manning and you could make the case for Cam Newton in the top 12.

If it is just the top 12 QBs then: way to high to have Fitzpatrick and way to low to have Rivers. Matt Schaub is not a top 10 QB, neither is Stafford. Vick is a top 10 but more towards 10 then 1. Eli is also a fringe top 12, but not top 10.
Originally posted by Jcool:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Ryan Fitzpatrick
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Eli Manning
9. Matt Schaub
10. Philip Rivers
11. Tony Romo
12. Michael Vick

If the list is just off this year then Alex Smith is probably in the top 12 (Romo would be the odd man out), Brees would be ahead of Manning and you could make the case for Cam Newton in the top 12.

If it is just the top 12 QBs then: way to high to have Fitzpatrick and way to low to have Rivers. Matt Schaub is not a top 10 QB, neither is Stafford. Vick is a top 10 but more towards 10 then 1. Eli is also a fringe top 12, but not top 10.

If that's the list Alex is playing as good as anybody from #6 - #12. The only guys he's not better than are #1 - #5.
Flacco sucks. He's been overrated since his rookie year.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Jcool:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Ryan Fitzpatrick
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Eli Manning
9. Matt Schaub
10. Philip Rivers
11. Tony Romo
12. Michael Vick

If that's the list Alex is playing as good as anybody from #6 - #12. The only guys he's not better than are #1 - #5.

Rivers is playing terrible this year. Just threw his 10th INT. Only 7 TDs all year.
RIvers
Share 49ersWebzone