LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

"Elite" QB's and the Super Bowl

Shop 49ers game tickets
With all this "can we win the Super Bowl talk", all i keep hearing is that "there's no way we can win the Super Bowl with Alex Smith, because in order to win the Super Bowl, you need to have an ELITE QB and Alex is not".

so my question is this - Which of these QB's were elite BEFORE they won the Super Bowl??

Bart Starr
Joe Namath
Len Dawson
Johnny Unitas
Roger Staubach
Bob Greise
Terry Bradshaw
Ken Stabler
Roger Staubach
Jim Plunkett
Joe Montana
Joe Theismann
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Brett Favre
John Elway
Kurt Warner
Trent Dilfer
Tom Brady
Brad Johnson
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers

And just for the Fun of it - How many of the QB's would you still not consider Elite even AFTER they won the SB??
[ Edited by 4t9ers on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM ]
Who told you that you have to be elite to win the super bowl? part of becoming elite is winning the super bowl in my opinion. once you prove it then you are elite. but it's just one of those things thrown around. I think Aaron Rodgers is just entering elite status. But before this year he hadn't bust any grapes in the playoffs. time will tell. Big Ben wasn't elite at all when he won his super bowls.
Moved to the NFL forum.
For the record, I don't think any QB can be considered elite until they win a SB. Yes, that means I don't think Rivers is elite yet.
Trent Dilfer had no respect before he won the Super Bowl and little afterwards, relatively speaking. Smith would be like that, everyone knowing it would be because of other phases of our game.

But who cares, a Super Bowl is a Super Bowl win and it's a team game. More trophies are what we are after. Nothing else matters. Tomsula could be the quarterback for all I care, I only want to win and surpass Green Bay and the others as the all time greatest franchise.

That is the goal, the legacy Harbaugh carries forward. Not winning one year, not throwing away all draft picks for one shot, but to resurrect the Gold and Red Dynasty.
[ Edited by Prospector on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone