There are 161 users in the forums

Who stays and who goes....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Of course, but the numbers were so much superior for one guy it was clear to see who had the better season. Culliver had the same type of season in 2012 playing LCB and Fangio said last year he prefers to play that side. Cox was beat by most WRs that weren't even #1 WRs for opposing teams. Like the SD game, he made Inman look like he was Julio Jones. Cox had a great start but clearly sputtered after the bye week. Funny enough, he did better when we had no pass rush at all LOL.

Agree Cox tailed off a bit toward the end of the season. I think he was banged up, but can't say for sure.

Definitely still remember Culliver in 2012. He was really good in the Nickel package when Rogers moved to cover the slot. Even after the SB meltdown, I've still been defending him on this board, because I know he has all the talent you could ask for. Size, speed, and ball skills.

I'm guessing the FO has to choose between him and Cox to re-sign, and I think they'll choose Culliver.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Cully 1 year deal due to off-field issues. Similar to Walter Thurmond and how his suspension de-valued his FA appeal, signed a 1 year, 3.5M deal last off-season with the Giants.

Cox, offer him a 3 year, team friendly contract. He'll probably get a better offer from another team, but that's just life with a salary cap. I like what I've seen from Johnson and McFadden, and who knows about Ward, Acker, and Reaser.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Wade Phillips

Better then Fangio?? Ur Triping

Hes never had a defense ranked worse than 5th. His resume is far superior to Vics. Take off the homer glasses.
First off you said DC's as in plural, so who are the others that are better than Fangio that are also unemployed? second idk where you get your info from with Phillips not having a defense ranked worse than 5th but this says different http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm

Whatever glasses you have on I would get a new prescription
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on Jan 5, 2015 at 6:18 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Cully had a nice year. Very good coverage numbers across the board. I'd feel comfortable with him if he moved back to LCB.

Cox probably had the tougher assignment on a weekly basis, so I can understand his coverage stats not being as strong. But he had a pretty good year too.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Cox was thrown at 96 times, allowed 59 catches, 830 yards, 3 TDs 5 INTs, QB rating 78.0.

Culliver was thrown at 73 times, allowed 37 catches for 468 yards, 4 TDs 4 INTs, QB rating 66.5.

Thanks for posting those. I'm surprised Cully graded so much more positively than Cox and by Cox's negative in pass coverage.

With NC's mention of the contracts, there are young unknowns waiting. It might be a position that won't be spent on with large contracts, only Brock which isn't large. So perhaps neither Cully or Cox are kept.

With RMac and possibly Justin gone, some cap can be spent on the CBs now. Keep at least one and hope Brock trains hard in the offseason in preparation for next season. A healthy Brock with either Cully or Cox on the other side can hold their own.

In my observation, Cully is easily the better man coverage defender and played well when lined up in press alignment. He has trouble (hesitation) when asked to pattern match. I also see more blown coverages on his side of the field although I'm never sure which player's fault it is. Cox is a smart player and understands Fangio's coverage concepts. He is quicker and more accurate when watching the play unfold in off coverage. Cox is not as athletic as Cully and it shows when he's asked to play tight man. These two are rather different types of CBs. All this may figure into who is rated higher to the team.

That's an absolute perfect assessment thl.

What do you think about deep-ball coverage. It seemed like Cox was timed his jumps very well but couldn't reel in the catch IIRC? But as Culliver got more healthy ad back into NFL form, he seemed to have the speed to stay with anyone and played the deep ball well also. I think we also need to remember that Cully will hit his stride next year as this was his return-year from injury. I'd obviously love to keep both players but Culliver would be my top priority only b/c we already have Ward/Johnson to play the slot. Outside CB's can be a bit harder to find even though Cox played great there too early on.
Share 49ersWebzone