Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

R.I.P. Al Davis

damn really sad

rip al
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I'm not sad. RIP, as I always wish those who die, but we have not lost anything from his death.

Wow. Real classy.

Sorry but I'm not into necrophilia. I don't suck people's dicks after they die. Truth is Al Davis has been incompetent for quite some time now, and the Raiders will likely benefit from his death. The man was a legend, but that was a long time ago.

Yesterday everyone was ripping this man apart saying how horrible and what a jackass he is. Today the man was a saint who we all are going to miss sooooo much. Please.

yep, real classy dude
Originally posted by Paul:
celebrities die in 3's

Im gonna say Zsa Zsa Gabor. Very soon.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM ]
Sorry but I'm not into necrophilia. I don't suck people's dicks after they die. Truth is Al Davis has been incompetent for quite some time now, and the Raiders will likely benefit from his death. The man was a legend, but that was a long time ago.

Yesterday everyone was ripping this man apart saying how horrible and what a jackass he is. Today the man was a saint who we all are going to miss sooooo much. Please.

Just admit that he slept with your mother and move on.

But for Al Davis' help to pair the DeBartolo's with the Morabitio's to buy the Niners we most likely don't have five Lombardi trophies in the case. That alone should not only keep Niner fans from pizzing on his grave, but earn him some gratitude.

He was a legend less than a decade a ago. Besides, once a legend, always a legend.

Do I think the team will go upward now that Al has passed? Yes. Do I still consider Al to be one of the most important people in the history of professional football? It's not debatable.
RIP Mr Davis... An innovator and pioneer in the sport I love the most.

What I am most interested in is how this affects 49ers/Raiders shared stadium talks. To me it only makes sense, and I wonder how much his stubbornness had to do with the lack of discussion.
Originally posted by niners_guy:
RIP Mr Davis... An innovator and pioneer in the sport I love the most.

What I am most interested in is how this affects 49ers/Raiders shared stadium talks. To me it only makes sense, and I wonder how much his stubbornness had to do with the lack of discussion.

Interesting point. Davis was one of the reasons I didn't think a shared stadium would work. The Yorks aren't known for going all out financially, and Davis was known for suing everyone he did business with. Seemed like a recipe for disaster to me.

Now I could see it happening.

But I could also see the Raiders moving to LA.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I would not be shocked to see the raiders move back to LA now. Sounds like the biggest obstical in that deal was that the LA stadium group wanted to own a large chunk of whatever team played there, and Davis was not willing to sell. But selling a chunk and keeping a smaller portion could set his family up for life.

nothing against you but aren't they set for life? how much money can a man own?
I really have no idea how much money Davis had that wasn't wrapped up in the team.

But if his heirs aren't interested in actively running the team, then a deal with the LA stadium group could be the best thing for them.

And to answer your last question, I don't think there's a limit to the amount of wealth a person can seek to obtain. Not saying there isn't a limit to what people need. But most people will always want more than they have, sadly.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'm not sad. RIP, as I always wish those who die, but we have not lost anything from his death.

Wow. Real classy.

yep, real classy dude

lol, don't care.

At least I'm f**king honest. RIP, sure. Legend, sure. Do I care that he died now and am I sad? Hell no.
lol, don't care.

At least I'm f**king honest. RIP, sure. Legend, sure. Do I care that he died now and am I sad? Hell no.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Wow. Real classy.

yep, real classy dude

lol, don't care.

Guys ripped this guy in the interest of competitive sports entertainment, he owned one of our franchises greatest rivalries. This does not take away anybody's respect and admiration for the man responsible for helping to shape the game into what it is now. Most of us are looking at the bigger picture and not still holding him accountable for a stupid sports rivalry. I am a yankee's fan but that doesn't mean I will hold a keg party with streamers the day John Henry dies.

As a mod, why are you stirring stuff up here man? I'd expect a little more from one of the site leaders here.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM ]
Tried to put him in a positive light, but can't. He was evidently a dear friend to those close to him and he helped out some players who fell on hard times. What did that take, .000001% of his wealth? Big deal. He screwed the people of Oakland and those poor rubes who went bankrupt over the famous gravel pit deal. That's where his "generous" contributions came from. Came from a community that desperately needed the money for other uses and couldn't afford Al.

Football knowledge? More than any other coach or GM or whatever? Did you see it applied successfully? Oh, sure, when he had a few historically good teams with iconic players. Frigging Singletary could have won with those teams (almost). Mostly we saw horrible teams, blackouts, gangsters in the stands, meddling, terrible drafts, on and on. What really was the good or even decent professionalism that he brought. Really none.

A hard, dark, crazed old guy. Worthy of no adulation at all except what befits any human whose behavior may be determined by forces they can't control.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Tried to put him in a positive light, but can't. He was evidently a dear friend to those close to him and he helped out some players who fell on hard times. What did that take, .000001% of his wealth? Big deal. He screwed the people of Oakland and those poor rubes who went bankrupt over the famous gravel pit deal. That's where his "generous" contributions came from. Came from a community that desperately needed the money for other uses and couldn't afford Al.

Football knowledge? More than any other coach or GM or whatever? Did you see it applied successfully? Oh, sure, when he had a few historically good teams with iconic players. Frigging Singletary could have won with those teams (almost). Mostly we saw horrible teams, blackouts, gangsters in the stands, meddling, terrible drafts, on and on. What really was the good or even decent professionalism that he brought. Really none.

A hard, dark, crazed old guy. Worthy of no adulation at all except what befits any human whose behavior may be determined by forces they can't control.

Your like 16 right?
This thread belongs in the NFL Forum, where the other Al Davis thread is.
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by carlgo:

Your like 16 right?

Yeah I really think those of us under 30 are undervaluing Al's contributions to the game. He had a lot of good points and good moments, and was pretty succesful over a 49 year period where the game changed quite a bit.