There are 242 users in the forums

If your only choices for HC were Nolan or Sing .....

Shop 49ers game tickets
Who would you choose ?

I may be wrong but Sing had better players than Nolan.
Nolan had been atleast a coordinator and had some type of Football knowledge
Sing seems to be living in his playing days and did not know how to manage a team/game.

I would say Nolan. As stupid of a coach he was at times, I think he will eventually coach again and become a decent one at that.
SIng... will retire and become a High school Pep rally coordinator.
Neither are HC worthy. Lets just forget those nightmares happened.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Neither are HC worthy. Lets just forget those nightmares happened.

This
Nolan by far.

They are both crappy head coaches, but Singletary is far worse.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Nolan by far.

This if you must know....
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Nolan by far.

This if you must know....

Nolan might be coach again shortly

I doubt Sing ever will again.
i'd kill myself
Nolan by far.

To be fair to him, Nolan started the rebuild. But I think I would rather not have a HC!
Nolan, no contest.

We were in last place, first overall pick, no accountability and had a piss poor HC and GM (Erickson & Donahue) to go with it. Nolan took this organization that hit rock bottom and did his best to improve talent and provide leadership. Yes, he had his own share of problems, but he was a rookie HC/GM.

OTOH, Singletary had much more talent and hand-picked his OC, fired Raye the following year and kept taking AS out and replacing him with Troy which eventually got us eliminated from the division title and cost both of them their jobs.

Nolan as DC and Miami are 0-4 (giving up a ton of yards on defense). Singletary as LB Coach and the Vikings are 0-4 (similar problems on D).
[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM ]
didn't choose, lol

Any head coach> Dingleberry
nolan with this teams talent, and with martz as o.c still.
Maybe its just be but I still believe both can be successful HCs in the right situation.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i'd kill myself

this!
Nolan. Honestly I think he, just like Alex was a more a victim of circumstance. No way anyone would have guessed that his OC's would get plucked for head coaching gigs two years in a row. By the time Martz got here, Alex was already damaged seemingly beyond repair, and Nolan was so desperate to get the offense on track he let Martz have full autonomy which proved to be his downfall. Had we stability at the OC spot (under McCarthy or Norv), I think Alex would have evolved into an (at least) above-average QB, and we would have been running the West. I also credit Nolan with making San Fran an attractive destination for free agents (we signed high priced fa's during his tenure), and with drafting some of our biggest playmakers (Gore, VD, Ray Mac, P. Willis, D. Walker, A. Brooks, P. Haralson, Manny Lawson, and to a lesser extent, Goldson).

His fatal flaw was that he didn't understand QB's and couldn't get that position settled in time to save his job. Also, he had questionable motivation tactics. IIRC, he called Alex "soft" because he stated publicly he wasn't ready to play and Nolan rushed him back into the lineup anyway. Turns out Alex was right. His shoulder was shortly re-injured and he wound up missing a good chunk of time.

All in all I think Nolan, with the right OC, will do well as a head coach.

Sing on the other hand was just in way over his head, and no idea what he was doing.
Share 49ersWebzone