LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

When will we see the next great defensive team, and which team will it be?

Shop 49ers game tickets
It seems like right now the NFL is a scoring league and you just see a bunch of teams who score a bunch of points. But it was kind of like that back in the late 90s with the Broncos and then the greatest show on turf Rams. After that you saw 2 really good defensive teams, the Ravens and the Bucs, win superbowls. In 05 the Steelers were a great defensive team. The NY Giants in 07 was probably the last really good defensive team we've seen. I'd venture to guess that the next great defensive team will need to be constructed a little different since the NFL is more of a passing league now, would probably need 2 very good CBs and a good to great FS. In the next few years(3-5), I wouldn't be surprised to see defense make a bit of a comeback since there will be a lot of talented players coming from college like Jadeveon(hope I spelled that right) Clowney(probably will enter NFL in 2013 draft) and Dre Kirkpatrick(sick freaking CB coming out this year with good height and strength). What do you guys think?
I could see us being that team in maybe 2 years IF we grab a dominant CB via the draft or FA. Resign Rogers and if culliver develops into a GOOD corner. Next we need a dominant Fs. Goldson is not that Guy. I feel good with whitner at ss. We need Aldon to become our d ware. Probably the most important factor into becoming a #1 defense.
Originally posted by QBguru:
I could see us being that team in maybe 2 years IF we grab a dominant CB via the draft or FA. Resign Rogers and if culliver develops into a GOOD corner. Next we need a dominant Fs. Goldson is not that Guy. I feel good with whitner at ss. We need Aldon to become our d ware. Probably the most important factor into becoming a #1 defense.

i agree that we're a lockdown corner and a ballhawk free safety away from being an elite defense. of course assuming that aldon smith pans out to be a pro-bowl pass rusher. that's a lot to ask for

good post willis
yup i think we can be that team too in next 2 years

we have to resign carlos rogers and draft a CB in first round hopefully
dennard
jenkins (although off the field peoblems great CB)
stephen gilmore
chase minniefield
morris clayborne

all those guys are capable corners and are nfl ready

also the best FS in 2012 draft is
delano howell

he had 5 int with 7 pass breakups

great thing about it hes from stanford and harbaugh and fangio will probally pull the trigger on him

he is a 2nd round talent

so hopefully one of the CB in 1st round(while resigning rogers)
take howell in FS

i think our pass defense will improve a lot

especially having spencer as our #3 CB it will be very hard to score against tthe air against us
I could see it being detroit, after a draft or two of some dbs. If they had picked up namdi and rodgers or something, their defense would have been a force.
I don't really see a team on the verge of dominance, especially with how offenses are evolving. If I had to pick though I'd go with the Packers or Texans. They have plenty of talent and most importantly, they're coupled with solid offenses that force team to play from behind.

If the Texans upgrade their secondary and Wade Phillips and Kubiak stay in place, watch out!! Mario and Barwin will only improve at OLB and Ryans is an absolute stud MLB.
Originally posted by QBguru:

That's to many "if's' and "need's" to consider the 49ers are even close to having a great defensive team.
Share 49ersWebzone