LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 446 users in the forums

Who is the greatest running back of all time?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who is the greatest running back of all time?

Kory Sheets!!! but seriously, barry sanders ran backwards for over 1000 yards and still was one of the top rushers of all time. he was a freak of nature. i saw most of his career but i didnt get to see walter peyton or jim brown who are also considered two of the best rbs ever so i dunno.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by andes14:
How the HELL can Jim Brown not even be an option???

THIS !?!?!
Ya wtf
Jim Brown is not on the list. Are you serious?

Dude possibly the greatest player of all time, let alone runningback.
He is easily number 1 in my opinion.
f**k Jim Brown, Barry Sanders FTW
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Barry Sanders. End Discussion.
Does LDT deserve consideration?

Doesn't he have the greatest season of all time?

2006 - 348 carries, 1815 rush yds, 33 total TDs (28 rush, 3 rec, 2 passing (!)

He is 2nd all time in rushing TDs. And a beast catching the ball as well in his prime.

I say the best is Brown. He averaged 104.3 yds rushing per game in his career. No other RB in history has averaged 100.
Paul Smith
  • evil
  • Veteran
Jim Brown
OJ Simpson
Gayle Sayers

all deserving of being included in this poll.
Jim Brown
Walter Peyton
John Riggins
Barry Saunders
Derek Loville
Dexter Carter
Kendall Hunter

Jim brown
Walter Payton
Barry sanders
Jim Brown was the most dominant of his era but I'd rather have Sanders on my team.
The answer to this poll can always be debated and beat in to the ground, but I do know that aside from Dallas fans, Emmitt Smith never really gets the props he should. I believe that ultimately in the end, stats and numbers aka RESULTS are what matters. Barry Sanders COULD have had SB rings and the All Time rushing title with a better team and longer career, but he didn't, so it's all speculation. Emmitt was blessed with a great O-line and made the most of it, just like Montana had Walsh, and Rice always had QBs ranging from the greatest to just top notch throwing to him. It's a team game and the greatest are the ones who are surrounded by other greats and take full advantage of a strong system.

I also think that longevity is greatly undervalued, people like to say "oh, well if he didn't play so long he wouldn't have the record" Well guess what, until somebody else plays as long and at as high a level, the guy earned his spot at the top.
Earl Campbell
Barry sanders #1 and Walter Payton #2.
Share 49ersWebzone