LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Who is the greatest running back of all time?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who is the greatest running back of all time?

I'm going to say Barry Sanders. He posessed a natural talent that we may never see again. This guy was so good and played behind some pretty average to bad o-lines. On a sidenote I think Terell Davis could have been discussed in this discussion had he stayed healhty and another guy that had his heart been devoted to football fulltime, I think a guy like Bo Jackson had the goods to be one of the all-time greats. But my vote goes to Barry.
A toss between Roger Craig and Frank Gore
To me it's a toss up between the following: Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. All had different styles of running so it's difficult to really crown someone as 'the best.'
Originally posted by Byisgod:
To me it's a toss up between the following: Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. All had different styles of running so it's difficult to really crown someone as 'the best.'

Jim Brown was a darn good one too!
Walter Payton is the greatest
Barry Sanders.
Maurice Hicks
Barry Sanders. I always wish he would have ended up on the Niners.
barry!
jim brown was way ahead of my time but in the time ive been watchin i would have to say barry sanders made defenders loook like they were boys playin against a man.

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Barry. I remember how mad and upset I was when he retired, just because I loved watching him play so much.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Don't even know how you can argue against Kendall Hunter after the game he had against the Raiders...
How the HELL can Jim Brown not even be an option???
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Jim Brown had a physical edge you would not see today, he was as big or bigger than defensive lineman and linebackers of the era, he weighed 230 in an era where a lot of lineman weighed 220. Considering that I will go with Barry Sanders, he repeatedly dodged defenders that broke through the line, where anyone else would have been tackled for a loss he always got back to the line of scrimmage or better.
emitt was average who was blessed with a massive oline i cant stand that alien shouldnt even be mentioned on the poll.
Share 49ersWebzone