LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fantastic assessment and much appreciated. I really defer to you draft experts this time of year. I'll take over once they become Niners! LOL.

Thanks for the clarification...thought #51 might have been a TE. The one point you noted that I did notice as well was the fact that teams did typically run away from him (and he does have good movement esp. for his size).

I did have to look more closely. Very lean build for a tackle.

Here's a video of Sylvester Williams. He had 6 sacks this past year and is a very capable two-gap anchor as well. He's 6'3", 313 and plays like it. Could possibly be had with our 2nd round pick. Struggled some with an ankle injury at times, which may cause him to be underrated.

[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM ]
Williams is a good player but he does not profile as a 3-4 2 gap NT. Looks more like a 4-3 DT to me.

EDIT: Sylvester Williams that is.
[ Edited by Schulzy on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM ]
He's a fat girl
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 49ers sign Ian Williams to a two-year, $3.2 million extension, per league source.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 49ers sign Ian Williams to a two-year, $3.2 million extension, per league source.

wow, that's a pretty big contract for him... hmmm
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Baalke and Tomsula must see something.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

worst move ever
Wonder if he's shown enough to be a starting NT. Has anyone ever seen him play De for us? If they don't consider him a starter not sure we need to keep him at that price to be a backup NT.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Baalke and Tomsula must see something.

Obviously they see something. But definitely not a 'super-stoked' moment.
This shows me that they want to keep young guys and build the team through the draft. This will allow us to keep our own players later instead of losing them to FA.

Originally posted by glorydayz:
This shows me that they want to keep young guys and build the team through the draft. This will allow us to keep our own players later instead of losing them to FA.

good bye Soap
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

good bye Soap

And RJF.
I think he'll be as good if not better than RJF. I think they still look for a starting NT though but Williams will be given the chance in camp to be starter.
Though I could also see them adding a veteran like Aubrayo Franklin or even Alan Branch (who's turned his career around and actually played ok in Seattle) in addition to drafting a NT in the first 3 rounds.
worst move ever

i nominate ian williams to be the web zone's new whipping boy
Share 49ersWebzone