There are 247 users in the forums

NFL has totally ruined kick offs

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dmax
  • Veteran
what a horrible horrible rule change
Originally posted by dmax:
what a horrible horrible rule change
This is the worst rule change by far IMO. I hate it, hate it, hate it. There is real anticipation the kickoff and not knowing what will happen. Now you do know and nothing big will happen.

Plus like others said we actually have Ted Ginn now and that kind of ruins a weapon for us. So it sucks.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 14, 2011 at 12:57 AM ]
It was done to lessen injuries. It is lame though. Why not just start at the 20? They won't because this way they can still put more commercials in.
Years ago it was at the 35. Then they moved it to the 30 so there would be more returns. They just put it back where it use to be.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by susweel:
From watching the raider game last night I have come to conclusion that at least 80% of the kickoffs will be touch backs. They are basically making it a waste of a play.

Not good NFL, not good

Kickoffs are a very dangerous type of play. I forgot what the exact injury statistics were, but something like 30% of all football injuries occur on kickoffs alone. From a risk/return (pun intended) perspective, it's a very bad deal overall, for players and for teams. I personally think that kickoffs should be done away with.

Yeah, they should get rid of tackling and any type of blocking, too. In fact, more injuries could be prevented if they just went with flag football rules. Eliminate all contact, 100%. It would be a much safer sport for everybody.

So true and also running causes injuries, it would be better if they made them walk while playing.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by kray28:
From watching the raider game last night I have come to conclusion that at least 80% of the kickoffs will be touch backs. They are basically making it a waste of a play.

Not good NFL, not good

Kickoffs are a very dangerous type of play. I forgot what the exact injury statistics were, but something like 30% of all football injuries occur on kickoffs alone. From a risk/return (pun intended) perspective, it's a very bad deal overall, for players and for teams. I personally think that kickoffs should be done away with.

Yeah, they should get rid of tackling and any type of blocking, too. In fact, more injuries could be prevented if they just went with flag football rules. Eliminate all contact, 100%. It would be a much safer sport for everybody.

So true and also running causes injuries, it would be better if they made them walk while playing.

and this old man can tell you that sleeping can cause injuries too so lets put an end to that while we are at it.

Terrible rule, once again the NFL is taking away the more respectable kind of big plays and replace it with the less respectable big plays. Forget about an 60 yard kick return, but you sure as hell can advance the ball 60 yards on a DI
the new rule is fkn stupid! so is the reviewing EVERY touchdown no matter how obvious it is.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
New rule = blows a$$
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So far in two games I have yet to see a kick return. Special teams players have now become much less important.

NFL turning into b!tch league.
In 2010 touchbacks occurred 16.4 % of the time. In 1993(last year kickoffs were at 35 yd line) touchbacks occurred 27% of the time. At least they didn't move it up to the original 40 yd line......
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This is the worst rule change by far IMO. I hate it, hate it, hate it. There is real anticipation the kickoff and not knowing what will happen. Now you do know and nothing big will happen.

Plus like others said we actually have Ted Ginn now and that kind of ruins a weapon for us. So it sucks.

This
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This

Yeah this kickoff rule is crap. I understand player safety and all but this is one of the elements of the game that makes it exciting. Some teams this season decided to take kickoffs a little further back if they felt the returner was not a threat but you can bet come regular season every kick will be blasted into the endzone so we may see more guys running it out of the endzone. But for the most part I doubt it. Why would you takeaway one of the most exciting plays in the game? Whats next? On punts every kick is required to be fair caught?
Originally posted by aTx49er:
In 2010 touchbacks occurred 16.4 % of the time. In 1993(last year kickoffs were at 35 yd line) touchbacks occurred 27% of the time. At least they didn't move it up to the original 40 yd line......

i can live with that.
Share 49ersWebzone