LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 121 users in the forums

Ray Guy goes bankrupt

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Sells Superbowl Rings.

NFL legend Ray Guy -- widely considered the GREATEST punter of ALL-TIME -- has been forced to sell off his three SUPER BOWL rings after filing for bankruptcy back in the spring.

61-year-old Guy -- a seven-time Pro Bowler -- banked a total of $80,100 for the three rings he earned during his 14-year NFL career ... two while the Raiders were in Oakland ... and one after the team moved to Los Angeles.

The rings were purchased by an unidentified buyer through an L.A. auction house.

After the sale, a clearly saddened Ray told the Augusta Chronicle, "I don't want to talk about it. I'm not trying to be hateful, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do."

Idiot.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Idiot.

I know, he could have put them up on ebay for WAY more.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Idiot.

That's sad though, How many other retired somewhat ''Greats'' have had to sell some of their valuable possesions.

This economy is slumping...
Superb player - really sad how many people, not just athletes, are so ill-prepared for life after work. He probably has to go out and get a real job - I wonder if he got any degree to prepare himself for life in the real world. The NFL should use this in their rookie symposiums.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

poor guy
Man - he must be in a desperate situation to do that. Hope all turns out well for him.
Originally posted by VDSF:
That's sad though, How many other retired somewhat ''Greats'' have had to sell some of their valuable possesions.

This economy is slumping...

Agreed. I don't think that another's failure is anything to laugh about. I wonder if the NFL provides any sort of financial counseling.

Scott
Share 49ersWebzone