LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

ESPN: 2011 NFL SEASON Power Rankings

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Since we haven't done anything in to really prove ourselves I say Good! 26 is fine and when we finish the season we can rub their faces in it.

BTW - who did he predict to win last year?

Colts.

2010 Power Rankings Week 1
We usually start of low key...............THEN WE end up where we started
no surprise here

I love this ranking. I remember everyone is sucking on our nuts last year for being the most talented in our division and our break out year but look what happened all the hype and no sh1t to show. This year were under the radar and ready to have a break out season and prove the experts wrong.
Originally posted by nothing03:
I love this ranking. I remember everyone is sucking on our nuts last year for being the most talented in our division and our break out year but look what happened all the hype and no sh1t to show. This year were under the radar and ready to have a break out season and prove the experts wrong.

I remember that. This year's team is better than last year, plus they have way better coaching. We will surprise people.
its good being the underdog. shoulda ranked us 32.
There are so many unknowns in the NFC West at the moment it's nearly impossible to rank them.

I'm fine with the logic of the Rams and Seahawks being ahead of us (though a bit too high) but I can't see why the Cardinals are 21st and 5 spots ahead of us.

Kolb makes them a better team than they were last year but he's not even close to Warner's level and other than that what did they add? Their O line is mediocre, their pass rush is shaping up to suck again, and outside of Peterson who's a rookie their secondary isn't anything to be scared of.

But it's preseason rankings which are utterly meaningless and meant for us to waste time on message boards complaining about them
  • kray28
  • Veteran
These rankings mean what exactly? Can anyone ever properly describe their value?

That question being posed, it should not surprise us that we are being rated so low. What has this franchise done to warrant any confidence at this point? It's a "show me" league, and rightfully we gain the right to be overrated when we actually show something to earn it.

Real talk.
[ Edited by kray28 on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM ]
I think this really shows that Niners' fans and the outside media live on two different planets. Niners' fans have a tendency to overrate the talent on their roster, and overrate their coaches ability to lift the level of play from individual players. At the same time, they tend to dismiss the impact of players lost in free agency, and overvalue added free agents.

The Niners added Rogers, Edwards, Goodwin, Whitner. To many of our fans (especially for the crow callers), these were remarkable signings. To outsiders, they are simply not impressed. They don't see difference makers. Hence, the living on two different planets.

Number 26 might be a bit harsh, but not by much. I'd post them at 24. This is a 6-10 team, at best.

All hail to the Great Baalke (also known as the guy who drafted Taylor Mays in the second round last year but personally wanted....Jimmy Clausen).
  • Huego
  • Veteran
niners are lowest rank team in the division? espn is garbage. vegas has us favored to win the division and their opinion means more since they make a living setting odds. espn is a joke and always has been.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
pre-season power rankings after a week of being back in business

Sando said on his blog that these rankings were voted on before the 49ers FA signings and before he saw the team in practice. Honestly though, who cares. Numerous other posters have noted our failure to live up to expectations in the past. I'd rather surprise in a positive way than a negative one.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think this really shows that Niners' fans and the outside media live on two different planets. Niners' fans have a tendency to overrate the talent on their roster, and overrate their coaches ability to lift the level of play from individual players. At the same time, they tend to dismiss the impact of players lost in free agency, and overvalue added free agents.

The Niners added Rogers, Edwards, Goodwin, Whitner. To many of our fans (especially for the crow callers), these were remarkable signings. To outsiders, they are simply not impressed. They don't see difference makers. Hence, the living on two different planets.

Number 26 might be a bit harsh, but not by much. I'd post them at 24. This is a 6-10 team, at best.

All hail to the Great Baalke (also known as the guy who drafted Taylor Mays in the second round last year but personally wanted....Jimmy Clausen).

Well cheer for this 6-10 team then. Cause I know I will be. Go Niners!!!
Originally posted by Huego:
niners are lowest rank team in the division? espn is garbage. vegas has us favored to win the division and their opinion means more since they make a living setting odds. espn is a joke and always has been.

spoken perfectly...i make a lot of $ betting football and waiting for us to play sea or ariz or the rams to win. hahahah.

i won some good money betting against the rams when they had whitehurst start week 17, bc i knew captain checkdown couldnt beat a horrible sea defense
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Share 49ersWebzone