LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Dick Vermeil vs Norv Turner

Shop 49ers game tickets

Dick Vermeil vs Norv Turner

Were not talking wins and losses just pure offensive genius. In my opinion these two are two of the top offensive coaches in NFL history and arguments could be made that they could be the top two. Which of these two in your opinion was better?
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Aug 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM ]
Bill Walsh! Lol
Norv Turner last year had the following:

#1 Ranked Offense
#1 Ranked Defense

and FAILED to make the playoffs with Philip Rivers at QB in a division with Orton, Cassell and Jason Campbell as your competition.

Norv is one of a few coaches who could possibly pull this off. I mean what more does he need to make the playoffs. The Chargers replaced Schottenheimer a coach who couldn't win in the postseason with Norv who can't win in the regular season.

No wonder the guy has been fired two times over as HC.
Vermeil.

Turner has never been a good HC. He should stick with OC.
Well for me, "legacy" is something important to consider for a coach and part of that legacy is for the coaching tree for example. Vermeil has people coaches like Mike Martz (his former OC) and Herm Edwards (his former player) on his tree, while Norv Turner has maybe Mike Nolan?

Besides, you really want to make an argument about the top offensive coaches in the entire NFL history on a Niners forum and you would not include a single 49er coach? Like freaking Bill Walsh who really made the West Coast offense into the feared offensive system still used in the NFL today? Who was the first one scripting offensive plays, something used since then in the NFL? Really? Whose offensive systems put two QBs and a WR into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (and should include a RB as well) and said WR into serious consideration of best NFL player of all time? And you really want to put Dick Vermeil and Norv Turner into a discussion of top offensive football minds of all time before him?

Not going to happen.
they both seem like great guys and have had a good effect on the game, but no way in hell are they the top two offensive minds in the history of the NFL. I'd put Bill Walsh and Don Coryell at the top, but I'm sure there are other opinions out there.
Bill Walsh
The poster said two of the top, not the top offensive coaches. And I think it's a nice question, posted in the NFL forum, which means just that, NFL. Norv has his stints with the Rams, Cowboys, Redskins, Raiders, 49ers, and Chargers as an OC and HC. I know Vermeil was at UCLA, Philly, St. Louis, and Kansas City. Based on what he was able to produce, gotta give the nod to Vermeil.
I vote neither. Vermeil's best year of offense was Martz's brainchild, and Norv Turner simply added larger linemen (a natural physical evolutionary progression) to Coryell's digital system. I reject both candidates as substandard. This feels like a presidential election.
Walsh over them both.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I vote neither. Vermeil's best year of offense was Martz's brainchild, and Norv Turner simply added larger linemen (a natural physical evolutionary progression) to Coryell's digital system. I reject both candidates as substandard. This feels like a presidential election.

At least Vermeil, as a HC, took the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Norv... not so much
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The poster said two of the top, not the top offensive coaches. And I think it's a nice question, posted in the NFL forum, which means just that, NFL. Norv has his stints with the Rams, Cowboys, Redskins, Raiders, 49ers, and Chargers as an OC and HC. I know Vermeil was at UCLA, Philly, St. Louis, and Kansas City. Based on what he was able to produce, gotta give the nod to Vermeil.

Quote:
and arguments could be made that they could be the top two

Anyone who would try to argue that either of those two as THE TOP TWO would be an idiot.
Share 49ersWebzone