LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Earning your stripes vs Making you feel like you're part of team

Shop 49ers game tickets

Earning your stripes vs Making you feel like you're part of team

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/6824104/dallas-cowboys-rookies-earn-their-helmet-stars

Garrett is making his rookies EARN the star decal on the helmets, citing the long standing tradition of the cowboys as this main reason for saying the rooks will get the decal on their helmet once/if they make the team. He says the star has a meaning, and not everyone can just get it.

Harbaugh on the other hand is having everyone wear gameday uniforms during practice, and odd decision I don't remember seeing recently. If he's been asked about a reason for this, I sure haven't read/heard about it, but there must be a reason: perhaps giving everyone the confidence that they are part of this team in hopes they work harder as a unit.

So what do you prefer? Which method would you use as the coach?

Note that the Cowboys and 49ers are also in very different situations ...

singletary did the "earn" crap and we all know how that turned out.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Screw the Cowboys, I don't give a s**t if they are raising baby jesus and we are butt f**king nuns. I vote 49ers.
Originally posted by Chief:
Screw the Cowboys, I don't give a s**t if they are raising baby jesus and we are butt f**king nuns. I vote 49ers.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by cubanb:
Harbaugh gave uniforms to the team not just for that "practice like you play" bs, but he admitted in his last interview the most obvious reason: game-day jerseys are for more lanky (with sewn on numbers/names) than thinned/lightened practice jerseys with screen printed decals, specially when placed over shoulder pad units.

Also, game-day pants are far more restrictive (also with all the respective padding installed) compared to wearing practice shorts, and players gotta get used to that feel before playing actual games, than wasting time later with the equipment department (and not performing 100%).

Just watch or read any Jerry Rice biography and you'll know what I'm talking about.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Niners already did what the Cowboys are doing during the Nolan and Singletary years. we all know how well that worked out.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Harbaugh gave uniforms to the team not just for that "practice like you play" bs, but he admitted in his last interview the most obvious reason: game-day jerseys are for more lanky (with sewn on numbers/names) than thinned/lightened practice jerseys with screen printed decals, specially when placed over shoulder pad units.

Also, game-day pants are far more restrictive (also with all the respective padding installed) compared to wearing practice shorts, and players gotta get used to that feel before playing actual games, than wasting time later with the equipment department (and not performing 100%).

Just watch or read any Jerry Rice biography and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Harbaughs in tune with everything, dude just eats sleeps football and even things nobody would even think about makes sense.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Originally posted by cubanb:

didn't even read the post i just saw 49ers and cowboys and voted accordingly.
Originally posted by brizznasty:
didn't even read the post i just saw 49ers and cowboys and voted accordingly.

this lol
  • BobS
  • Veteran
What the Cowboys are doing sounds too High School or College to me.

The only reason Cowboys have this 'earn your star' gig going is because its a star and as kids that what you get as a reward. This kinda reward system only works with other similar teams e.g. Vikings (earn your horns) Chargers, Indy. I cant see it working for the Detroit Lions, Jags, Browns . . . .
Share 49ersWebzone