LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Does the new CBA include a cap minimum?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I thought I heard that now some teams who were way under the old and new cap maximums were going to be required to spend more.

Is there a new concept of team cap minimums?
yes
Originally posted by cubanb:
yes

thanks, and its new right?

It seems like the Niners are happily in the middle, below the max and above the min
I believe teams must spend 90% of the salary cap. So for instance this year the salary cap is at $120 million, teams must spend a minimum of $108 million on player salaries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I believe teams must spend 90% of the salary cap. So for instance this year the salary cap is at $120 million, teams must spend a minimum of $108 million on player salaries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

oh snap. 90%. Thats crazy if true. I was thinking something like 50% or so

Correct, but I believe they have to the end of year to hit that number (can extend players mid season) and if they fail to hit that number the money gets split evenly between the players.

i thought the cap floor was 90 mil, i'm probably wrong
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Correct, but I believe they have to the end of year to hit that number (can extend players mid season) and if they fail to hit that number the money gets split evenly between the players.

This sounds right.
Quote:
Q: How will the new salary cap impact teams?

A: Teams are required to be in compliance with the new cap of $120.4 million by Aug. 4, counting their top 51 players. Teams such as the Raiders that are over the cap have until that day to renegotiate contracts and/or cut players as a means of reaching compliance. Teams well under the cap such as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs will be compelled to sign some free agents as a means of reaching the cap minimum of $106.8 million.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18546522

There was a minimum before but it was a lower figure.
sounds like a good system. While I don't like the floor being that high, the penalty is perfect

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:

I think on the last CBA it was 86%? That is what cracked me up when I always called the York's cheap and got ripped on, people didn't realize how high the cap bottom was and how close they were to that.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by danimal:

I think on the last CBA it was 86%? That is what cracked me up when I always called the York's cheap and got ripped on, people didn't realize how high the cap bottom was and how close they were to that.

interesting. Do you have any idea want kind of penalties teams like the Bucs were enduring, because I thought I saw in a recent season they were way under the cap
Share 49ersWebzone