There are 216 users in the forums

Asomugha's contract

Shop 49ers game tickets
MY GOD. I thought the teams (us, Jets, Cowboys, Texans, etc.) were dropping like flies from pursuing him because his agent was seeking something OUTRAGEOUS (something along the lines of $20M per over 5 or 6 years with upwards of $50M guaranteed, esp. with the new CBA taking money from rookies and giving it to vets) and that was just far too much for a 30 year old corner (which is pretty much equivalent to at least 35 for any other position except maybe RB). And then he winds up signing for FAR less than I'm sure ANYONE could have imagined (just $12M per when I'm sure everyone thought he would get AT LEAST $15M per and just $25M guaranteed- hell, Joe freakin' Haden got $26M guaranteed). Why the hell did teams drop out if he was willing to sign that low? We sure as hell could have afforded THAT contract. I just don't get it.
he wanted to win
It's fairly simple. There early reports were true. Nnamdi only wanted to play for a Super Bowl contender.

That's not us.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
he wanted to win

There are contenders that could and would have paid him way more than that- there's no way there's not.
Originally posted by andes14:
he wanted to win

There are contenders that could and would have paid him way more than that- there's no way there's not.

Didn't want to play for Houston or Tampa. He wanted to go to elite team. Think Lebron, Wade, and Bosh mentality.

Teams like the Jets, Packers, Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens and that's it. Eagles won out.
MY GOD. I thought the teams (us, Jets, Cowboys, Texans, etc.) were dropping like flies from pursuing him because his agent was seeking something OUTRAGEOUS (something along the lines of $20M per over 5 or 6 years with upwards of $50M guaranteed, esp. with the new CBA taking money from rookies and giving it to vets) and that was just far too much for a 30 year old corner (which is pretty much equivalent to at least 35 for any other position except maybe RB). And then he winds up signing for FAR less than I'm sure ANYONE could have imagined (just $12M per when I'm sure everyone thought he would get AT LEAST $15M per and just $25M guaranteed- hell, Joe freakin' Haden got $26M guaranteed). Why the hell did teams drop out if he was willing to sign that low? We sure as hell could have afforded THAT contract. I just don't get it.

isn't always about the most $$$. why would he sign with the niners or texans when he could go to the jets or eagles?
And also instead of demanding DRC from Arizona, they should have asked for a 1st round pick or a good player at a different position (Adrian Wilson or Darnell Dockett?) instead. One thing's for damn sure though- between Trent Cole, Brandon Graham, Jason Babin, Juqua Parker, Nnamdi Asomugha, Asante Samuel, and DRC, they may have one of the better pass defenses of all time. John Beck must me s**tting himself right now lol.

They might be pretty weak against the run, but If i were them I'd just run a 4-4-3 to help with that with the 3 DB's just being NA, AS, and DRC and no safeties lol they won't need 'em.

[ Edited by andes14 on Jul 29, 2011 at 18:15:56 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
he wanted to win

Didn't want to play for Houston or Tampa. He wanted to go to elite team. Think Lebron, Wade, and Bosh mentality.

Teams like the Jets, Packers, Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens and that's it. Eagles won out.

That's why I pointed out that there are teams that could have given him more. You don't think the Pats, Ravens, etc. could have exceeded that contract, which compared to what everyone expected he'd get, is just peanuts?

I mean for god's sake CHARLES JOHNSON got the same annual salary with a guaranteed portion TWENTY PERCENT larger. Absolutely unreal.

[ Edited by andes14 on Jul 29, 2011 at 18:13:43 ]
he wanted to win

when a player says they will only play for a contender, that means that player is becoming a speculator. He and only he will have to make that distinction. So its natural to assume he would make even further speculations amongst contenders. Perhaps he thinks the Eagles with him are a better team than the Jets with him
he wanted to win

That's why I pointed out that there are teams that could have given him more. You don't think the Pats, Ravens, etc. could have exceeded that contract, which compared to what everyone expected he'd get, is just peanuts?

I mean for god's sake CHARLES JOHNSON got the same annual salary with a guaranteed portion TWENTY PERCENT larger. Absolutely unreal.

Baltimore isn't spending this year. Their cap situation just isn't allowing it. New England hit up other areas.

Perhaps the Jets offered more. I know the rumors were they offered in the 12 mil a year range so maybe they didn't, but ultimately speaking Nnamdi went to the team were he thought he could win the most rings and that's Philly.

he wanted to win

Baltimore isn't spending this year. Their cap situation just isn't allowing it. New England hit up other areas.

Perhaps the Jets offered more. I know the rumors were they offered in the 12 mil a year range so maybe they didn't, but ultimately speaking Nnamdi went to the team were he thought he could win the most rings and that's Philly.

Yeah, Baltimore had to cut half their vets earlier this week
i like Asougha but f*ck the Eagles. I hope they never win
The Eagles have a good organization. Perennial NFC Championship games with Donovan McNabb there. Good, consistent, solid coaching staff that has been there forever. An offense that will be good for at least a few more seasons with DeSean Jackson (assuming he stays for a while), Jeremy Maclin, Mike Vick and a great young RB in LeSean McCoy. Brent Celek. That takes a lot of pressure off of a defense - and this offense is younger/better than any of the other teams that were courting him.

The Jets basically have Sanchez (who's not that great), an aging LDT, an okay RB in Shonn Greene, and Santonio Holmes. Their defense is great, but last year they had two top tier CBs and didn't win a superbowl with a better offense. I also speculate they WEREN'T offering that much money, at least not much more than 12 million/year. Don't forget that they drafted Kyle Wilson so even assuming they lose out on Cromartie or Nnamdi, they're pretty much set with their top two corners.

Houston was out early with the signing of Joseph.

Coming down to a choice between the Cowboys, 49ers, and Eagles, it's a pretty easy choice to me.

EDIT: Also, Cowboys are struggling to get under the cap.

[ Edited by 12b6demurrer on Jul 29, 2011 at 23:39:18 ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
he wanted to win

this... it's basically the same contract that Samuel signed a few years ago with the Eagles, other teams probably would have had to pay more. It's such a good move by the Eagles I'm really surprised they haven't been to more Super Bowls considering how well they are run as an organization
Share 49ersWebzone