LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

New CBA seems to be giving old rookie $ to vets,

Shop 49ers game tickets
Look at some of the contracts and it's plain to see that the price of vets have gone up due to the rooike wage scale. Teams no longer have to worry about getting the top 5 pick a truck load of money.

We have seen the history being made at the sfety position (highest paid safty) and a back up D-linemen (RayMac) get substantial raises because of the new deal.

Do you guys like the money going to somewhat proven players for a change?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Look at some of the contracts and it's plain to see that the price of vets have gone up due to the rooike wage scale. Teams no longer have to worry about getting the top 5 pick a truck load of money.

We have seen the history being made at the sfety position (highest paid safty) and a back up D-linemen (RayMac) get substantial raises because of the new deal.

Well, that was the intent for the rookie wage scale - for funds to be allocated to vets.

But I don't like seeing mediocre talent getting a huge contract - ala Eric Weddle.
b***hez be getting their money yo! As stated in another thread somewhere.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Well, that was the intent for the rookie wage scale - for funds to be allocated to vets.

But I don't like seeing mediocre talent getting a huge contract - ala Eric Weddle.

Someone has to get it, why not Weddle? Teams have to spend, right?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

Someone has to get it, why not Weddle? Teams have to spend, right?

I'd like to see more restructuring of contracts to eat the gap if teams need to bump up their salaries to meet the min threshold.

If the 49ers deem there's no one worth signing in FA this season to a large contract, maybe restructure Willis's deal to increase the salary in the current season, and then lower it for future seasons.
This almost makes the draft even more significant, look at what NA could get and then think if Patrick Peterson lives up to the hype the Cardinals will have gotten the deal of the century!

Drafting certain positions high (QB/CB/LT) will be a must at this point, because if a team drafts right it could save millions!
Cam Newton 4 yrs $23 million

ahhhhh! yessss!

Feels just plain refreshing for the rookies to have to earn it before getting the $60 million deals.

cam newton deal

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jul 29, 2011 at 08:54:08 ]
This almost makes the draft even more significant, look at what NA could get and then think if Patrick Peterson lives up to the hype the Cardinals will have gotten the deal of the century!

Drafting certain positions high (QB/CB/LT) will be a must at this point, because if a team drafts right it could save millions!

At least until they perform like vets do and hold out to demand a new deal.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

• TX9R
  • Veteran
that was the point and the way it should be. As far as overpaying for guys, I disagree. There's a ton of revenue coming in vs even 5 years ago so salaries, even for midlle of the pack guys should go up accordingly.

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

I wish they made some sort of agreement in the CBA that rookies can't opt out of their rookie contract. So many guys will be getting underpaid that will probably break out. So far the rookie scale has been worth the wait of the CBA b.s. but I'm not liking what its done to free agency. Then again next year when teams have more time and it won't be so much ciaos maybe deals go down.

It sucks for them to get underpaid but at most it's for 4 years and then you can go earn your 50 million. Only problem is injuries and they helped that out some with the retired players benefits which is the 2nd best part of the new CBA IMO.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
it's so weird to me seeing the top pick get a contract like they did.. but it's even more laughable that the Cardinals gave Kolb the deal they did, I like this new CBA already
It'll be interesting to see how much of an increase teams will value draft picks. If rookies aren't getting these massive salaries anymore, every team will want to add through the draft now. It's become the cap-friendly way to add talent.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Cam Newton 4 yrs $23 million

ahhhhh! yessss!

Feels just plain refreshing for the rookies to have to earn it before getting the $60 million deals.

cam newton deal

I can see in the future.........Cam will be meh for three years, then in the fourth , he'll play better.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

I can see in the future.........Cam will be meh for three years, then in the fourth , he'll be incarcerated and the butt of many jokes that he's too stupid to comprehend.

fixed!
Share 49ersWebzone