There are 209 users in the forums

Rookie salary cap scale

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Quote:
First-round picks now will sign 4-yr deals, with options for a 5th. Vets get $ instead. Under terms of the new rookie salary system, first-round picks will reportedly see a decrease of 40-50 percent from last season's contracts. The first losers of the next CBA are Cam Netwon and player agents. The winners are established veterans. Newton won't sniff the $42 to $50 million in guarantees received by Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford the past two years. On a positive note, he was playing football for free last season ... in theory.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/91900002321973248

I think Carolina just dodged a fatal bullet here...

With the new structure, teams are able to hit and miss on players. For example, if Carolina deems Newton is a bust in two-three yrs, they are more apt to go out and draft another qb high.

This will also allow for more trades for that 1st overall pick because teams will not be handcuffed to such a huge contract.
yeah teams wont be allowed to break the rookie scale.

It hurts Players(Rookie picks) and agents the most.

But in the long run it helps everyone.

If the player, like Newton becomes a star and they pick his 5th yr option up, he is paid top 10 or 15 money at their position. If not then he is a FA.

It is a good system tho. I prefer the NBA one, where the 5th yr is actually a RFA yr, instead of actually giving him the top 10 money without the possibility of signing with a different team.
I love this! It keeps the pay reasonable and at the same time does away with rookie hold outs. Let's play some football!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
yeah teams wont be allowed to break the rookie scale.

It hurts Players(Rookie picks) and agents the most.

But in the long run it helps everyone.

If the player, like Newton becomes a star and they pick his 5th yr option up, he is paid top 10 or 15 money at their position. If not then he is a FA.

It is a good system tho. I prefer the NBA one, where the 5th yr is actually a RFA yr, instead of actually giving him the top 10 money without the possibility of signing with a different team.

Football player's career's are much shorter than NBA players. so it makes better since to let them get that top dollar that 5th year.
Share 49ersWebzone