LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 428 users in the forums

How much better, or worse, will the NFC West be this year?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Our division potentially has some big names coming to it. Kolb, Palmer, Orton, Reggie Bush and many other names are being tossed around when there is talk about free agency and what will happen when it begins. Not to mention the West already has a few new notable coaches that are implementng new systems including our very own Jim Harbaurgh. How much better do you the the division will be this year. Will it still be considered the worst in the NFL when all is said and done?
Better enough for it to take a winning record to win the division.
Bush might be coming to the NFC West? They're still waiting for him to arrive in Saints town going by his numbers.

Looking at the coaches and the recent draft picks, the NFC West will be strong in the many years to come.
STL will be better because of experience. They are probably front runners to win the division as it stands now, unless McDaniels screws it all up.

SEA will likely have QB troubles again, unless Hasselbeck can stay healthy. If their OL solidifies, and their WR core grow, they may improve as well. Their D will be average again, good at times and bad at times.

ARI is going into a rebuilding year. Unless they land Palmer or Kolb, I don't see them finishing with more than 5 wins.

SF will likely struggle with a new head coach and scheme with 10-6 record or so. We won't be able to rely on our defense all the time. If Alex shines, we may be in competition for the division with STL.

Division will likely be about the same as last year with the exception of the division winner being 9-7 or 10-6.

Our division is definitely up for grabs, but I think STL takes it with a 10-6 record. They are a young team growing together in all facets of the game. If SEA or ARI lands a top flight QB, or Alex lets the light turn on, any of the 3 could challenge STL for division winner.
[ Edited by SJniner7 on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM ]
Almost all teams in the division are experiencing a shakeup at more than one coaching/assistant position (in fact all 4 teams will be installing a new offense from a new offensive coordinator this Summer).

So defense is gonna win the division, and IF that is the case, it'll come down between the 49ers and the Rams (Seattle and Zona's defenses are becoming retirement centers).
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I think the division will overall be better than last year, but still the worst in the NFL.
We will still be the worst most likely unless both us and StL actually play well. I think the team with the most outside the division win will win our division. Seeing the non divisional games that all of us have to play will say alot. I think 9-7 will win the division.
Cowboys, Bucs,Giants, Eagles,Ravens and Steelers. We have to win 2 of those. Them are all top teams period. We still will have to deal with Detroit who will have a sick D line. They may be the team to watch for this yr.

Now if for some reason the 2 teams do well against those teams then we will be one of the best divisions in the league after 1 season.This is truly a hellish road to the playoffs. but even going .500 agianst that line up is still good for any division Anad there is no telling about seattle. They did win the division and beat the Defending champs.
Depending on how FA goes I could see a 4 way tie for 1st place in our division. The Rams with another year under Bradford should be able to muster 8-9 wins. If the Cards get Kolb the should also be capable of winning 8-9 games. The Niners should be capable of winning 8-9 as well. The Seahawks depending on what they do at QB this year could easily win 8-9 games as too...

I think its going to be a dog fight in the NFC west this year. With all the teams in the division looking to stake their legitimate claim as the divisions top dog.
[ Edited by PiratePete on Jul 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM ]
Ask me this question after FA. QB is a huge factor.

Hasellback = NFC Favorite

Bradford + McDaniel = Oh, s**t.

Tards - Warner = Cooked bird

Harbaugh + Smith = 8 - 8
With the AFC North and NFC East on schedule, don't be surprise if another non-winning record wins the division.

Share 49ersWebzone