There are 171 users in the forums

Moment that transcends the sport

Shop 49ers game tickets
O.J chase
Brett Favre 4 td game.
Lebrick james and the heat losing to Dirk

The Braves finally winning a WS after making it there like 4-5 straight years (or 4-7 seasons or something)
Tiger Woods catching a beat down from his wife.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
The catch.

This and many other well-known plays.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
New Orleans winning a superbowl
Brett Favre (somehow he does it every offseason)
Namath leading the jets to victory? idk lol

Those are the closest I could think of... BUT

Favre only mattered to sports fans, and did the Namath SB really mean much outside of football? It meant a ton for football... but outside of it? The NO superbowl would have been had it happened a few years sooner, but by that time as great as it was, it didn't have a strong enough connection to the tragedy. I still can't think of a re-defining moment.

Not many non-sports fans cared about all the things you mentioned for the other sports, either.

Seems like you just don't want to accept anything as a legitimate answer.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Favre only mattered to sports fans, and did the Namath SB really mean much outside of football? It meant a ton for football... but outside of it? The NO superbowl would have been had it happened a few years sooner, but by that time as great as it was, it didn't have a strong enough connection to the tragedy. I still can't think of a re-defining moment.

Not many non-sports fans cared about all the things you mentioned for the other sports, either.

I would disagree. Surely Jackie Robinson and Luis/Schmeling fight were of enormous social consequence. Michael Jordan was such a phenomenon that while non-basketball fans didn't care about him, everyone was a basketball fan when he played. Sure he didn't have the same type of social impact that effected non-sports fans, but his persona had a certain magic to it. As for the HR chase, this was the biggest story in every newspaper for months. Not just on record day, not just a day or week after, but literally everyday, everwhere. Every talk show spoke about it, every news cast ended with a counter. Sports talk centered entirely on the HR chase. Pats going 16-0 was big, but not even in the ballpark (no pun intended) of the HR chase. But Favre Watch was close. Not that it was a great moment, but in the amount of coverage it got. You may disagree, but I think these moments transcended sports to even non-sports fans. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth"... come on! Everyone knows that! EVERYONE!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
CBA
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
The catch.

This and many other well-known plays.
"The Catch" was a big reason I became a Niner Fan. I was maybe 2 when it happened but everytime I saw a highlight of that play growing up in San Diego, I knew it was big. It just looked like a miracle had happened.
The same for the G. Hill to Latner Duke game. I saw the highlight and fell in love with the bluedevils. Those highlights will be played for the next 100 years...

I would disagree. Surely Jackie Robinson and Luis/Schmeling fight were of enormous social consequence. Michael Jordan was such a phenomenon that while non-basketball fans didn't care about him, everyone was a basketball fan when he played. Sure he didn't have the same type of social impact that effected non-sports fans, but his persona had a certain magic to it. As for the HR chase, this was the biggest story in every newspaper for months. Not just on record day, not just a day or week after, but literally everyday, everwhere. Every talk show spoke about it, every news cast ended with a counter. Sports talk centered entirely on the HR chase. Pats going 16-0 was big, but not even in the ballpark (no pun intended) of the HR chase. But Favre Watch was close. Not that it was a great moment, but in the amount of coverage it got. You may disagree, but I think these moments transcended sports to even non-sports fans. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth"... come on! Everyone knows that! EVERYONE!

Just because something is being jammed down your throat by the media doesn't mean people start to care about it if they didn't previously. The people who care about it are the people who took an interest in the first place. Example: the OJ Simpson case (not sports related). I didn't give a damn about it, but the media never let me forget about it. I still didn't care though. The people that followed it are the people who were interested in it from the jump. Same thing with things like the HR race. Sure, people discussed it more often, but that's because the people who cared about it probably used it as small talk. Do you really think that people who didn't like baseball before the HR chase all of a sudden became fans of the sport after the HR chase? I don't think so. They probably quit watching as soon as it was done - just like the people who tuned in for the football moments you rejected. You either take an interest in the sport or you don't.

I hate golf, but I tuned in when everyone was buzzing about Tiger Woods. Did that make me a golf fan? Hell no. I'm guessing the Patriots going 16-0 and getting huge coverage as the first team to ever do it (Bears were 14-0) and make the Super Bowl probably caused a lot of non-football fans to tune in because they wanted to see what happened with them. They probably never watched again, however, which is probably the case with non-fans of every sport you mentioned after the events you brought up.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:18 PM ]

Just because something is being jammed down your throat by the media doesn't mean people start to care about it if they didn't previously. The people who care about it are the people who took an interest in the first place. Example: the OJ Simpson case (not sports related). I didn't give a damn about it, but the media never let me forget about it. I still didn't care though. The people that followed it are the people who were interested in it from the jump. Same thing with things like the HR race. Sure, people discussed it more often, but that's because the people who cared about it probably used it as small talk. Do you really think that people who didn't like baseball before the HR chase all of a sudden became fans of the sport after the HR chase? I don't think so. They probably quit watching as soon as it was done - just like the people who tuned in for the football moments you rejected. You either take an interest in the sport or you don't.

I hate golf, but I tuned in when everyone was buzzing about Tiger Woods. Did that make me a golf fan? Hell no. I'm guessing the Patriots going 16-0 and getting huge coverage as the first team to ever do it (Bears were 14-0) and make the Super Bowl probably caused a lot of non-football fans to tune in because they wanted to see what happened with them. They probably never watched again, however, which is probably the case with non-fans of every sport you mentioned after the events you brought up.

That's the point I'm making. These people didn't become baseball fans, but that moment appealed to, or was at least followed, by even those that didn't care about baseball before, nor since. And just because you say you didn't care about the OJ trial, there's no question to the magnitude of that case. Media coverage is very reflective of a transcending moment.

That's the point I'm making. These people didn't become baseball fans, but that moment appealed to, or was at least followed, by even those that didn't care about baseball before, nor since. And just because you say you didn't care about the OJ trial, there's no question to the magnitude of that case. Media coverage is very reflective of a transcending moment.

And you don't think the Patriots going undefeated into the Super Bowl appealed to outsiders? Sorry, but it did. Those who didn't follow football still wanted to see if they could get it done.

My whole point is people followed, just like they followed other sports for the moments you mentioned. So why do you still reject the football moments? They had the same effect on the outsiders as the situations you credit as transcending to other sports - it made them watch.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM ]
Dennis Rodman joins the nWo

And you don't think the Patriots going undefeated into the Super Bowl appealed to outsiders? Sorry, but it did. Those who didn't follow football still wanted to see if they could get it done.

My whole point is people followed, just like they followed other sports for the moments you mentioned. So why do you still reject the football moments? They had the same effect on the outsiders as the situations you credit as transcending to other sports - it made them watch.

You think those football moments had the same effect? The pats going undefeated (well... 18-1)? I don't know, you might be right. I just don't remember the same type of reaction. But like I said, I'm calling it how I see it, clearly not as a statement of fact.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Sports often have moments that are so big that they appeal to even those that don't normally watch the sport. Baseball has had many such moments, starting with the early part of last century (Lough Gehrig's speech, Jackie Robinson, etc.) and even more recently with the Sosa/McGuire/Griffey (later to be Sosa/McGuire) HR record chase. Basketball enjoyed a full decade of this through the stardom of Michael Jordan. I've never seen anything like that--people who couldn't care less about any sport were absolutely mesmerized by MJ. Boxing also had many such moments, the one example that most readily comes to mind being the Joe Luis/Max Schneling bouts. The olympics are constantly packed with moments like this, and Soccer's worldwide popularity is a transcendence in its own right. But has this ever happened in football? Please help, because I can't recall anything that would qualify!

way to leave out Barry Bonds homerun record chase lol. hatin...

In my mind the season home run record is still 61 by Roger Maris for a 162 game season and 60 by Babe Ruth in a 154 game season. Hank Aaron is still the career leader with 755. The steroid era tainted baseball records. What makes
Bonds so disgusting is he would have been a top ten career home run hitter with out cheating. Then he claims he was clean after gaining 30 pounds of muscle over night, a real arrogant jerk thinking people are stupid enough to believe his lies.

i guess Hank Aaron being on amphetamines and playing in the smallest park in baseball make his 755 homeruns greater than Bonds 762 in a much bigger park. steroids dont make you hit the ball more accurately, otherwise conseco would be the best homerun hitter of all times, roger clements took roids too how come he doesnt have a gazillion homeruns??? bonds is the homerun champ, single season record and all time record. total package, offense and defense, arguably the best player who ever played, only one close or even comparable to bonds for G.O.A.T. was his Godfather Willie Mays. haters gonna hate
Sports often have moments that are so big that they appeal to even those that don't normally watch the sport. Baseball has had many such moments, starting with the early part of last century (Lough Gehrig's speech, Jackie Robinson, etc.) and even more recently with the Sosa/McGuire/Griffey (later to be Sosa/McGuire) HR record chase. Basketball enjoyed a full decade of this through the stardom of Michael Jordan. I've never seen anything like that--people who couldn't care less about any sport were absolutely mesmerized by MJ. Boxing also had many such moments, the one example that most readily comes to mind being the Joe Luis/Max Schneling bouts. The olympics are constantly packed with moments like this, and Soccer's worldwide popularity is a transcendence in its own right. But has this ever happened in football? Please help, because I can't recall anything that would qualify!

In my mind the season home run record is still 61 by Roger Maris for a 162 game season and 60 by Babe Ruth in a 154 game season. Hank Aaron is still the career leader with 755. The steroid era tainted baseball records. What makes
Bonds so disgusting is he would have been a top ten career home run hitter with out cheating. Then he claims he was clean after gaining 30 pounds of muscle over night, a real arrogant jerk thinking people are stupid enough to believe his lies.
Except, you dont know that maris wasnt cheating either, do you? amphetamine use in baseball was rampant, for many years. Even Willy Mays is guilty of that.

i guess Hank Aaron being on amphetamines and playing in the smallest park in baseball make his 755 homeruns greater than Bonds 762 in a much bigger park. steroids dont make you hit the ball more accurately, otherwise conseco would be the best homerun hitter of all times, roger clements took roids too how come he doesnt have a gazillion homeruns??? bonds is the homerun champ, single season record and all time record. total package, offense and defense, arguably the best player who ever played, only one close or even comparable to bonds for G.O.A.T. was his Godfather Willie Mays. haters gonna hate
Clemens was a pitcher..... they helped him pitch better. This is not disputable. You dont think Steroids and hgh add power to your swing? Sure you have to know how to swing but you think the inflated HR numbers in the 90s and early 00s are just a coincidence? Thats naivety.
this thread is a great example of how many people don't quite understand what the word transcends means.

Share 49ersWebzone