LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 335 users in the forums

Marty Mornhinweg: “I think Michael Vick can be better than Steve Young”

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Esco:
I'm just happy we can actually compare a black quarterback to a white one now.

maybe it's because I wasn't a fan til '01 when I moved to the states, and I do know Steve's body of work and I'm a fan, but this statement is pretty legit, and there's no shame in that.

it's all about where Vick will stand when it's all said and done. To be fair, the dog fighting issue will always take a hit on his rep so as far as all the off-field stuff he may never be place above Steve, but on the field ....

Bayless is a douche. He agreed with all this on First take this morning. Basically discredited everything Steve did up until he won the SB at 33. Even then he made excuses for the 49ers winning (Switzer first year, Emmitt hurt in the 1st quarter - I don't remember that).

Even though he didn't win the SB until 33 he was the league MVP and the best player at his position prior to that. Vick has been none of that s**t.
Originally posted by Harbaugh52:

Jamarcus Russell to Ryan Leaf?

Progress

Cam Newton to Tim Tebow?

Progress

Cam Newton to Tim Tebow?

Akili Smith and Tim Couch?
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Progress

Cam Newton to Tim Tebow?

Cam Newton to Mike Vick?
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Progress

Cam Newton to Tim Tebow?

Cam Newton to Mike Vick?

which one is more white?
Steve Young has 4-straight passing titles; Vick cannot even complete a game with 15 or more completions (even if he wanted to).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Steve Young has 4-straight passing titles; Vick cannot even complete a game with 15 or more completions (even if he wanted to).

Yeah. I give Vick credit, he's a legit passer now and a complete qb but no Steve Young.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Vick is great no doubt. But when you compare him and say he can be better then Young? Boy what ever drugs your on, I'd like to order two please.

No, Vick is not great. He's had ONE good year. That doesn't equal greatness. He has the potential and physical ability to be great, but it hasn't translated on the field outside of last season. Let's not forget he was less than average before that - even with all that physical ability.

I do agree that Vick COULD be better than Steve, or any QB in history. But is he? Absolutely not. He doesn't have it in him mentally. He doesn't make the decisions of a great QB. He doesn't have the accuracy of a great QB, either. What he does have is a pretty strong arm and the ability to evade tacklers, the latter of which is unmatched by any QB in NFL history, and he's in a good system with fantastic receiving targets that is run by a great coach.

I saw one guy make a comment about Alex Smith and Vick having similar numbers before last season and he pretty much implied that good coaching would make Alex a very good QB. That may be true, but physically, Alex Smith is nowhere near Vick's level and he won't have the speedy targets that they have in Philly, so expecting a Vick-like surge out of Alex is going overboard.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Can't wait to hear this board's always unbiased and fair review of statements like this.

LOL.

I don't disagree with Morningwegh. Will he be as good as Steve? Who knows. But Mike is faster, he's more elusive, has a stronger arm. He doesn't have the football smarts and isn't as accurate...but my my my does he look good. If he puts everything together, he can be.

Didn't Vick follow Steve growing up? When he was with the Falcons I think I saw that Steve was his fave player growing up.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Vick is great no doubt. But when you compare him and say he can be better then Young? Boy what ever drugs your on, I'd like to order two please.

No, Vick is not great. He's had ONE good year. That doesn't equal greatness. He has the potential and physical ability to be great, but it hasn't translated on the field outside of last season. Let's not forget he was less than average before that - even with all that physical ability.

I do agree that Vick COULD be better than Steve, or any QB in history. But is he? Absolutely not. He doesn't have it in him mentally. He doesn't make the decisions of a great QB. He doesn't have the accuracy of a great QB, either. What he does have is a pretty strong arm and the ability to evade tacklers, the latter of which is unmatched by any QB in NFL history, and he's in a good system with fantastic receiving targets that is run by a great coach.

I saw one guy make a comment about Alex Smith and Vick having similar numbers before last season and he pretty much implied that good coaching would make Alex a very good QB. That may be true, but physically, Alex Smith is nowhere near Vick's level and he won't have the speedy targets that they have in Philly, so expecting a Vick-like surge out of Alex is going overboard.

How does a less than average QB go to multiple pro-bowls?
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

9er fans can be so terribly biased it's sickening.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

END THREAD

Young was such a boss

He is why i'm a niner fan Favorite QB of all time
NEVER, in a million years......
He's had accuracy issues his whole career, so no. If he wins the big game it could be revisited but doubtful even then.
Share 49ersWebzone