LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Marty Mornhinweg: “I think Michael Vick can be better than Steve Young”

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
If you want to get an up close look at what the offense of the Philadelphia Eagles in the upcoming season hinges on, check out the article about Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg which was written by Marcus Hayes on Philly.com.

Mornhinweg talks about seeing Steve Young in Michael Vick, when the Eagles signed him. He believed Vick could regain his greatness.

“Here was a man who hasn’t played for a couple of years. However, if he did it the right way, I thought he could be a Steve Young-type player.”

The Birds offensive coordinator doesn’t believe there’s a limit to how good Vick can be.

“Mike’s got a long way to go, but, you know what? I think he can be better than Steve.”

Remember that Young is in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame and he led the San Francisco 49ers to a Super Bowl title. Mornhinweg stressed the fact that Vick needs to improve his play against the blitz.

Last season, Vick was sacked 34 times in only 372 passing attempts. The offensive coordinator will expect Vick to do a better job of getting the football out of his hands and into the hands of his receivers.

“Most sacks were quarterback-related. The quarterback could get the thing out,” Mornhinweg says. Vick often can escape, but that is not always the best course”.

“Here is the situation Mike is in. He’s got uncommon athleticism, so he can get away, on occasion, back-dooring it. There’s that fine line when you need to throw it away or get it out to a hot receiver or use that athleticism to make that great play.”

Wow...

[ Edited by VDSF on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM ]

END THREAD
Says the guy who chose to kick the ball in OT
Vick is great no doubt. But when you compare him and say he can be better then Young? Boy what ever drugs your on, I'd like to order two please.
He can run faster and throw the ball harder and thats it. I really dont think that makes Vick a better QB than Young.
Originally posted by FreddyG:
He can run faster and throw the ball harder and thats it. I really dont think that makes Vick a better QB than Young.

He didn't say he is better than Young he said he has the chance to be better. Look at his performance against the Giants last year, no other player in NFL history could have done what he did in that game. A couple more seasons under Andy Reid and he will be even better inside the pocket. If he wins a superbowl its not that crazy of a debate.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM ]
Says could be...which means very little other than giving his QB some positive motivation. If Vick gets injured, Kolb will be the next potential Johnny U.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by FreddyG:

He didn't say he is better than Young he said he has the chance to be better. Look at his performance against the Giants last year, no other player in NFL history could have done what he did in that game. A couple more seasons under Andy Reid and he will be even better inside the pocket. If he wins a superbowl its not that crazy of a debate.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Can't wait to hear this board's always unbiased and fair review of statements like this.
Well he's probably more physically talented but that doesn't make him better

If he plays like he did last year for the rest of his career he can go down as one of the best QBs of all time.

He was nearly unstoppable last year.

But that was just one year

Not convinced. Time will tell.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Can't wait to hear this board's always unbiased and fair review of statements like this.

Whats your point? This is a fan site. What do you expect? You want serious and unbiaised neutral comment and you come to a fan website?
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I'm just happy we can actually compare a black quarterback to a white one now.
Originally posted by Esco:

Jamarcus Russell to Ryan Leaf?
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Harbaugh52:
Originally posted by Esco:

Jamarcus Russell to Ryan Leaf?

Progress
Share 49ersWebzone