There are 145 users in the forums

The Cowboys are a mess on defense

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think you may be overrating dal defense. The niners dl front is great against the run and avg against the pass although smith got the most sacks for a 3 4 de.

And our lbs are in fact awesome. Willis is the best lb in the league and spikes still kicks ass. The olbs are above avg we all know lawson is great vs he run and avt against the pass and brooks too.

Dallas secondary always gets burned however the niners secondary especially clements ALMOST always holds fitz to some of his worst days. The niners secondary is a lot better than dallas and safeties are certainly better even without goldson.

So again LOL WUT? dallas d IS a mess. The niners d is solid.

Great against the run but average against the pass does not mean the DL is great which was your original statement. Average and greatness are 2 very different things....

Fitzgerald has turned in at least 1 strong performance in each of the last 4 seasons (since Nate has been here) except for 2008. It's no secret that this team needs to get better at corner.

I never claimed the Dallas defense to be great or any one unit on that defense to be great, but they are not some huge defensive mess. The welcome coaching change should in itself help that defense immensely. The Dallas defense underperformed last year plain and simple. But they have talent, the potential is there if they can add a couple of pieces (much like us). I don't overrate them, and I think they will be a good but not great defense in 2011.

But by reading what you wrote above it is clear that you overrate us when you consider our LB'ing core to be awesome and our DL to be great.

I think its clear that you underrate the niners d and overrate the cowboys d. If they underperformed on d i will say the same about our pass d as well. I think you ignore the fact that we owned the cards WITH warner and fitz so we underperformed more so than dal defense....after all we had the good safety play two years ago and they did not. Also it seems that our dl is way better than you think because last time i checked......and the rest of the football knowledgeable world......3 - 4 d lineman dont get many sacks so as a whole smith is probably the best de in a 3-4 in the nfl....more sacks than peppers when franklin is amond the best at his position.

Lets review franklin top 5 nt and justin smith best 3-4 de so that would IN FACT BE A GREAT dl.

Have a nice day.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
-Rotating the 3 LB's to keep them fresh doesn't make them a mess.

-Carter would have to earn a starting job even if he was healthy.

-Since there is no FA period yet, of course their are some unsettled positions like both safety spots.

One could make the same or similar assumptions about us...who is starting at NT (If Soap then who is starting opposite Smith?) ? Who is starting at WOLB ? Who starts at CB (other than Spencer) if Nate walks or gets walking papers ? Who is our starting SS ?

Why do you love the Cowboys? WHY??

I don't. I just love witten, Austin, Bryant, Ware & Ratliff. But I am a football fan not just a 49ers fan.

gtfomfpabh

-Since there is no FA period yet, of course their are some unsettled positions like both safety spots.

One could make the same or similar assumptions about us...who is starting at NT (If Soap then who is starting opposite Smith?) ? Who is starting at WOLB ? Who starts at CB (other than Spencer) if Nate walks or gets walking papers ? Who is our starting SS ?

You do know they were the worst defense in dallas history... I heard that wade had 5 plays he called all season maybe he was trying to tank it, but everyone got burned on that defense! Besides now they have a head coach that is all about offense and has no idea what to do with a s**tty defense and jerry jones has lost his mind!!! Maybe Rex Ryan will be able to fix the ship on D!!!
  • evil
  • Veteran
I think you may be overrating dal defense. The niners dl front is great against the run and avg against the pass although smith got the most sacks for a 3 4 de.

And our lbs are in fact awesome. Willis is the best lb in the league and spikes still kicks ass. The olbs are above avg we all know lawson is great vs he run and avt against the pass and brooks too.

Dallas secondary always gets burned however the niners secondary especially clements ALMOST always holds fitz to some of his worst days. The niners secondary is a lot better than dallas and safeties are certainly better even without goldson.

So again LOL WUT? dallas d IS a mess. The niners d is solid.

Great against the run but average against the pass does not mean the DL is great which was your original statement. Average and greatness are 2 very different things....

Fitzgerald has turned in at least 1 strong performance in each of the last 4 seasons (since Nate has been here) except for 2008. It's no secret that this team needs to get better at corner.

I never claimed the Dallas defense to be great or any one unit on that defense to be great, but they are not some huge defensive mess. The welcome coaching change should in itself help that defense immensely. The Dallas defense underperformed last year plain and simple. But they have talent, the potential is there if they can add a couple of pieces (much like us). I don't overrate them, and I think they will be a good but not great defense in 2011.

But by reading what you wrote above it is clear that you overrate us when you consider our LB'ing core to be awesome and our DL to be great.

I think its clear that you underrate the niners d and overrate the cowboys d. If they underperformed on d i will say the same about our pass d as well. I think you ignore the fact that we owned the cards WITH warner and fitz so we underperformed more so than dal defense....after all we had the good safety play two years ago and they did not. Also it seems that our dl is way better than you think because last time i checked......and the rest of the football knowledgeable world......3 - 4 d lineman dont get many sacks so as a whole smith is probably the best de in a 3-4 in the nfl....more sacks than peppers when franklin is amond the best at his position.

Lets review franklin top 5 nt and justin smith best 3-4 de so that would IN FACT BE A GREAT dl.

Have a nice day.

Owned the Cards with Warner and Fitz ? We were 4-5 vs Arizona WITH Kurt Warner (from 2005-2009). That is not owning. We beat them twice in 2009, but that is not the end all be all, we just had their number in 2009, but they won more games and went on to the Super Bowl.

Franklin may be a top 5 3-4 NT, but that isn't saying a lot. The quality of 3-4 NT's has declined in the last few years. Franklin is not elite, however he is a solid player. And Franklin is a free agent so he is not able to be counted.

As for Justin Smith, one could argue him being the best 5 technique however one could also make a case for Haloti Ngata, Darnell Dockett and even Aaron Smith. Personally I think Ngata is far and away the best 3-4 DL in the league regardless of where he gets lined up.

As for sacks they are not going to define how good of a football player one is. There is more to the game and more to being a DL or even a 3-4 OLB than sacks. I have no doubts Justin Smith is one of the top 5 at his position, but I don't look at him getting more sacks than Peppers and decide that he is the best 3-4 end because of it.

The 49er defense has been good the last 2 years but not great and we still have holes to fill and areas that need to be refined and or improved. We have question marks up front on the DL due to Franklin's free agent status, we have question marks as to the OLB position, we have question marks in the secondary (whereas Dallas has it's question marks at ILB, OLB and in the secondary).
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

You do know they were the worst defense in dallas history... I heard that wade had 5 plays he called all season maybe he was trying to tank it, but everyone got burned on that defense! Besides now they have a head coach that is all about offense and has no idea what to do with a s**tty defense and jerry jones has lost his mind!!! Maybe Rex Ryan will be able to fix the ship on D!!!

It's Rob Ryan and how do you know that Jason Garrett has no idea what to do with his defense ? He may not be a DC but as an OC (and former QB) he can look at it from the offensive perspective, which is no different than the position Jim Harbaugh is in.

It was quite obvious that the defense quit on Wade Phillips last year.

Also while they may have surrendered the most points (IIRC) in Dallas Cowboys history, that same defense was ranked 2nd in fewest points surrendered in 2009.
The 49ers by contrast were 16th in 2010 and 4th in 2009 (and the St. Louis Rams went from 31st in 2009 to 12th in 2010).
This is directed at KRS1 who by the way was a great artist that I really enjoyed growing up.

I think most everyone would agree that the Niners defense is the strongest asset to the team. On the other hand Dallas is more of an offensive team. Last year Dallas was the 7th ranked offensive unit in the NFL. While the Niners were ranked 24th and the offense couldnt sustain a drive to keep the defense off the field.

The Niners defense finished as the 13 ranked defense in the NFL with the Highest TOP(ranked 9th highest in a defenses time on the field) of the top 17 defenses. Dallas was ranked the 23rd defense in the NFL and they had the 12th lowest TOP(because of the offense) in the league. If the Niners had the 7th ranked offense I can pretty much say with certainty that they would be a top 10 defense and probably a top 5 defense at that.

With looking at all the facts I cant see how one can conclude that the Niners defense is a mess. In fact I`d say its just the opposite. The 49ers defense with a little help on offense would be down right dominate.

The same can definately not be said about the Dallas defense. So I stick by my original post with the claim that the Dallas defense is a mess and worse off then last year infact.

I will conclude with this. I agree with a previous poster who claimed that your love for Dallas is blinding you. At this point its painfully obvious that you are basing your "OPINION" on nothing but lust! Because you are definately not using facts! Perhaps you are on the wrong forum?
[ Edited by PiratePete on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM ]

I don't. I just love witten, Austin, Bryant, Ware & Ratliff. But I am a football fan not just a 49ers fan.

Originally posted by PiratePete:
This is directed at KRS1 who by the way was a great artist that I really enjoyed growing up.

I think most everyone would agree that the Niners defense is the strongest asset to the team. On the other hand Dallas is more of an offensive team. Last year Dallas was the 7th ranked offensive unit in the NFL. While the Niners were ranked 24th and the offense couldnt sustain a drive to keep the defense off the field.

The Niners defense finished as the 13 ranked defense in the NFL with the Highest TOP(ranked 9th highest in a defenses time on the field) of the top 17 defenses. Dallas was ranked the 23rd defense in the NFL and they had the 12th lowest TOP(because of the offense) in the league. If the Niners had the 7th ranked offense I can pretty much say with certainty that they would be a top 10 defense and probably a top 5 defense at that.

With looking at all the facts I cant see how one can conclude that the Niners defense is a mess. In fact I`d say its just the opposite. The 49ers defense with a little help on offense would be down right dominate.

The same can definately not be said about the Dallas defense. So I stick by my original post with the claim that the Dallas defense is a mess and worse off then last year infact.

I will conclude with this. I agree with a previous poster who claimed that your love for Dallas is blinding you. At this point its painfully obvious that you are basing your "OPINION" on nothing but lust! Because you are definately not using facts! Perhaps you are on the wrong forum?

this is what happens when someone is wrong....he keeps trying to argue his points when they are clearly wrong. definition of insanity much????? KRS 1 is quite blind in the fact that he can not accept that his statements about the niners are wrong and about dallas are very wrong.....a key word in all of this is WRONG....isnt it. No sane person would argue that the niners D is a mess and most everyone would argue quite the opposite that the niners d is quite good and dallas d is not only bad but quite a mess.

Its ammusing really when someone wont give up and admit they are wrong....sounds like a scornful wife or girlfriend that loves to argue...i just say screw it, he knows by now that this insanity in his arguments is just that.

The niners d is very good and secondary is the only weakness and even then its average whereas dal d is bad at every level and they only have ware and ratliff.

Romo asks, "why you no love me?"
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PiratePete:

First of all, I have no love for Dallas. I have one team whom I love and that is the San Francisco 49ers however I am a football fan and I actually don't despise a single NFL team (however I do despise a few college teams and am also a very big college football fan). I am not biased towards my team unlike IMHO 90% of the posters on this site. Too many here show a biased opinion on a consistent basis.

Not using facts ? It was stated in this thread that we owned Arizona with Warner and Fitz but as I pointed out that with them both we are 4-5, that is fact. It was also stated that Clements almost always holds Fitz to his worst performances yet in every season Nate has been here but one Fitz has had at least one big game in the 2 annual meetings, again that is fact.

What facts did you present ? That RayMac on the field = 2 Justin Smith's ? That is not fact, if it were RayMac would have been a 3 down player all of last season or at least gotten many more reps.

I also never once claimed Dallas to be great or even to be better than us, I did claim that we may be more of a mess defensively than they were (that does not mean we are a mess it was a comparison between the 2 defenses). Typical though of biased opinions to twist what was originally said or not comprehend what was written because they see red when someone says something about their team that they take offense to. Maybe you and elguapo should try looking at things from different perspectives before assuming the poster you are responding must be flat out wrong.

As far as Dallas being the 7th ranked offense, statistics can be deceiving. Dallas was ranked 7th offensively....because of their passing game (weapons like Witten, Austin, Bryant and even Roy Williams will do that for you). On the ground they were ranked 16th. They scored 29 TD's in the air vs 10 on the ground.

Indianapolis was ranked 4th offensively, because they were the #1 through the air. On the ground they were 29th. 33 TD's in the air, 13 on the ground.

For a team that you and elguapo are trying to argue as being a big defensive mess, look at what they did in the draft this year : 8 draft picks, 6 offensive players, 2 defensive players. That is fact. They took a value pick at 40 with Bruce Carter, but the pick does involve risk as a lot is dependant on how well he recovers from his ACL injury. They took a DB in the 5th round (pick 143), Josh Thomas. This kid will be playing special teams mostly this year, he may get a chance in sub packages once he is refined/developed a little more.

In 2010 they took an ILB in Sean Lee whom they had ranked 14th overall on their big board at 55. Big time value in Dallas' eyes. It was a need pick due to the aging group they had at ILB. They took a FS in the 4th (Owusu-Ansah) as they have long since needed to get better at safety, a CB in the 6th (who didn't make the final roster) and a DL in the 7th who is still with the team but has barely seen the light of day.

In large part the defensive problems in Dallas were due to the players not buying into what Wade Phillips was selling anymore. It's evidenced by the fact that they weren't looking to bolster the defense through the draft this year. Dallas used 5 draft picks in this draft to attempt to improve the run game and protect the QB (3 OL + 2 RB's). This was the first time in the Jerry Jones-Dallas Cowboys era they took an OL in round 1. That's over 20 years.

Warren Sapp on Rob Ryan and the Dallas D :

Quote:
As one of the best tackles to play in the NFL over the last 20 years, Sapp has witnessed his share of quality defenses. And he believes that the NFL lockout won’t hurt Ryan’s ability to implement his system.

Sapp preached Tuesday about how defenses are ahead of the offenses when training camp starts, and he doesn’t see it being different when the NFL resumes play. His opinion is that the Cowboys have the players on defense to be successful and Ryan is the right guy to lead them.

“Trust me, don’t worry about it,” Sapp said. “The 11 guys on the field that he has in-tuned to what they’re doing, they’re going to love it, because it empowers the people on the field that you make the decisions. You know your strengths, you know your weaknesses, you know your teammates, and that’s the best thing that Dallas has.

“All their guys are pretty much intact. And when you have guys that are intact, and you look around, and I know (Keith) Brookings and I know Bradie James , there’s (DeMarcus) Ware, there’s Anthony Spencer, there’s (Jay) Ratliff, we know our system, we know our guys. Now we just have to implement our strengths to what Rob has us doing. Trust me, it’s going to be real easy for them to get to where they want to go. He loves matchups, and Dallas (causes) matchup problems all across the board. They have athletes. … That defense will bite this year, I promise you that.”

Secondary coach Dave Campo and backup LB'er Victor Butler :

Quote:
reserve outside linebacker Victor Butler could hardly contain his enthusiasm.

“I’m super excited,” he said Tuesday.

He’s not alone. In the dead of winter, when the Cowboys were only six weeks removed from a disappointing 6-10 season that cost coach Wade Phillips his job, secondary coach Dave Campo had a similar reaction when the conversation turned to Ryan’s master plan. Almost on cue, a wide grin creased his face.

“It kind of rejuvenates me,” he said. “When you do something new, it juices you back up.”

As the NFL has receded into dormancy during the lockout, Ryan’s unconventional methodology has become an object of fascination among Cowboys fans, players and coaches. They eagerly anticipate movement before the snap, unusual alignments, aggressive tactics and unorthodox personnel decisions.

“You’ve got d-linemen lining up at the free safety spot,” Butler crowed. “It’s crazy.”

It’s also a departure from a bygone era, when the Cowboys, according to Campo, “were pretty simple in the early-90s and were pretty simple with Wade.”

Buddy Ryan and Bob Mazie :

Quote:
former NFL coach Buddy Ryan was earning praise for his ability to devise innovative defensive schemes and motivate players. He said many of his best qualities have been passed on to his two twin sons, one of whom is Rob Ryan, the Cowboys' new defensive coordinator.

"He gets the best out of his people," Buddy said. "He always has people giving 100 percent."

The secret to his success? People skills, says Bob Mazie, who coached the Ryan boys at Southwestern Oklahoma State.

"Players like them, Mazie added. "They're not boring. They're going to keep you alert. And the players are all going to listen."

Mazie, who was a scout with the Arizona Cardinals for 13 years, expects that Ryan will remove the culture of complacency that developed during the last days of Wade Phillips' tenure when the Cowboys' defense resembled a sieve.

"Wade is so laid-back," Mazie said. "He didn't motivate those guys. Rob will. He'll do a heckuva job."

Jerry Jones :

Quote:
``I've been impressed with how he (Ryan) has done with what he's had to work with, where he's been,'' Jones said. ``Sometimes those stats don't tell it all one way or the other on how your defense is ranked unless you get in and look at what the circumstances are and I know Jason did that and spent a lot of time.''

And we can go back to you stating Dallas taking Carter at 40 made it pretty obvious the expectations were for him to start from day 1 :

Quote:
If you speculate that Bruce Carter's selection in the second round could signal that veteran Keith Brooking is on his way out, you are way off base.

The Cowboys took Carter to develop behind Brooking and Bradie James. He will not be forced into the lineup although the club expects him to be a part of the rotation and contribute on special teams.

"One of the reasons we took him was because with Keith coming back, this will give him the time to get in and learn,'' owner Jerry Jones said. "He will be on special teams right away then come on. He'll play a lot.

"If he didn't have this knee injury, we think he would have gone in the first and that is pretty much the consensus around the league. But we've got a luxury because we have Brooking right now.''

Jones said the club will limit Carter in two-a-days but is confident he will be able to get on the field "sometime early.'' He really likes the young duo of Sean Lee and Carter at inside linebacker going forward.

"With his speed and pass coverage inside with Sean, it will be a unique combination in the future,'' Jones said.

Facts, evidence, proof. I backed my s**t up. Knowledge reigns supreme. I rest my case.

Quote:
I sit on the faculty
You, you sophomore

That was not only pathetic but sad....backing up your shhhhhi....yeah right. Let me quote a few coaches analysts like you did about a bad defense and magically it will all be ok. I can find countless quotes about alex smith and why he had a bad year much like you are doing for dallas d and making excuses. Sorry much like dallas d smith has performed bad because he is not that good. You my friend are in denial.

Maybe you should listen to the majority and accept that dallas d is IN FACT BAD AND A MESS and the niners d is solid.

We killed warner and co the last few times we played them and shut down their wr quite a bit. I was at the last two games with warner and our d destroyed them with little to no help from our offense. Fact.

Seek help. Denial can be an ugly thing. Heres a quote from your man sapp. Dallas is soft. Collinsworth...they cant stop the forward pass. You my friend are done. You lose. You get nothing. Good day sir
  • evil
  • Veteran
That was not only pathetic but sad....backing up your shhhhhi....yeah right. Let me quote a few coaches analysts like you did about a bad defense and magically it will all be ok. I can find countless quotes about alex smith and why he had a bad year much like you are doing for dallas d and making excuses. Sorry much like dallas d smith has performed bad because he is not that good. You my friend are in denial.

Maybe you should listen to the majority and accept that dallas d is IN FACT BAD AND A MESS and the niners d is solid.

We killed warner and co the last few times we played them and shut down their wr quite a bit. I was at the last two games with warner and our d destroyed them with little to no help from our offense. Fact.

Seek help. Denial can be an ugly thing. Heres a quote from your man sapp. Dallas is soft. Collinsworth...they cant stop the forward pass. You my friend are done. You lose. You get nothing. Good day sir

When a team spends only 2 draft picks out of 8 on it's defense, it shows it has confidence in the new coach and that the problem for the large part likely wasn't the talent but moreso the coaching.

Dallas was soft, under Wade Phillips. Was is the keyword there.

Under Rob Ryan they won't be. Different coaches, different philosophies, different methods of getting the most out of one's players. Ryan is NOT laid back, Phillips was that in itself is a big difference. The same man who said they were soft is saying they will bite this year. Why because he knows Ryan's D and his ability to coach guys up firsthand from playing for him. He has proven himself a very good DC in this league. And I am the one in denial ?

Just because they couldn't stop the forward pass doesn't mean they still can't, Ryan runs a much more aggressive style of defense and does a whole lot of things Wade Phillips does not like regularly disguising coverages, using movement before the snap and his playbook contains a wide array of blitz packages that can come from anywhere much like his brother in NY. When it comes to defense the Ryan brothers have shown to be just like their father, damn good at it.

The last 2 games Warner played vs us he threw for 288 yards and 178 yards respectively. Fitz had 6 catches for 71 yards and TD in the first game and was 2 for 22 the second time. But you said almost always and I pointed out otherwise, go look it up. FACT.

Who is this majority you speak of ? Because judging by the responses in the OP's thread in Niner Talk the majority of respected and knowledgeable veteran posters think our D is middle of the pack and still has some holes to fill for us to become a solid defense.

You must be over in Egypt right now, because you are the one in denial.
Originally posted by nflguy49:

LOLOLOL

me too! i just love Irvin, Aikman, Emmit, and Jerry Jones, but i dont like the cowboys
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by nflguy49:

LOLOLOL

me too! i just love Irvin, Aikman, Emmit, and Jerry Jones, but i dont like the cowboys

I always disliked Aikman and Emmitt but like Irvin. JJ is a good owner in the sense that it's obvious he wants to win however he needs to hire a real GM to run the team and meddle a little less in personnel affairs.

When a team spends only 2 draft picks out of 8 on it's defense, it shows it has confidence in the new coach and that the problem for the large part likely wasn't the talent but moreso the coaching.

Dallas was soft, under Wade Phillips. Was is the keyword there.

Under Rob Ryan they won't be. Different coaches, different philosophies, different methods of getting the most out of one's players. Ryan is NOT laid back, Phillips was that in itself is a big difference. The same man who said they were soft is saying they will bite this year. Why because he knows Ryan's D and his ability to coach guys up firsthand from playing for him. He has proven himself a very good DC in this league. And I am the one in denial ?

Just because they couldn't stop the forward pass doesn't mean they still can't, Ryan runs a much more aggressive style of defense and does a whole lot of things Wade Phillips does not like regularly disguising coverages, using movement before the snap and his playbook contains a wide array of blitz packages that can come from anywhere much like his brother in NY. When it comes to defense the Ryan brothers have shown to be just like their father, damn good at it.

The last 2 games Warner played vs us he threw for 288 yards and 178 yards respectively. Fitz had 6 catches for 71 yards and TD in the first game and was 2 for 22 the second time. But you said almost always and I pointed out otherwise, go look it up. FACT.

Who is this majority you speak of ? Because judging by the responses in the OP's thread in Niner Talk the majority of respected and knowledgeable veteran posters think our D is middle of the pack and still has some holes to fill for us to become a solid defense.

You must be over in Egypt right now, because you are the one in denial.

Here comes the little kid again....no you are in denial....this is quite funny.

You need to focus on how wrong you are and by the way the original point to this whole topic is dallas d is a mess and you actually had the blinded gall to say well so are the niners. WRONG you are wrong and that is the only fact here.

To say coaches are responsible for dallas d is pathetic and wrong. I got news for you. Its a small portion of why dallas d is bad its the lack of good players and talent. Bad lbs and horrible secondary......the majority of us RESPECTED and KNOWLEDGABLE FANS (mainly not you) agree you are wrong that dallas d is a mess and the niners D IS NOT A MESS and is in fact solid.

So again for the 20th time accept the FACT that dallas D is a mess and the niners on D are not. Go cry somewhere and accept the truth. I guess the reason why our secondary and every bad player on our team did poorly is because of our lack of coaching huh?????WRONG. Players like Haralson reggie smith Spencer Clements at times (yeah clements did punk Fitz recently - FACT) Alex Smith our OL players like Rachal its all coaching right??????

Wrong. As Darth Vader said....ALL Too easy.
Share 49ersWebzone