• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Steve Largent.

But the following deserve some mention :

Sterling Sharpe
James Lofton
Andre Reed

Sterling Sharpe, a man who has been largely forgotten, which is a shame.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:
Steve Largent.

Sterling Sharpe
James Lofton
Andre Reed

He may have been the 2nd best WR ever had his career not been cut short.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Janitor:
Steve Largent.

Sterling Sharpe
James Lofton
Andre Reed

He may have been the 2nd best WR ever had his career not been cut short.

Agreed.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

1102 receptions
14580 yards
128 tds

marvin harrison
  • mod
  • Veteran
carter
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Can't leave out Micheal Irvin

Yes, you most certainly can.

Everybody on that list is/was better than Irvin and there are at least a handful more that deserve to be on the list before him as well.

He was a good player on a great team, but nowhere near the 2nd best receiver in history. If he did what he did on another team during those years, nobody would ever think of placing him on this poll.

He had a couple great years and a few very good years playing for an overall great offense and was ALWAYS in the spotlight, so I would expect people to bring him up, but like I said, everybody else on that list is/was better.

Anyway, I'd go with Owens or Moss.

Only a someone who didn't watch Irvin play would think that way. He was a great receiver, deserves up there with the rest of those guys. Better than half of them.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
if not for bad luck, i think sterling sharp would be in the discussion for #2.
Lance Alworth
Fred Biletnikoff
Marvin Harrison
Michael Irvin

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Don Hutson

yup, this. Dude was the first really great WR, and you have to include him for his significance to the game.

The other WRs in this poll are all pretty great, but they only really represent one era--the era of the WR. Maybe "Hutson wouldn't make a team nowadays" (highly unlikely, even on a purely speculative level; if Don Hutson were born today and conditioned like athletes today are, is it impossible to think that he would make a team?), but he was a dominant player who owned a ton of records that stood for a long time.

That man growing up in this time would kill many of the players today.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Don Hutson

Agreed. Don Hutson.

There was no "passive interference emphasis" when he played. LOL. "The Clothesline" was just another form of tackling.

Absolutely, A two time NFL MVP and a 3 time champ. His 99 TDs catches held for 44 years. He played during an era where the Singletary concept of 3 yards and a cloud of dust held true meaning and as you alluded to going over the middle was a scary idea.

A great receiver and the only one, when debating who is the best ever, I will even consider as a rival to Rice.

Rice was still better though
Steve Largent.

Sterling Sharpe
James Lofton
Andre Reed

Andre Reed really flew under the radar didn't he? Hard to believe... No short list of best WR's would be complete without him, imo.

As for the question... Owens. Forget the drama, and focus on his skills and productivity.

Hutson's name is always mentioned, and perhaps rightfully so. However, as with any poll, I can only vote on what I have actually seen.
Charlie Joiner-
Charlie Joiner played pro football for 18 years, longer than any other wide receiver in history at the time of his retirement. When he retired at the age of 39 after the 1986 season with the San Diego Chargers, he ranked as the leading receiver of all-time with 750 catches.
Joiner, who was born October 14, 1947, in Many, Louisiana, was once described by San Francisco 49ers coaching great Bill Walsh as “the most intelligent, the smartest, the most calculating receiver the game has ever known.”
Calvin Johnson (in about 8 more years)

As of right now, I would take Randy Moss.
Share 49ersWebzone