LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

If there is no football, crime is gonna pick up........

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Lewis knows what he is talking about. He's really involved in the bad spots in B-more. The people down there live eat and sleep Ravens football.

Truth is, people are more likely to commit crime when they don't have something to do.

Imagine 80,000 people who would normally be in a stadium on sunday, and then add to that the number of people who would be tailgating or watching the game in some other manner.

With none of that, you can be damn sure crime will pick up. When I worked in the ER you could tell it was a weekend without even looking at the calendar, and you could also tell when the schools and colleges were done for the year, because then we had a s**tload more violent crime victims come in.

*note to self: If the season is cancelled, shank Janitor first.*

Actually the webzone is kind of a funny parody of what Lewis is talking about. I mean, look at this place since we have no football to talk about...

The zone seems the same to me or even quieter. If crime picked up on the weekends then did these criminals have jobs on the weekdays or was it due to more alcohol consumption in the weekend? Maybe it was the NFL on the weekend that caused more alcohol consumption that led to more crime. Also, what about those teams that lose more often than they win? Wouldn't fans be in bad moods and co more dumb things? I mean, these are the same people we think can't do the right thing if they have nothing to do so why give them any credit at all? Ray Lewis comments were based off of absolutely nothing and cannot be justified as even a theory.

If they have nothing to do then they will be bored and commit crimes. No football=more crimes. At least I think that is what his thought process is. Also football does increase alcohol consumption, but it is on all day so therefore you are occupied during that time so no crime would be committed during that time.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Lewis knows what he is talking about. He's really involved in the bad spots in B-more. The people down there live eat and sleep Ravens football.

Truth is, people are more likely to commit crime when they don't have something to do.

Imagine 80,000 people who would normally be in a stadium on sunday, and then add to that the number of people who would be tailgating or watching the game in some other manner.

With none of that, you can be damn sure crime will pick up. When I worked in the ER you could tell it was a weekend without even looking at the calendar, and you could also tell when the schools and colleges were done for the year, because then we had a s**tload more violent crime victims come in.

*note to self: If the season is cancelled, shank Janitor first.*

Actually the webzone is kind of a funny parody of what Lewis is talking about. I mean, look at this place since we have no football to talk about...

The zone seems the same to me or even quieter. If crime picked up on the weekends then did these criminals have jobs on the weekdays or was it due to more alcohol consumption in the weekend? Maybe it was the NFL on the weekend that caused more alcohol consumption that led to more crime. Also, what about those teams that lose more often than they win? Wouldn't fans be in bad moods and co more dumb things? I mean, these are the same people we think can't do the right thing if they have nothing to do so why give them any credit at all? Ray Lewis comments were based off of absolutely nothing and cannot be justified as even a theory.

If they have nothing to do then they will be bored and commit crimes. No football=more crimes. At least I think that is what his thought process is. Also football does increase alcohol consumption, but it is on all day so therefore you are occupied during that time so no crime would be committed during that time.

And if their team sucks and loses? Most fans would not be drinking if football wasn't on and alcohol is probably a big factor on whether or not people commit crimes more than free time.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
There are some players that should not talk to the media.........

What? He is right dude.

You really think crime is gonna pick up, cmon man!

Yeah, there are a lot of broke dudes with nothing to do and a s**tty life and if football isnt there to distract their attention a few of them might decide to rob people or steal some s**t or do more drugs. I mean I'm not sure if you know they type of people Ray is talking about, the guy knows what he's talking about. He works with a lot of homeless people to try and get them exercise and and help them work out as part of a charity kind of thing. He has actually been around poor people. I'm not saying that everybody will start looting or anything but I'm sure there are a few people who will get themselves in trouble with nothing to do.

NO FOOTBALL THIS SUNDAY???!!!!!!! THAT LIQUOR STORE DOWN THE STREET IS F*CKED!

its 3 hours out of a sunday, i doubt any criminals are clean the other 165 hours of the week and then decide to do something illegal cuz the chiefs are on strike.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

What? He is right dude.

Yeah, there are a lot of broke dudes with nothing to do and a s**tty life and if football isnt there to distract their attention a few of them might decide to rob people or steal some s**t or do more drugs. I mean I'm not sure if you know they type of people Ray is talking about, the guy knows what he's talking about. He works with a lot of homeless people to try and get them exercise and and help them work out as part of a charity kind of thing. He has actually been around poor people. I'm not saying that everybody will start looting or anything but I'm sure there are a few people who will get themselves in trouble with nothing to do.

its 3 hours out of a sunday, i doubt any criminals are clean the other 165 hours of the week and then decide to do something illegal cuz the chiefs are on strike.

3 hours out of a Sunday? WTF for me football lasts ALL DAY LONG!

I would like to see some statistics on crime during football season compared to when football is not in season.

What? He is right dude.

I would like to see some statistics on crime during football season compared to when football is not in season.

football for me is the niners, and then following fantasy players.

if all rapists, robbers, butt pirates, killers, drinkers, acid trippers, boston fans, arsoners, and petty thieves all played fantasy football, then yes maybe sunday crime mighttt be curbed just a little bit..

on a serious note the notion that not having a football season increases crime is ludicrous in my opinion, but i have no facts to support that.

Ray Lewis isn't even clean and he plays football??

What? He is right dude.

football for me is the niners, and then following fantasy players.

if all rapists, robbers, butt pirates, killers, drinkers, acid trippers, boston fans, arsoners, and petty thieves all played fantasy football, then yes maybe sunday crime mighttt be curbed just a little bit..

on a serious note the notion that not having a football season increases crime is ludicrous in my opinion, but i have no facts to support that.

Ray Lewis isn't even clean and he plays football??

To assume that criminals do not play fantasy football is pretty asinine. Fantasy sports are so huge right now that even chicks who don't watch sports are getting into it. I'm not saying that no football will increase crime but I'm not saying that it won't either. Anything is possible. You take away the one luxury a man has left and he just might do anything.
Yeah, and probably towards players and owners.
If there is no webzone because there is no football,work ethic is gonna pick up........
Ray Lewis is the motha f**kin man! Will go down as one of the greatest LB's ever. Enjoy watching him play while you can.
I understand what he is saying to a certain extent. When the Redskins play the streets are empty. There is no crime b/c everybody is watching the game. Now those same criminal element will be right back at it once the game is over. Now I don't see the NFL not being on tv making a guy go out and commit a crime b/c he has nothing at all to do.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Ray Lewis and some of these other athletes are way overrating what would happen without football. Lewis thinks crime will go up I think he is wrong if anything crime might actually go down.

Message to Ray Lewis: Football is something we watch for fun, its not that important that it will effect our everyday lives. Life will go on with or without football. Get a grip on reality, your game is not that important. America will find something else to fill the void.
I think you'll see a lot of athletes committing crimes, not so much the bored fans. Look how many football players get in trouble during football. Now add the fact that there are no obligations to the teams during the lock out and can't really be held accountable by the leagues policy. Should be fun.
He would know...and sadly may be right to a degree.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I understand what he is saying to a certain extent. When the Redskins play the streets are empty. There is no crime b/c everybody is watching the game. Now those same criminal element will be right back at it once the game is over. Now I don't see the NFL not being on tv making a guy go out and commit a crime b/c he has nothing at all to do.

So the criminals delay it for 3 hours. It doesn't mean they still won't commit the crime.

Bad Guy #1: Hey, we are going to rob this house guys. Check the schedule. What time the Redskins play?
#2: 1pm
#1: Pacific or Eastern?
#2: Pacific...no wait...Eastern?
#1: f**k man, don't do that, you're going to make us miss the game! OK, we will rob the house at 4 instead of 1pm

What I would like to see are the stats on Pizza sales.
I understand where Ray Lewis is coming from with that statement. What I will say is that there is no conclusive evidence to prove or disprove that notion yet I will admit there are many who live through them ie Financial support “entourages” and by them “As in the Hardcore Football Fan who Watches every game and plans around it”.

I will have to give him the benefit of the doubt crime may increase but not to an overblown rate.

People need to remember where some of theese players are coming from and there enviroments.
Share 49ersWebzone