LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 425 users in the forums

Few NFL rules Questions I need answered

Shop 49ers game tickets
1) Say its overtime & a running back has a break away run from his own 1 yard line, no one is going to tackle him & he will easily score he td. A player in the sideline, say the kicker, sees this & goes unto the field & tackles him before he scores the td. Will it still count as if he made the td or does the play end where he got tackled?

2) Say the Federal government makes weed a states right & marijuana becomes legal in California but stays illegal in Texas. If a player gets high in California can the nfl fine/suspend him? What if the nfl says ok now its time to reform our rules, & treats weed like alcohol. If a players gets high in Texas & breaks the law, will the nfl fine/suspend him?

3) Randy Moss got fined for not speaking to the media. I'm assuming it is written in a player's contract that they have to speak to the media or else they get fined. Can a player sign a contract that voids them to speak with the media?

I know its long but I always wanted to know the answers to these. Thank you very much.

[ Edited by Moolji on May 8, 2011 at 20:25:05 ]
Originally posted by Moolji:
1) Say its overtime & a running back has a break away run from his own 1 yard line, no one is going to tackle him & he will easily score he td. A player in the sideline, say the kicker, sees this & goes unto the field & tackles him before he scores the td. Will it still count as if he made the td or does the play end where he got tackled?

2) Say the Federal government makes weed a states right & marijuana becomes legal in California but stays illegal in Texas. If a player gets high in California can the nfl fine/suspend him? What if the nfl says ok now its time to reform our rules, & treats weed like alcohol. If a players gets high in Texas & breaks the law, will the nfl fine/suspend him?

3) Randy Moss got fined for not speaking to the media. I'm assuming it is written in a player's contract that they have to speak to the media or else they get fined. Can a player sign a contract that voids them to speak with the media?

I know its long but I always wanted to know the answers to these. Thank you very much.

1) I believe the referee can award a TD whether or not it was obvious the ball carrier was going to score.

2) The NFL's drug policy would remain the same because marijuana would still be against FEDERAL law (Federal law will never legalize marijuana). Even if marijuana was legal in every state and by federal law as well, the NFL would likely still have it on their banned substance list. Therefor, the player would be disciplined anyway.

3) I don't remember Randy Moss getting fined for not talking to the media, but if the team wants you to speak to the media and you refuse, you can be fined. Not sure if a player can negotiate a no-media clause in his contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

[ Edited by 49erRider on May 8, 2011 at 20:50:54 ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
That^

with this addition. Moss did get in trouble for not speaking to the media because it was stated in his contract he had to make X amount of appearances. I'm sure a player could negotiate for none, but usually they WANT tv time.
  • mod
  • Veteran
for ? 1... if I were the ref, that team would immediately be disqualified. either way, I think the ref can go ahead and award the touchdown.
#1. Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)

1. When Referee determines a palpably unfair act deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en route to touchdown.)

Very Bottom
Originally posted by modninerfan:
for ? 1... if I were the ref, that team would immediately be disqualified. either way, I think the ref can go ahead and award the touchdown.

I don't think the NFL allows a forfeit, so they can't be disqualified. The player can, and probably will, be ejected and fined. The coach may also be disciplined by the league.
welcome to the zone
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by global_nomad:
welcome to the zone

What?
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
welcome to the zone

What?

we have the most creative people on here. So creative there are some pretty crazy hypotheticals that top up now and then.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

1) I believe the referee can award a TD whether or not it was obvious the ball carrier was going to score.

2) The NFL's drug policy would remain the same because marijuana would still be against FEDERAL law (Federal law will never legalize marijuana). Even if marijuana was legal in every state and by federal law as well, the NFL would likely still have it on their banned substance list. Therefor, the player would be disciplined anyway.

3) I don't remember Randy Moss getting fined for not talking to the media, but if the team wants you to speak to the media and you refuse, you can be fined. Not sure if a player can negotiate a no-media clause in his contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Thanks, if I could I would rep you & the others that helped answered the question. I still have an issue with number 2. If the Federal law made weed legal, but kept it on its banned substance list, can't a player claim civil rights violations? Meaning can't a player argue that it is his right to smoke weed as much as it is for another player to drink alcohol?

On that same subject, I always saw the fining of players who criticize refs a civil rights violation. Some guy in New York burned the Koran (not during his job) & was fired from his work. The ACLU then stepped in & told his boss it was a civil rights violation & the man got his job back & got paid for the days he missed. So if a player criticizes a ref (on a off day he tells a fan the ref made a horrible call, & the fan posts it up on youtube) the player gets fined. Doesn't his freedom of speech need to be protected?

Again sorry for the long post, I just got to vent a little.
[ Edited by Moolji on May 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM ]

I would think the nfl would remove pot from the banned list if it was federally legal, as it doesn't provide an advantage.

Products that are legal for everyone else but banned by the nfl are banned because they provide a competitive advantage or mask products that provide a competitive advantage. Pot does neither to my knowledge.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Thanks, if I could I would rep you & the others that helped answered the question. I still have an issue with number 2. If the Federal law made weed legal, but kept it on its banned substance list, can't a player claim civil rights violations? Meaning can't a player argue that it is his right to smoke weed as much as it is for another player to drink alcohol?

On that same subject, I always saw the fining of players who criticize refs a civil rights violation. Some guy in New York burned the Koran (not during his job) & was fired from his work. The ACLU then stepped in & told his boss it was a civil rights violation & the man got his job back & got paid for the days he missed. So if a player criticizes a ref (on a off day he tells a fan the ref made a horrible call, & the fan posts it up on youtube) the player gets fined. Doesn't his freedom of speech need to be protected?

Again sorry for the long post, I just got to vent a little.

To the bolded part, steriods and supplements aren't illegal to use in the US, but they are against the rules for athletic competition b/c they may cause a huge health risk to the individual, although many ppl think it's b/c they give a person an unfair advantage (I believe differently but that's b/c I have a scientists background). Also, there are many other non-steroid substances on the banned substance list, though most are used to mask steroid use but some are certain dietary supplements used to lose weight faster.

So the fact that IF marijuana was legal in a few states (or even federally), the NFL could still put it in the banned substances list. As for the Freedom of speech thing, it's written into every NFL employees contract about not criticizing the referees (including coaches, trainers, and other referees), think it's part of the "behavior clause"?
Share 49ersWebzone