LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Mario Williams to OLB???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Interesting, Williams is a beast a DE but we all know that they don't always transfer well to OLB in a 3-4 scheme, I think he can be a beast still at OLB.

Thoughts???
thats the big problem from switching 4-3 to 3-4
At 6'7" 290 lbs, he's better off being a DE in the 3-4, ala Richard Seymour.

I also think he's better being on the Niners.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
thats the big problem from switching 4-3 to 3-4

yea that's the only thing I still can't figure out about them switching to a 3-4. They are putting the teams best pass rusher at a disadvantage. And playing him as a 3-4 DE is still a waste of a guy who is such a good pass rushing DE in a 4-3. I don't think he can play OLB. But we will see.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Stupid move. He fits the 4-3 DE perfectly. I don't think he can play the 3-4 OLB. He's just too big.
  • titan
  • Veteran
he is big enough to play DE and on a 4-3, 3-4 defense.
That guy is a friggin tower.

All muscle too. Being that big, it's hard to gain muscle, just ask Lawson.
If they actually make the switch, they will lose a lot of their surprise in blitzing because he will be rushing the passer 90% of the time.
Originally posted by Joecool:
If they actually make the switch, they will lose a lot of their surprise in blitzing because he will be rushing the passer 90% of the time.

Also they might take advantage of his coverage ability since he will be new to dropping back into coverage
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Also they might take advantage of his coverage ability since he will be new to dropping back into coverage

I really don't see the problem here. They are going from zero surprise element to 10% surprise element. Seems like a gain to me.

Also, Williams can drop back into short zone coverage. Every DE in the NFL does this at times.

It's not like Williams is lacking the athletic ability to make the transition. He tested better than many 3-4 OLBs at the combine in his agility drills... including our own Aldon Smith.

That said, it'll be interesting to see if it works out. I think Williams can play DE or OLB in that scheme, but I'd rather have him in the best position to get to the QB. We'll just have to wait and see... it'll be something fun to follow if/when the season starts.

BTW, did you know that Aldon Smith has longer arms than Mario Williams? Has him beat by an inch and a half. Lulz.

Dropping into coverage is so overrated for being the rush linebacker in a 3-4. If he can rush the quarterback and hold the edge, which he obviously can, then he can play the OLB position.
Wade Phillips has officially lost it.
Originally posted by titan:
he is big enough to play DE and on a 4-3, 3-4 defense.

This. He'll play both this season.
I've seen some stats before that DeMarcus Ware rushed the passer on 89% of passing downs. Wade likes to send both of his outside linebackers but rarely sends more than 5 guys. He's not really into blitzing his corners that much and relies on the front 7 to get to the QB.

Mario Williams isn't going to be asked to play the Manny Lawson role in a 3-4 defense. It's going to be alot more predictable 3-4 defense.
Reminds me of when we tried to put Andre Carter at OLB, but this is FARRR worse
Share 49ersWebzone