LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Seattle Seahawks are tanking it. period

Shop 49ers game tickets
Tanking is risky,but only makes sense when the season is lost.

It's not like teams tanked to get Brees,ARod, Brady,R.Bush,Robert Gallery,Alex Smith,Matt Leinart,Jemarcus Russell,Clausen,Cutler etc0.

Good points though.

[ Edited by TonyStarks on May 7, 2011 at 07:40:41 ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:

3) The RIVALRY: What better way for pete carroll to stick it to a rival coach, than to draft his star pupil

I hope I'm wrong guys and that they win just enough games ( no more than 4...lol) to lose the LUCK sweepstakes

We have Harbaugh, if Harbaugh groomed luck, Im sure he can pick lucks flaws as well.

There will be a learning curve for luck, its not like Peyton Manning and Brady came in winning SB's.

You're kidding right?

Tom Brady won the Super Bowl in his second season after having 3 total pass attempts the year before.

Peyton Manning led the Colts to a 13-3 record, threw for over 4,000 yards and was an All Pro in his second season.

If one season is considered a learning curve, I disagree, but fine. But you are acting as if Luck wont be successful for a few years, when both of your examples were of quarterbacks who couldnt really have been more successful early on.
Every poor sports franchise gets tempted with this idea, but only a few have the guts to give it a shot. We saw many poor teams in the NBA try this approach in the season before LEBRON was to be drafted. As you know, Cleveland won the sweepstakes.

When there is gold in the upcoming draft, some teams decide to "tank" the current season and I believe the SEATTLE SEACHICKENS are tanking this season (IF WE EVER HAVE ONE) with hopes of getting "lucky": drafting ANDREW LUCK.

Here's why I believe this:

1). The 2011 DRAFT: Every analyst (Scouts Inc, ESPN, NFLNETWORK, ETC,) noted that the SEAHAWKS draft selections made NO sense. They drafted James Carpenter when there were still FIVE offensive tackles rated HIGHER than him! In second round, they drafted John Moffit when there were, just like before, FIVE offensive guards ranked higher. The 1st round pick of OT JAMES Carpenter of Alabama was so shocking that even his college coach (NICK SABAN) was disgusted by the pick....just watch the video!

How does a experienced NFL coach like pete carroll put up such a dud on draft day, especially when he was already VERY FAMILIAR with alot of these college players, being only one year removed from coaching college football?!?! Because, he's tanking it!!

2) The Quaterback Issue : The SEACHICKENS had nine draft picks and did not select a single quaterback!! (ANDY DALTON and Ryan MAllett were available) In fact, Pete Carroll said, after the draft, that Charlie "pick-six" whitehurst is definitely "starting material". Why would he say such a thing?! Because, they're tanking this season!

3) The RIVALRY: What better way for pete carroll to stick it to a rival coach, than to draft his star pupil

I hope I'm wrong guys and that they win just enough games ( no more than 4...lol) to lose the LUCK sweepstakes

1) Seeing as how those rookies probably won't be playing much this year anyway, how exactly does making terrible draft decisions mean they're going to tank the season? If they're gonna suck, they'd suck even if they had picked "good" players in this year's draft. If a team is bad, a couple rookies aren't going to come in and turn it around in year 1.

2) You assume Hasselbeck won't be back in Seattle, which is not guaranteed. Maybe they didn't like any of the QBs that were available to them or didn't think they were worth the selections. They could be trying to make a play for a veteran whenever free agency starts as well. You don't know.

3) You're looking way too far into this rivalry.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by ads_2006:

We have Harbaugh, if Harbaugh groomed luck, Im sure he can pick lucks flaws as well.

There will be a learning curve for luck, its not like Peyton Manning and Brady came in winning SB's.

You're kidding right?

Tom Brady won the Super Bowl in his second season after having 3 total pass attempts the year before.

Peyton Manning led the Colts to a 13-3 record, threw for over 4,000 yards and was an All Pro in his second season.

If one season is considered a learning curve, I disagree, but fine. But you are acting as if Luck wont be successful for a few years, when both of your examples were of quarterbacks who couldnt really have been more successful early on.

Not to mention Luck is well-versed in a pro-style offense, so the transition to the NFL will be easier on him than most other QBs.
Share 49ersWebzone