LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Converting players to other positions.

Shop 49ers game tickets
We have seen it done with QB to WR, G to ILB, and CB to FS. I'm surprised we haven't seen it more with OT to NT/DE.

Have teams tried to make this conversion with failed OT's?
Originally posted by Joecool:
We have seen it done with QB to WR, G to ILB, and CB to FS. I'm surprised we haven't seen it more with OT to NT/DE.

It's hard to do b/c of technique, footwork, and a total different set of skills. One problem is a lot of OT's are too tall to play on the defensive line. You rarely see that many guys on the d line that are 6'3 and 6'4 like you will see with OT's. If you are that tall it's too hard to play low and play with leverage. Also most OT's don't have the same explosion off the line that most defenders have. They don't have the same agility. Nor the speed for a quick 1st step. That's why it's so important to measure arm length when considering o lineman. OT's need to use their arms to stop fast ass defenders from getting into their chest where they have the advantage.
Originally posted by lamontb:

It's hard to do b/c of technique, footwork, and a total different set of skills. One problem is a lot of OT's are too tall to play on the defensive line. You rarely see that many guys on the d line that are 6'3 and 6'4 like you will see with OT's. If you are that tall it's too hard to play low and play with leverage. Also most OT's don't have the same explosion off the line that most defenders have. They don't have the same agility. Nor the speed for a quick 1st step. That's why it's so important to measure arm length when considering o lineman. OT's need to use their arms to stop fast ass defenders from getting into their chest where they have the advantage.

These are OT's who excel at the Tackle position but I'm sure there are OT that don't grade well as an OT due to short arms, or 1 or two other attributes needed to be a successful OT, but they are fast or explosive. Not the greatest example but look at how well guys like Staley pull. Even Iupati pulls very well and so does a 6'4 Baas.
The disposition is quite different between most OTs and NTs. DLs have to be aggressive and take a beating, while the OTs need to set up their opponents, are generally intelligent and thoughtful in their play. Also, if a guy doesn't make it at OT he is likely not going to blossom at NT where he needs to stay low and take on a couple of guys each play.
Originally posted by lamontb:

These are OT's who excel at the Tackle position but I'm sure there are OT that don't grade well as an OT due to short arms, or 1 or two other attributes needed to be a successful OT, but they are fast or explosive. Not the greatest example but look at how well guys like Staley pull. Even Iupati pulls very well and so does a 6'4 Baas.

Pulling just requires good footwork. The o line already knows they are pulling before the play happens. They usually will only get low when about to impact a defender. The defender has to have the quickness and agility to react. Just a different set of skills. And why convert a lame OT to a NT when you already have lower tiered NT's that you could coach up? Saves a lot of time instead of taking on a conversion project.
That you, Nolan?
this science of changing players positions is called Nolanification or Nolanization. use correct terms please
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
That you, Nolan?

Thank you English, I had a bad day but that made me laugh.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this science of changing players positions is called Nolanification or Nolanization. use correct terms please

Nolanization also worked well for me when playing Madden - nothing like converting an OT to a possession-type WR w/ 90 speed

don't forget we had a DT to OT conversion.

OK, where did you get your crystal ball? Seems like Baalke and Harbaugh were reading your posts.
i hope we convert Nnamdi Assomougha into a 49er once the lockout is lifted.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

OK, where did you get your crystal ball? Seems like Baalke and Harbaugh were reading your posts.

The NFL draft provides elite talent and that doesn't include the UDFA's. I can't believe that much talent can not be used. If a guy is a LB/CB/OG/DE/RB, and that dude is extremely athletic but sucks at his current position, then I can't see why he can't excel somewhere else on the field.

For example, a 4.5 40-yard dash RB could possibly play CB or Nickleback. There has to be some conversion somewhere where that player can be more successful. The key ingredient is speed and size in order to enter the league. Why can't the position be taught?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

The NFL draft provides elite talent and that doesn't include the UDFA's. I can't believe that much talent can not be used. If a guy is a LB/CB/OG/DE/RB, and that dude is extremely athletic but sucks at his current position, then I can't see why he can't excel somewhere else on the field.

For example, a 4.5 40-yard dash RB could possibly play CB or Nickleback. There has to be some conversion somewhere where that player can be more successful. The key ingredient is speed and size in order to enter the league. Why can't the position be taught?
i would say that is a matter of roster size. they do not have the room to have a useless player.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Any conversion is possible, it's just that in most cases the conversions happen from high school to college. Growth is one factor and the other is that college coaches are better at figuring out a player's strengths. Most of the time, they get it right and there's no point moving them because they are already playing the best position for their skillset.

This is obviously not always the case, but some positions translate better to others. Not only do you need to consider athletic potential, but the mindset of the player is also important. Some players just don't have the aggression for a defensive position.

I can see the point of asking about o-linemen playing in an odd defensive front. It would seem that they have similar roles in that 3-4 linemen are almost like blockers for the linebackers. However, that's more of an oldschool Parcells two gap philosophy. We don't use that scheme.

Anyway, it would be a huge project and the success rate would likely be very low.
Share 49ersWebzone