There are 164 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
I know I mad at this pick Curtis brown was still on the board and we took a projected 6th rounder wow!!!! And now we don't have a 5th rounder so we have to chose wisely with that 4th I'd like another db with Burton or take Sam Acho then in the 6th grab marecic and sherman
Originally posted by ttime:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
We finally have a kick returner at last. Check out the video, you will like it.

s**t..homeboy got moves

LOL. I said the same exact thing before I read your quote!

Oh my God. That kids straight sick. I like the pick alot.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Depth in the secondary, and an immediate special teams contributer.

Worthy of a 3rd round pick?

We dont need depth in the secondary, we need a solid CB who can cover and has some ball skills. Someone like Johnny Patrick or Curtis Brown. Instead we get another guy who is a tweener between FS and CB. He's not great in coverage so he's not a great CB, and he has no ball skills and he's not great against the run so how will he be a good FS. We already have a bunch of young safeties in Reggie Smith, Taylor Mays, Chris Maragos, and Curtis Taylor. That is not even counting Dashon Goldson who will probably be back. This is a dumb pick. Baalke is in love with people's athleticism and height and speed and he's not good at picking actual good football players.

If he develops then yeah good pick, but I sure hope we can coach him up because just because he's a hell of an athlete doesnt make him a great player. Baalke picks these guys every time.

I'm not attacking and I totally understand what you're saying, but I truly believe that you can't solve 100% of a teams needs in one draft. You have to start with the value/fit for what you can get and keep moving. It's not impossible but extremely rare for a team to hit home runs with solving needs with every pick.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I feel like many comment as if this is the last draft ever. The 49ers have to build this thing piece by piece with a competent coaching staff that will develop players. Again, the NEs of the league can only trade/deal and continue to collect picks because they develop the players they have - who aren't always consensus picks.

I'm willing to wait to see what the new coaching staff will do. I think they get at LEAST one year of leeway.

Yeah then that goes to my whole point. Trade back some more, stock some more picks, and then take Culliver later. But I guarantee you he wouldn't have gone for a few more picks. Baalke always picks H/W/S guys, just look at Taylor Mays last year, Anthony Davis, etc. Its the same damn philosophy as Scott McCloughan and it got us nowhere.

Meanwhile teams like the Patriots pick guys that "have flaws" but are solid players and they got really good players. Look at Ras-I Dowling. Injury guy this year but they figured he had more talent and he'll be healthy eventually. Or the guys last year, Brandon Spikes runs a horrific 40 yard dash but they decided 40 isnt that big of deal and get their TED LB of the future. Meanwhile we pick Navorro Bowman who was smaller than Spikes, more athletic and had actually played OLB in 4-3 defense. He struggled for us. The Pats get contributions from a 6th or 7th round pick like Julian Edelman because he knows how to play even though he's not the most physically talented guy. Yeah they have a good QB but even he was a 6th round pick. They are just better at spotting talent, maneuvering around in the draft(always making good trades, rarely if ever trade up), picking guys who can play right away. We pick guys who need developing and then we reach for them too.

Hopefully Culliver can become a player but IMO Baalke is a dumbass.

A 6th round rating and we took him in the 3d! Really?? f**k me Baalke.
Originally posted by susweel:
Is he a safety or corner ?

He's gonna play S I think.

Goldson
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Bad pick if he was slated to go in the 6th round.

Just to make you feel better, I heard Mayoc say that he talked to talent evaluators around the league and they couldn't agree on this cornerback class.
I like Brandon Burton and Davon House and thought they would be gone by now but just the fact that Prince Amukamara dropped all the way to 19 shows that a lot of teams besides us had him rated lower than most of us thought.
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Bad pick if he was slated to go in the 6th round.
tom brady and tony romo were bad picks as well...i know i know, exceptions. but who said that we couldnt have a luck with another exception?
or was that a kind of sarcasm?

[ Edited by communist on Apr 29, 2011 at 20:25:26 ]
Looks good to me! Big, fast, hard hitting DB. f**k it.
I absolutely love this pick also! He has the size, speed, strength and he is a pretty good player. A great pick in the 3rd round IMO. He has a lot of upside. A little raw and he needs develpment. But he has great ability.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I absolutely love this pick also! He has the size, speed, strength and he is a pretty good player. A great pick in the 3rd round IMO. He has a lot of upside. A little raw and he needs develpment. But he has great ability.

lol, who hacked into SanDiegos account?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Depth in the secondary, and an immediate special teams contributer.

Worthy of a 3rd round pick?

We dont need depth in the secondary, we need a solid CB who can cover and has some ball skills. Someone like Johnny Patrick or Curtis Brown. Instead we get another guy who is a tweener between FS and CB. He's not great in coverage so he's not a great CB, and he has no ball skills and he's not great against the run so how will he be a good FS. We already have a bunch of young safeties in Reggie Smith, Taylor Mays, Chris Maragos, and Curtis Taylor. That is not even counting Dashon Goldson who will probably be back. This is a dumb pick. Baalke is in love with people's athleticism and height and speed and he's not good at picking actual good football players.

If he develops then yeah good pick, but I sure hope we can coach him up because just because he's a hell of an athlete doesnt make him a great player. Baalke picks these guys every time.

I'm not attacking and I totally understand what you're saying, but I truly believe that you can't solve 100% of a teams needs in one draft. You have to start with the value/fit for what you can get and keep moving. It's not impossible but extremely rare for a team to hit home runs with solving needs with every pick.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I feel like many comment as if this is the last draft ever. The 49ers have to build this thing piece by piece with a competent coaching staff that will develop players. Again, the NEs of the league can only trade/deal and continue to collect picks because they develop the players they have - who aren't always consensus picks.

I'm willing to wait to see what the new coaching staff will do. I think they get at LEAST one year of leeway.

Yeah then that goes to my whole point. Trade back some more, stock some more picks, and then take Culliver later. But I guarantee you he wouldn't have gone for a few more picks. Baalke always picks H/W/S guys, just look at Taylor Mays last year, Anthony Davis, etc. Its the same damn philosophy as Scott McCloughan and it got us nowhere.

Meanwhile teams like the Patriots pick guys that "have flaws" but are solid players and they got really good players. Look at Ras-I Dowling. Injury guy this year but they figured he had more talent and he'll be healthy eventually. Or the guys last year, Brandon Spikes runs a horrific 40 yard dash but they decided 40 isnt that big of deal and get their TED LB of the future. Meanwhile we pick Navorro Bowman who was smaller than Spikes, more athletic and had actually played OLB in 4-3 defense. He struggled for us. The Pats get contributions from a 6th or 7th round pick like Julian Edelman because he knows how to play even though he's not the most physically talented guy. Yeah they have a good QB but even he was a 6th round pick. They are just better at spotting talent, maneuvering around in the draft(always making good trades, rarely if ever trade up), picking guys who can play right away. We pick guys who need developing and then we reach for them too.

Hopefully Culliver can become a player but IMO Baalke is a dumbass.

A 6th round rating and we took him in the 3d! Really?? f**k me Baalke.

Who had him as a 6th? Mayock? Kiper? Hahahaha.
OTC has him at 90, MadDog at 80.
Chris Culliver, South Carolina
CBSSports.com, Has him at 102
S.I. has him as a 3-4 Rd.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by valrod33:

No I really do like it. #2 and #3... The 1st pick...
Yea cuz rating are always spot on. f**k the 6th round rating. Dude looks HAM!
Harbaugh love Taylor Mays.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Yea cuz rating are always spot on. f**k the 6th round rating. Dude looks HAM!

You know that's right. That youtube of his punt returns are sick. I can't wait to see him back there fielding punts.
Share 49ersWebzone