LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
CULLY IN THE HOUSE: Third cornerback Chris Culliver played nearly every snap as the 49ers employed their nickel defense against the Bills, who typically play three receivers.

Culliver entered the game in pass coverage for 121 snaps through four games, according to Pro Football Focus, and allowed only four catches for 30 yards. Culliver has a 42.4 passer rating against him when targeted. That rating dropped some more when Culliver hauled in an interception of a Ryan Fitzpatrick pass in the third quarter. It was Culliver's second career interception.

-Matt Maiocco

I've been saying it since last year: Culliver has the potential to be our No. 1 corner in the near future. I think this kid is legit.

It's funny, the knock on him coming out of college was that he was a bit raw and would need some time to be ready. He's looked extremely polished from the get go. I seriously can't ever remember him getting beaten over the top. It may have happened, but I don't remember it. He doesn't make the mental mistakes that a lot of young corners do. He's always in good position, and he doesn't panic when the ball is in the air. Just an awesome 3rd-round pick by Harbaalke.

IT happened a few times but he was beat by great passes by Eli and Brees over the top, even thought Cully had coverage.

He didn't finish the play because he thought he had coverage.

Yup, I remember those two instances now that you mention it. Still, he rarely gets beaten. You can leave him out on an island and he can hold his own no problem. Great luxury to have for a 3rd corner. It allows Carlos to cover the slot on 3rd downs.
A guy on the football's future forum who I think is pretty reputable put this up... Targets 16 Completions 5 Yards 38
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Quote:
CULLY IN THE HOUSE: Third cornerback Chris Culliver played nearly every snap as the 49ers employed their nickel defense against the Bills, who typically play three receivers.

Culliver entered the game in pass coverage for 121 snaps through four games, according to Pro Football Focus, and allowed only four catches for 30 yards. Culliver has a 42.4 passer rating against him when targeted. That rating dropped some more when Culliver hauled in an interception of a Ryan Fitzpatrick pass in the third quarter. It was Culliver's second career interception.

-Matt Maiocco

I've been saying it since last year: Culliver has the potential to be our No. 1 corner in the near future. I think this kid is legit.

It's funny, the knock on him coming out of college was that he was a bit raw and would need some time to be ready. He's looked extremely polished from the get go. I seriously can't ever remember him getting beaten over the top. It may have happened, but I don't remember it. He doesn't make the mental mistakes that a lot of young corners do. He's always in good position, and he doesn't panic when the ball is in the air. Just an awesome 3rd-round pick by Harbaalke.

IT happened a few times but he was beat by great passes by Eli and Brees over the top, even thought Cully had coverage.

He didn't finish the play because he thought he had coverage.

Yup, I remember those two instances now that you mention it. Still, he rarely gets beaten. You can leave him out on an island and he can hold his own no problem. Great luxury to have for a 3rd corner. It allows Carlos to cover the slot on 3rd downs.

Colston and Manningham TDs?
Originally posted by YungAce:
Colston and Manningham TDs?

manningham beat brock not culliver

and that colston TD was in great coverage that was brees being brees
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Cully is a beast! i remember 99% of us scratching our heads when he was drafted lol. what a sick draft last year with cully, aldon, kaep, hunter and miller being huge contributers already

Yeah, and I will admit I was one of them (everybody else is gutless), but the kid is panning out good. I see him and Cox as our backups w/Brock being moved to safety or replaced by a draft pick (esp. if Brown leaves).
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Yeah, and I will admit I was one of them (everybody else is gutless), but the kid is panning out good. I see him and Cox as our backups w/Brock being moved to safety or replaced by a draft pick (esp. if Brown leaves).

Cully as backup? I could see us moving Cully to #1 with Rogers sliding down as to #3 and exclusively covering slot receivers for the last few years of his career. There is no denying that Rogers is excellent at covering both outside and inside but Cully has routinely matched up against top WRs and done exceptionally well(even if it is partly our scheme helping him out with deep safeties on some plays). Cully could very well end up being our #1 corner by next fall, especially because IMHO Brown's best asset is tracking with deep threats while Cully so far has shown he can do everything.

I've been thinking about it since last season ended and I think if buy a new jersey this year that I am going to get a Culliver jersey, Aldon is a close 2nd Cully has been killing it.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Cully is a beast! i remember 99% of us scratching our heads when he was drafted lol. what a sick draft last year with cully, aldon, kaep, hunter and miller being huge contributers already

Ditto. I remember making fun of the pick because Aldon Smith had as many interceptions and Cully did in college.
Eric Davis states on NFLN :

"Culliver will be a Pro Bowler one day."

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Guy is a stud, didn't hesitate to show what he is about.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch
Random stat: Per @PFF, QBs have a 14.6 rating (5 of 16, 38 yards, INT) when targeting #49ers CB Chris Culliver this season.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Guy is a stud, didn't hesitate to show what he is about.

Originally posted by Whomeam:
Random stat: Per @PFF, QBs have a 14.6 rating (5 of 16, 38 yards, INT) when targeting #49ers CB Chris Culliver this season.

Culliver is one of my favourite players on the D. What a steal of a corner.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

should be 5-17 on that BS interference call against the Lions.

Wow. He is gonna get paid with silly numbers like those, doe
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Wow. He is gonna get paid with silly numbers like those, doe

we can only hope that those numbers extrapolate out in a large scale when he becomes a starter.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Great pick by our front office! Hope he continues to improve and will be a starter for us very soon!
Share 49ersWebzone