LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Culliver sucks as a third rounder. I've followed this kid since he was playing high school ball in North Carolina, and he's never lived up to the hype. He certainly has track speed, but he's never done anything with it. On top of that, he has a questionable attitude for sure.

Big reach for a very average player with below average character.

You must not have been following him very closely:

Quote:
Culliver is the Gamecocks' all-time leader in kickoff returns (94) and kickoff return yards (2,215)... the 2,215 yards ranks fifth all-time in the SEC.

To be 5th all-time in the SEC in ANY category is pretty impressive, especially if you consider the athletes/playmakers that the conference produces year after year. He was a WR/KR his freshman year, a safety his soph/junior years and a CB his senior year. That's a lot of moving around he's doing, which makes for some inconsistency in his production (I would think). Still, he crushed it in terms of the one thing he did consistently...kick off returns.

If by "crushing it" you mean "never scored on a return of any kind", then I agree. He piled up a bunch of yardage on returns because that's all he consistently did for four years. He never did it spectacularly; he was just their best option while he was there. SCAR's return teams have sucked for a while now. He's all speed and ZERO instinct, which is why he never housed a single return in 94 tries. Seriously, that's pathetic.

I've watched the dude since he was in high school. He's a garbage pick in the third round. Sixth round, OK. Third round is a joke.

You make some good points. The only counter is, obviously a bunch of people who do this for a living have a difference of opinion than you do on this kid. I'd love to believe you over them, but I'm not going to.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Ugh we should've traded back some more. We could've got this guy in the 4th. Baalke is a dumbass.

Baalke isn't running the draft by himself. Remember all defensive coaches are in that war room and have had input. So it's not just Baalke you're calling a dumbass, it's also Vic Fangio and Ed Donnatel. There's no way you can separate the two unless you're sure the entire defensive staff wanted someone else and Baalke insisted on this one person, it's not all on him.

Excellent point.....plus, with the lockout, all of these coaches have been watching a ton of film on all of these prospects. They must have been pretty comfortable taking this guy.

Sounds like a better FS prospect (third round probably fits with his size and speed). We all know, however, that it takes some real knowledge of the game to play safety.
Originally posted by 49erWill:

Jeebus! He's huge for 199 lbs.
I love this pick. Slightly over 6 feet. Around 200 lbs. 4.37 40. Those are fantastic measurables. He's a great athlete and a good player with upside. He is a little raw but with the right coaching we could have something here. Forget the haters. I believe this guy will be good. I have no problem with him where we got him.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Travisty13.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I love this pick. Slightly over 6 feet. Around 200 lbs. 4.37 40. Those are fantastic measurables. He's a great athlete and a good player with upside. He is a little raw but with the right coaching we could have something here. Forget the haters. I believe this guy will be good. I have no problem with him where we got him.

Hell yeah. It's Greg Jackson and Vic Fangio's just to get his guy polished off. He has the physical ability to be a nice player. They just have to do their jobs and coach this kid up.

What is up with you today!
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by 49erWill:

Jeebus! He's huge for 199 lbs.

He's built like a brick s**t house. No homo.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Apr 29, 2011 at 23:15:13 ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
I remember Culliver holding a lot!
Originally posted by teeohh:

What is up with you today!

I like the pick and think he has huge upside and tons of athletic ability.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by genus49:
I think that's a bit high I would've preferred any of Davon House, Curtis Brown, Johnny Patrick or Chimdi Chekwa over Culliver.

Hopefully this is one of those guys that surprises.

At least it's a position of need.

agreed. just better talent on the board.

I agree. It's a bad pick IMO. We got a 3rd round kick returner.

genus49: Those corners you listed were the exact ones on my radar.

Davon House: Career 11 ints, 36 passes defended
(WAC)
(fair number of good corners have come from small schools - tramon williams (on my sleeper list years ago), rodgers cromartie, grimes, eric wright, kyle wilson)

Johnny Patrick: Career 9 ints, 22 passes defended
(Big East)

Chimdi Chekwa: Career 6 ints, 29 passes defended
(Big-10)

Curtis Brown: Career 2 ints, 32 passes defended
(Big-12)

I would even have taken Richard Sherman (although projected much lower)
Richard Sherman: Career 4 ints, 9 passes defended
(Pac-10)
(1 yr after conversion from WR)

I wish I had more detailed statistics on CB's, but # career pass breakups is a very good indicator... just look at Darrelle Revis, Tramon Williams, Leon Hall, Brandon Flowers, Aqib Tali, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.. they all had good college numbers on pass break-ups..

Oh wells.... we got a kick returner and an unproven CB project.

sammy davis 2.0
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:
sammy davis 2.0

so your saying he's going to be Sammy Davis Jr?
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Culliver sucks as a third rounder. I've followed this kid since he was playing high school ball in North Carolina, and he's never lived up to the hype. He certainly has track speed, but he's never done anything with it. On top of that, he has a questionable attitude for sure.

Well then you must be right, and the people at cbssports, S.I., our scouting dept., the people that picked him as an All-SEC, the people who thought enough to include him as a Preseason All-American must all be wrong. Thanks for clarifiying that.

Just got off the phone with my best friend, who's a huge South Carolina fan, and even he was laughing at this pick.

Well, then. Let's fire Baalke. You and your best friend can take over. Cause the 49ers apparently don't know what they're doing.

I dont mean to be a cynical dick, but when in the last 8 years have the 49ers shown that they have any idea of what they're doing?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Well then you must be right, and the people at cbssports, S.I., our scouting dept., the people that picked him as an All-SEC, the people who thought enough to include him as a Preseason All-American must all be wrong. Thanks for clarifiying that.

Just got off the phone with my best friend, who's a huge South Carolina fan, and even he was laughing at this pick.

Well, then. Let's fire Baalke. You and your best friend can take over. Cause the 49ers apparently don't know what they're doing.

I dont mean to be a cynical dick, but when in the last 8 years have the 49ers shown that they have any idea of what they're doing?

Well considering Baalke is a new GM, Harbaugh is a New HC, and Jed York seems like he's not like his dad and actually wants to win, then why don't we cut them some slate? It's new personnel. Why be so negative to guys who are trying to get us back to being winners?

You must not have been following him very closely:

Quote:
Culliver is the Gamecocks' all-time leader in kickoff returns (94) and kickoff return yards (2,215)... the 2,215 yards ranks fifth all-time in the SEC.

To be 5th all-time in the SEC in ANY category is pretty impressive, especially if you consider the athletes/playmakers that the conference produces year after year. He was a WR/KR his freshman year, a safety his soph/junior years and a CB his senior year. That's a lot of moving around he's doing, which makes for some inconsistency in his production (I would think). Still, he crushed it in terms of the one thing he did consistently...kick off returns.

If by "crushing it" you mean "never scored on a return of any kind", then I agree. He piled up a bunch of yardage on returns because that's all he consistently did for four years. He never did it spectacularly; he was just their best option while he was there. SCAR's return teams have sucked for a while now. He's all speed and ZERO instinct, which is why he never housed a single return in 94 tries. Seriously, that's pathetic.

I've watched the dude since he was in high school. He's a garbage pick in the third round. Sixth round, OK. Third round is a joke.

You make some good points. The only counter is, obviously a bunch of people who do this for a living have a difference of opinion than you do on this kid. I'd love to believe you over them, but I'm not going to.

And a bunch of people who do this for a living thought Cody Wallace was worth a 4th round pick, that Alex Smith was better than Aaron Rodgers, that Taylor Mays would make a great safety, that Kentwan Balmer was going to be a staple on our line for the next 5-10 years(part of that FO is still here btw...), Chilo was going to be a beastly mauling guard, decided to ignore someone like Jerry Rice and picked Chilo over DeSean Jackson, etc. Just because we have been paying these guys doesnt mean they've gotten us great results or even know what they're doing compared to their peers.
Share 49ersWebzone