LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Culliver sucks as a third rounder. I've followed this kid since he was playing high school ball in North Carolina, and he's never lived up to the hype. He certainly has track speed, but he's never done anything with it. On top of that, he has a questionable attitude for sure.

Big reach for a very average player with below average character.

Well then you must be right, and the people at cbssports, S.I., our scouting dept., the people that picked him as an All-SEC, the people who thought enough to include him as a Preseason All-American must all be wrong. Thanks for clarifiying that.

Just got off the phone with my best friend, who's a huge South Carolina fan, and even he was laughing at this pick.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Culliver sucks as a third rounder. I've followed this kid since he was playing high school ball in North Carolina, and he's never lived up to the hype. He certainly has track speed, but he's never done anything with it. On top of that, he has a questionable attitude for sure.

Well then you must be right, and the people at cbssports, S.I., our scouting dept., the people that picked him as an All-SEC, the people who thought enough to include him as a Preseason All-American must all be wrong. Thanks for clarifiying that.

Just got off the phone with my best friend, who's a huge South Carolina fan, and even he was laughing at this pick.

Well, then. Let's fire Baalke. You and your best friend can take over. Cause the 49ers apparently don't know what they're doing.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Depth in the secondary, and an immediate special teams contributer.

Worthy of a 3rd round pick?

We dont need depth in the secondary, we need a solid CB who can cover and has some ball skills. Someone like Johnny Patrick or Curtis Brown. Instead we get another guy who is a tweener between FS and CB. He's not great in coverage so he's not a great CB, and he has no ball skills and he's not great against the run so how will he be a good FS. We already have a bunch of young safeties in Reggie Smith, Taylor Mays, Chris Maragos, and Curtis Taylor. That is not even counting Dashon Goldson who will probably be back. This is a dumb pick. Baalke is in love with people's athleticism and height and speed and he's not good at picking actual good football players.

If he develops then yeah good pick, but I sure hope we can coach him up because just because he's a hell of an athlete doesnt make him a great player. Baalke picks these guys every time.

I'm not attacking and I totally understand what you're saying, but I truly believe that you can't solve 100% of a teams needs in one draft. You have to start with the value/fit for what you can get and keep moving. It's not impossible but extremely rare for a team to hit home runs with solving needs with every pick.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I feel like many comment as if this is the last draft ever. The 49ers have to build this thing piece by piece with a competent coaching staff that will develop players. Again, the NEs of the league can only trade/deal and continue to collect picks because they develop the players they have - who aren't always consensus picks.

I'm willing to wait to see what the new coaching staff will do. I think they get at LEAST one year of leeway.

Yeah then that goes to my whole point. Trade back some more, stock some more picks, and then take Culliver later. But I guarantee you he wouldn't have gone for a few more picks. Baalke always picks H/W/S guys, just look at Taylor Mays last year, Anthony Davis, etc. Its the same damn philosophy as Scott McCloughan and it got us nowhere.

Meanwhile teams like the Patriots pick guys that "have flaws" but are solid players and they got really good players. Look at Ras-I Dowling. Injury guy this year but they figured he had more talent and he'll be healthy eventually. Or the guys last year, Brandon Spikes runs a horrific 40 yard dash but they decided 40 isnt that big of deal and get their TED LB of the future. Meanwhile we pick Navorro Bowman who was smaller than Spikes, more athletic and had actually played OLB in 4-3 defense. He struggled for us. The Pats get contributions from a 6th or 7th round pick like Julian Edelman because he knows how to play even though he's not the most physically talented guy. Yeah they have a good QB but even he was a 6th round pick. They are just better at spotting talent, maneuvering around in the draft(always making good trades, rarely if ever trade up), picking guys who can play right away. We pick guys who need developing and then we reach for them too.

Hopefully Culliver can become a player but IMO Baalke is a dumbass.

A 6th round rating and we took him in the 3d! Really?? f**k me Baalke.

SI had him a 3rd and 4th rounder. depends on who u ask.

You must not have been following him very closely:

Quote:
Culliver is the Gamecocks' all-time leader in kickoff returns (94) and kickoff return yards (2,215)... the 2,215 yards ranks fifth all-time in the SEC.

To be 5th all-time in the SEC in ANY category is pretty impressive, especially if you consider the athletes/playmakers that the conference produces year after year. He was a WR/KR his freshman year, a safety his soph/junior years and a CB his senior year. That's a lot of moving around he's doing, which makes for some inconsistency in his production (I would think). Still, he crushed it in terms of the one thing he did consistently...kick off returns.
I'm done commenting on draft picks. I don't like having to be negative and the former administration, which Baalke was a part of, has left me feeling we're snakebitten on projects players.
Quote:
Culliver has the pure cover skills to eventually develop into a starter but does not display natural instincts and is not willing or productive in run support. Is versatile enough to play corner or free safety. Has the athleticism and speed to shadow in man coverage and the hip fluidity to turn and run but lack of route anticipation allows receivers to gain separation. Has the range to play the deep half or middle in zone but can be sucked in by play-action. Really needs to improve his ability to diagnose run and be productive coming up in support. Culliver's a mid-round talent with higher upside.

Draft Profile: CB/S Chris Culliver - NFL.com
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Quote:
Culliver is the Gamecocks' all-time leader in kickoff returns (94) and kickoff return yards (2,215)... the 2,215 yards ranks fifth all-time in the SEC.

To be 5th all-time in the SEC in ANY category is pretty impressive, especially if you consider the athletes/playmakers that the conference produces year after year. He was a WR/KR his freshman year, a safety his soph/junior years and a CB his senior year. That's a lot of moving around he's doing, which makes for some inconsistency in his production (I would think). Still, he crushed it in terms of the one thing he did consistently...kick off returns.

GOFD, you don't understand. Him and his best friend laughed at the pick. So it had to be wrong. Right? RIGHT?
Culliver has the pure cover skills to eventually develop into a starter but does not display natural instincts and is not willing or productive in run support. Is versatile enough to play corner or free safety. Has the athleticism and speed to shadow in man coverage and the hip fluidity to turn and run but lack of route anticipation allows receivers to gain separation. Has the range to play the deep half or middle in zone but can be sucked in by play-action. Really needs to improve his ability to diagnose run and be productive coming up in support. Culliver's a mid-round talent with higher upside.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/chris-culliver?id=2495142

In todays passing league with 3 and 4 WR sets, being good in run support is highly overrated. Just give me someone who can stick with his reciever and I'll let PWilly and the terrible six worry about run support.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 29, 2011 at 21:57:55 ]

Quote:

If by "crushing it" you mean "never scored on a return of any kind", then I agree. He piled up a bunch of yardage on returns because that's all he consistently did for four years. He never did it spectacularly; he was just their best option while he was there. SCAR's return teams have sucked for a while now. He's all speed and ZERO instinct, which is why he never housed a single return in 94 tries. Seriously, that's pathetic.

I've watched the dude since he was in high school. He's a garbage pick in the third round. Sixth round, OK. Third round is a joke.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Eric_Branch: Culliver ranks third in SEC history in kickoff returns (106) and kickoff return yards (2,476), average of 23.3 yards per return.

Not sure we want to use our 3rd on a kick returner, especially since they are moving kick-offs up 5 yards. Can the guy play cornerback? Big and fast but seems to be a lot of doubt. I hope so.

Culliver has speed and ZERO instinct. He's a terrible reach in the third round. His kickoff numbers are inflated considering he's one of the few people to ever return all four years, but SCAR's return game sucks and lacks any other decent options except for a little midget named Sherman.

Culliver never scored a TD on any returns in four years. Think about that.

He's also a nondescript defensive back with a questionable attitude.
Culliver has speed and ZERO instinct. He's a terrible reach in the third round. His kickoff numbers are inflated considering he's one of the few people to ever return all four years, but SCAR's return game sucks and lacks any other decent options except for a little midget named Sherman.

If he flames out, we promise to give you full credit.

If he flames out, we promise to give you full credit.

He's also a nondescript defensive back with a questionable attitude

great post from the webzone niner scout. Who needs our scouts

[ Edited by whatawegot on Apr 29, 2011 at 22:24:06 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Quote:

If by "crushing it" you mean "never scored on a return of any kind", then I agree. He piled up a bunch of yardage on returns because that's all he consistently did for four years. He never did it spectacularly; he was just their best option while he was there. SCAR's return teams have sucked for a while now. He's all speed and ZERO instinct, which is why he never housed a single return in 94 tries. Seriously, that's pathetic.

I've watched the dude since he was in high school. He's a garbage pick in the third round. Sixth round, OK. Third round is a joke.

Let's wait and watch how Harbaugh plans on using him. He must have seen something in him, which you may not have. Let's remember, Harbaugh recruited a bunch of a players who weren't the highest priority of many elite programs and took that team to Pac-10 championship.
Share 49ersWebzone