There are 225 users in the forums

What Western City would be a good fit for an NFL team?

Shop 49ers game tickets

What Western City would be a good fit for an NFL team?

Originally posted by zillabeast:
Well, if you're gonna put one in Toronto........

Don't tell me it's too close to Seattle. Not the way all those teams out East are so close.

Vancouver is beautiful. I love the city. But they have a serious traffic problem. No freeways. How do you get 80,000 fans in and out? Pretty tough in that city IMO.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM ]
Orange county is a good location for a nfl team. Vegas has the money, but there aren't enough people there imo....needs more surrounding area.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I would say none. The west coast is not as sport obsessed as the rest of the country, and economically none on that list could support a team except Vegas, which has the same problem as LA: no one is actually from there and generally already have a team they root for.
If anything the south is the place to go, just look at census trends, that's where all the people are going. But all the major cities in the south already have a team except one: San Antonio. For some reason the Spurs are considered small market but SA is the 7th biggest city in the US and it will only continue to grow. Football is king in Texas, to me it's a no brainer.

What about El Paso or West Texas?

As much as I would love that, our economy just won't be able to support it.
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I would say none. The west coast is not as sport obsessed as the rest of the country, and economically none on that list could support a team except Vegas, which has the same problem as LA: no one is actually from there and generally already have a team they root for.
If anything the south is the place to go, just look at census trends, that's where all the people are going. But all the major cities in the south already have a team except one: San Antonio. For some reason the Spurs are considered small market but SA is the 7th biggest city in the US and it will only continue to grow. Football is king in Texas, to me it's a no brainer.

What about El Paso or West Texas?

As much as I would love that, our economy just won't be able to support it.

El Paso is not that big and not that rich.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Vancouver is large enough to support a team but I think the Seahawks already control that market.

Those crazy canucks are crazy for contact sports. Basketball failed, but that's because its a little gay. They would be a rabid football town.

You tap the market, split the fanbase. Could you imagine the magnitude of that rivalry? It would be everything Cowboys-Texans turned out NOT to be.

They got some transit issues to work out, but after the showing they put on for the Winter Olympics, this city would be ready if the card dropped.

On that same token, so would Salt Lake City....but it's sort of a yuppie town. More of the basketball crowd. I think the Vancouverans would appreciate it more.

Albuquerque, of course!

And just say No to El Paso
LMAO @ the idea that gambling would stop the NFL from putting a team in LV. They're in the business of tapping fresh revenue streams, people bet on American Idol for crying out loud!
http://www.staynl.com/travelpictures/london/2012.html

Well, Wembley is in West London!
Tucson would not be a good city at all. Arizona barely supports the Cards.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I've always thought Vegas could have a pro sports team. But I think the NFL doesn't want it because there would be betting on it. They at least want that done in a non NFL city for whatever image purposes. But you figure the fastest growing city. It's much bigger than it was 10 years ago. They have always supported sports teams. UNLV and the Wranglers come to mind. Boxing, MMA and other events. You can fill a stadium in Vegas IMO. If you built it close to the strip a lot of traveling fans would go too. They have all the hotel capacity in the world. It just makes sense. I can't believe they don't have one.

A rendering of the proposed Las Vegas National Sports Center three-stadium complex in downtown Las Vegas

2/8/2011: A downtown sports complex proposal with three stadium venues has surfaced with a familiar name leading the effort.

The $1.57 billion Las Vegas National Sports Center plan includes a proposal for a 17,500-seat arena for basketball and hockey, a 9,000-seat partially enclosed baseball stadium and a 50,000-seat partially enclosed football stadium. The baseball and football stadiums could be expanded to 36,000 and 75,000 seats, respectively, to host Major League Baseball and the National Football League.

The proposal, developed by International Development Management LLC, the Romani Group and general contractor Turner Construction, would be located in downtown Las Vegas on 70 acres northeast of the World Market Center near the Spaghetti Bowl freeway interchange of Interstate 15 and U.S. 95.

International Development Management (IDM) is the same company that had proposed building the Silver State Arena on the former site of the Wet ‘n Wild water park near the Sahara hotel and told members of the Clark County Commission last July that a National Basketball Association team was “under contract” to play in the arena if it were built. (Maloofs???)

The investment group said it would seek lease agreements with UNLV to allow the school’s football, basketball and baseball teams to play in the facilities for $1 a year to provide a new downtown home for Rebel sports. The baseball stadium would have 30 suites and a 750-seat club area. The expansion to 36,000 seats would add 60 more suites.

The football stadium would have 25 suites and two lower-bowl club areas holding 3,500 seats. With an expansion to 75,000 seats, there would be an additional 300 suites. Both the baseball and football stadiums would be partially enclosed with tensile roof structures.

Ok but why so small? 75,000 seats makes more sense right from the get go. 50,000 is a joke at the NFL level now a days. And why partially enclosed? Vegas is freakin hot. Total enclosure with air conditioning makes more sense IMO.

A 9,000 seat baseball stadium?......are you going to do with that?...

17,500 seats for basketball and hockey... OK. I think Thomas and Mack currently holds closer to 20,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_%26_Mack_Center

18,776 for basketball. LOL... Ok so more modern and and makes sense.

~ Football stadium too small...

~ Baseball stadium 9,000 seats......

~ New basketball and hockety stadium...

I only see 1 out of 3 that makes sense here... And what's with the uncovered stuff in Las Vegas? Don't they know how hot the summer is and how cold the winter is in the desert. Covered makes the most sense IMO.

Those are all good points SD, but you got to look at it from a developers perspective coming out of a recession. We all know that the first of the major sports leagues to go into Vegas will be taking a big leap of faith.

That being said "smaller" venues that have the ability to expand is probably the way to play it safe right now, and at the same time trying to attract a team. If you build it they will come??????

We will have to see about that, But I agree with you on the partially included. Doesn't Vegas occasionally get some weird weather in the winter? Like massive hail and occasionally snow?

Originally posted by monsterzero789:

This thread is going on the assumption that the niners are moving to Santa Clara.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Albuquerque, of course!

And just say No to El Paso

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Just take care of the major cities:

San Francisco (Santa Clara)? Check
San Diego? Check
Seattle? Check
Los Angeles? Nope.

Here are some ideas, which are pretty common sense i think.

Move either the Jags or Raiders to LA. If they dont wanna do that. Move the Chargers closer to LA and rename them the So.Cal Chargers or something.
Vegas, but the NFL would be afraid -- I'd have to imagine -- of the ramifications of having a team in "Sin City."

It's not just the image.. it's the assumed disposition that would come with being in that area. You have to worry more about your players doing something stupid out there. At least that would be the thinking, I'd guess.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone