LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

What Western City would be a good fit for an NFL team?

Shop 49ers game tickets

What Western City would be a good fit for an NFL team?

I'm thinking in the next 3-5 years their could be a possibilty that a team moves to LA, Niners move to Santa Clara, SD moves to Orange County/South LA, and Bills move to Toronto.

As I mentioned in the NFL realignment thread, if a team moves to LA, the Chargers and Niners stay on the West Coast, then if 1 other team moves out West of the plain states it would be enough for 2 divisions of 4.

If the Great Recession continues for another 4-8 years I think the NFL will consider realigning teams so that divisions would have to spend less cost on logistical travels.

Besides LA, what city would be good for any NFL team. I tried to list cities top to bottom based also on population.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Apr 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM ]
I think Boise would be a good one. Idaho doesnt have any pro sports I believe, and the Boise st. crowd is pretty good. I know it's kind of different, but I think it'd be a good market for a team. Sac could've had the raiders back in the 90s btw, but couldnt quite get a stadium built.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I think Boise would be a good one. Idaho doesnt have any pro sports I believe, and the Boise st. crowd is pretty good. I know it's kind of different, but I think it'd be a good market for a team. Sac could've had the raiders back in the 90s btw, but couldnt quite get a stadium built.

Maybe sac will try to fill a void left by the Kings...or forever hold your peace with the River Cats.
I've always thought Vegas could have a pro sports team. But I think the NFL doesn't want it because there would be betting on it. They at least want that done in a non NFL city for whatever image purposes. But you figure the fastest growing city. It's much bigger than it was 10 years ago. They have always supported sports teams. UNLV and the Wranglers come to mind. Boxing, MMA and other events. You can fill a stadium in Vegas IMO. If you built it close to the strip a lot of traveling fans would go too. They have all the hotel capacity in the world. It just makes sense. I can't believe they don't have one.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I've always thought Vegas could have a pro sports team. But I think the NFL doesn't want it because there would be betting on it. They at least want that done in a non NFL city for whatever image purposes. But you figure the fastest growing city. It's much bigger than it was 10 years ago. They have always supported sports teams. UNLV and the Wranglers come to mind. Boxing, MMA and other events. You can fill a stadium in Vegas IMO. If you built it close to the strip a lot of traveling fans would go too. They have all the hotel capacity in the world. It just makes sense. I can't believe they don't have one.

I'm sure the NFL knows they can fill stadium every Sunday in Vegas, but is it worth the risk? I think that's the question here. If players and coaches get involved in betting, NFL could lose big time. I live in Nevada, so I'd love to have a team in this state, but IMO I don't think it's worth the risk.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:19 AM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I would say none. The west coast is not as sport obsessed as the rest of the country, and economically none on that list could support a team except Vegas, which has the same problem as LA: no one is actually from there and generally already have a team they root for.
If anything the south is the place to go, just look at census trends, that's where all the people are going. But all the major cities in the south already have a team except one: San Antonio. For some reason the Spurs are considered small market but SA is the 7th biggest city in the US and it will only continue to grow. Football is king in Texas, to me it's a no brainer.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I would say none. The west coast is not as sport obsessed as the rest of the country, and economically none on that list could support a team except Vegas, which has the same problem as LA: no one is actually from there and generally already have a team they root for.
If anything the south is the place to go, just look at census trends, that's where all the people are going. But all the major cities in the south already have a team except one: San Antonio. For some reason the Spurs are considered small market but SA is the 7th biggest city in the US and it will only continue to grow. Football is king in Texas, to me it's a no brainer.

What about El Paso or West Texas?
Las Vegas will never happen. The NFL Executives are afraid of their shadows when it comes to gambling.

Unless it is an existing team moving, I don't support any new teams. There's not enough talent to go around with 32 teams.

A rendering of the proposed Las Vegas National Sports Center three-stadium complex in downtown Las Vegas

2/8/2011: A downtown sports complex proposal with three stadium venues has surfaced with a familiar name leading the effort.

The $1.57 billion Las Vegas National Sports Center plan includes a proposal for a 17,500-seat arena for basketball and hockey, a 9,000-seat partially enclosed baseball stadium and a 50,000-seat partially enclosed football stadium. The baseball and football stadiums could be expanded to 36,000 and 75,000 seats, respectively, to host Major League Baseball and the National Football League.

The proposal, developed by International Development Management LLC, the Romani Group and general contractor Turner Construction, would be located in downtown Las Vegas on 70 acres northeast of the World Market Center near the Spaghetti Bowl freeway interchange of Interstate 15 and U.S. 95.

International Development Management (IDM) is the same company that had proposed building the Silver State Arena on the former site of the Wet ‘n Wild water park near the Sahara hotel and told members of the Clark County Commission last July that a National Basketball Association team was “under contract” to play in the arena if it were built. (Maloofs???)

The investment group said it would seek lease agreements with UNLV to allow the school’s football, basketball and baseball teams to play in the facilities for $1 a year to provide a new downtown home for Rebel sports. The baseball stadium would have 30 suites and a 750-seat club area. The expansion to 36,000 seats would add 60 more suites.

The football stadium would have 25 suites and two lower-bowl club areas holding 3,500 seats. With an expansion to 75,000 seats, there would be an additional 300 suites. Both the baseball and football stadiums would be partially enclosed with tensile roof structures.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Apr 8, 2011 at 7:28 AM ]

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Las Vegas will never happen. The NFL Executives are afraid of their shadows when it comes to gambling.

Unless it is an existing team moving, I don't support any new teams. There's not enough talent to go around with 32 teams.

I think the Jags should move to LA and the Vikes to Vegas.
Well, if you're gonna put one in Toronto........

Don't tell me it's too close to Seattle. Not the way all those teams out East are so close.
I voted "Other"; the only city which actually makes sense,
will probably never be home to any of the USA' big 4 (sport-wise).
There is a reason, as most people are aware, why there are no professional
sport franchises in Las Vegas.

Maybe it will take MLB, the NBA, or the NHL, to locate a team there.
I can then see the other leagues and the NFL following suit. As it now stands,
the mindset of those controlling the leagues, probably view Las Vegas as more
trouble than worth.
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:

A rendering of the proposed Las Vegas National Sports Center three-stadium complex in downtown Las Vegas

2/8/2011: A downtown sports complex proposal with three stadium venues has surfaced with a familiar name leading the effort.

The $1.57 billion Las Vegas National Sports Center plan includes a proposal for a 17,500-seat arena for basketball and hockey, a 9,000-seat partially enclosed baseball stadium and a 50,000-seat partially enclosed football stadium. The baseball and football stadiums could be expanded to 36,000 and 75,000 seats, respectively, to host Major League Baseball and the National Football League.

The proposal, developed by International Development Management LLC, the Romani Group and general contractor Turner Construction, would be located in downtown Las Vegas on 70 acres northeast of the World Market Center near the Spaghetti Bowl freeway interchange of Interstate 15 and U.S. 95.

International Development Management (IDM) is the same company that had proposed building the Silver State Arena on the former site of the Wet ‘n Wild water park near the Sahara hotel and told members of the Clark County Commission last July that a National Basketball Association team was “under contract” to play in the arena if it were built. (Maloofs???)

The investment group said it would seek lease agreements with UNLV to allow the school’s football, basketball and baseball teams to play in the facilities for $1 a year to provide a new downtown home for Rebel sports. The baseball stadium would have 30 suites and a 750-seat club area. The expansion to 36,000 seats would add 60 more suites.

The football stadium would have 25 suites and two lower-bowl club areas holding 3,500 seats. With an expansion to 75,000 seats, there would be an additional 300 suites. Both the baseball and football stadiums would be partially enclosed with tensile roof structures.

Ok but why so small? 75,000 seats makes more sense right from the get go. 50,000 is a joke at the NFL level now a days. And why partially enclosed? Vegas is freakin hot. Total enclosure with air conditioning makes more sense IMO.

A 9,000 seat baseball stadium?......are you going to do with that?...

17,500 seats for basketball and hockey... OK. I think Thomas and Mack currently holds closer to 20,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_%26_Mack_Center

18,776 for basketball. LOL... Ok so more modern and and makes sense.

~ Football stadium too small...

~ Baseball stadium 9,000 seats......

~ New basketball and hockety stadium...

I only see 1 out of 3 that makes sense here... And what's with the uncovered stuff in Las Vegas? Don't they know how hot the summer is and how cold the winter is in the desert. Covered makes the most sense IMO.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Vancouver is large enough to support a team but I think the Seahawks already control that market.
Share 49ersWebzone