LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

How Much Do Referees Make a Game/Season?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Does anyone know about how much they make? I have been wondering for years now. Thanks.
The NFL referee salary (National Football League) ranges from USD 25,000 to USD 70,000 per season i.e. a season with 16 games with one-week intervals. The NFL official’s average annual income of USD 27, 000 is lowest when compared to the NBA officials earn about USD 128,000 per annum, the NHL officials earn USD139, 000 per annum and the major-league baseball officials earn about USD 141, 000 per annum. On the other hand, NFL officials are not full-time employees and work lesser as against the other sports.
not enough which is why they can be bought.
Originally posted by valrod33:
The NFL referee salary (National Football League) ranges from USD 25,000 to USD 70,000 per season i.e. a season with 16 games with one-week intervals. The NFL official’s average annual income of USD 27, 000 is lowest when compared to the NBA officials earn about USD 128,000 per annum, the NHL officials earn USD139, 000 per annum and the major-league baseball officials earn about USD 141, 000 per annum. On the other hand, NFL officials are not full-time employees and work lesser as against the other sports.

Thanks for info... yeah they don't get paid enough imo
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtb49ers:

Thanks for info... yeah they don't get paid enough imo

They only work 17 times a year... a few of them maybe 19 or 20 days lol... they get paid plenty.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I agree.

Some mob guys throw a couple hundred grand at one of these guys to influence a couple of games these dudes are gonna be very tempted.
Their should be full time, professional refs, in the NFL, it would benefit the overall game.

they get paid more than enough. The ones who are bought are bought because of character defects they have that would remain regardless how much more you pay them.
Originally posted by danimal:

they get paid more than enough. The ones who are bought are bought because of character defects they have that would remain regardless how much more you pay them.

They have salary requirements. If they don't make over a certain amount, they can't be NFL refs. That's so they can't be bought. Hochuli is a fancy pants lawyer.

By far.

All refs are overpaid. NFL refs work one day a week for less than half a year and make a minimum of 27k? Ridiculous. I'm not saying it's ridiculous because of the minimal time they have to put in, but it's ridiculous because most of them suck so bad they should be working for free.

And if anyone truly believes paying them more would prevent them from accepting a bribe, they're delusional. You can pay them $500,000 per year and if somebody offers them another 100 grand, they're gonna take it if it's in their character to do so.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 25, 2011 at 13:16:26 ]

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by danimal:

They have salary requirements. If they don't make over a certain amount, they can't be NFL refs. That's so they can't be bought. Hochuli is a fancy pants lawyer.

______

Ha! I'm sitting in a coffee shop literally across the street from his office! Gonna ask him to join me at the gym, no homo.
BANK
Originally posted by 49erRider:

By far.

All refs are overpaid. NFL refs work one day a week for less than half a year and make a minimum of 27k? Ridiculous. I'm not saying it's ridiculous because of the minimal time they have to put in, but it's ridiculous because most of them suck so bad they should be working for free.

And if anyone truly believes paying them more would prevent them from accepting a bribe, they're delusional. You can pay them $500,000 per year and if somebody offers them another 100 grand, they're gonna take it if it's in their character to do so.

Yeah referees have it made in the shade. Anyone who risks multiple felonies and their career for extra money is a sleaze ball who is just taking bribes for thrills.

Refs get paid enough for doing a terrible job 16 times a week with the help of instant replay. Only about 3-4 ref crews are reputable. The other ones are a bunch of old guys who can barely see.
I make about $5,000 a game. More when one of the teams pays me more to win the game for them.
You could call up St. Mary's High school and ask to speak to the Principal: http://www.saintmaryshighschool.org/Department/Morelli.htm
Share 49ersWebzone