Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Rules for fair catching in the XFL;

there are no fair catch signals.

XFL's new motto.....

Play.........or die.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
sooooo you pretty much have to let the QB throw the ball and let the receiver catch it? Well might as well get rid of the RB position because why run the ball when you get a free pitch and catch every time you throw it.

You didn't see the other new potential rule. Defenders are not allowed to tackle. So why chance an incomplete pass?
Originally posted by GIMMEa6thSHIP:
whats the point of playing tackle football anymore? Might as well play 2 hand touch

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6223700

"ILLEGAL HITS
NFL to be more aggressive with suspensions for illegal hits next season. Rules defining defenseless players expanded to eight categories:

• QB in act of throwing
• Receiver trying to catch pass
• Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped
• Player fielding punt or kickoff
• Kicker or punter during kick
• QB after change of possession
• Receiver who receives blind-side block
• Player already on ground"

yea it's stupid but most those I can live with and somewhat understand, but not being able to hit the qb after change of possesion? basically leave him free to tackle the guy?
How about this no kickoffs just place the ball at the 20 after each score.

Also no touching the QB at all the defense must count to five mississippi before two hand touching the QB and yelling "I've got you!".

Also no touching the WRs at all. You have to play the ball not the man.

Any defender who hits someone and injuries him must then injure himself in the same fashion. Eye for an eye.
Now you will see crazy floppers all over the place.
whats the point of playing tackle football anymore? Might as well play 2 hand touch

"ILLEGAL HITS
NFL to be more aggressive with suspensions for illegal hits next season. Rules defining defenseless players expanded to eight categories:

• QB in act of throwing - So what is the defense supposed to do? Rush the QB only to stop short to just stand there and let the QB throw since his arm is in motion?
• Receiver trying to catch pass - Agree only if it's BEFORE the ball gets there. And that rule is already in place.
• Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped - Another silly one. Defense is supposed to stop the runner, but then what, let go after 1 second of forward progress? What about the runners 2nd burst after hitting a line, especially at 1st and goal situations.
• Player fielding punt or kickoff - If you don't call "fair catch", you're fair game.
• Kicker or punter during kick - Another lame rule. Have a great defensive series blown due to a blocker just touching the kicker with the tip of your finger.
• QB after change of possession - If the QB lays down, or is not even close to where the action is, then let him be. If he's close enough to make a block, lay him out like any other player in the area.
• Receiver who receives blind-side block - Hmmm, can't think of anything bad about this one.
• Player already on ground" - ok, if you're down, you're down. 6 out of 8 are lame rules.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
How about this no kickoffs just place the ball at the 20 after each score.Also no touching the QB at all the defense must count to five mississippi before two hand touching the QB and yelling "I've got you!".

Also no touching the WRs at all. You have to play the ball not the man.

Any defender who hits someone and injuries him must then injure himself in the same fashion. Eye for an eye.

You obviously didn't see the other new rule proposal about touchbacks coming out to the 25 yard line and kickers kicking from the 35. Its going to practically do what you said. No kickoffs just place the ball on the 25 yard line.

"ILLEGAL HITS

QB in act of throwing
Receiver trying to catch pass
• Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped
• Player fielding punt or kickoff
• Kicker or punter during kick
• QB after change of possession
• Receiver who receives blind-side block
• Player already on ground"

LOL You cannot be serious?!?!
hitting the qb during the act of throwing is the best time to hit him imo
What's stopping a QB from snapping the ball and then doing nothing but pump fakes during his entire drop back and scanning of the coverage? Nobody could touch him b/c after all, any one of those "fakes" could potentially be the real pass and if he were hit while doing said "fakes" the ref would have no way of knowing if that actually were a real attempt and he'd be compelled to throw a flag.

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Now you will see crazy floppers all over the place.

it's going to turn into basketball!
They might as well extend breast cancer awareness month for the full length of the NFL season so Goodell can have them in pink all season long.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Per Roger Goodell:

- QB's and receivers will where two flags on their hip belts.

- RB's will be given a 5 yard head start beyond the line of scrimmage.

- Defenses will only be allowed to blitz one defender.

- FG attempts will no longer be blockable, due to kickers only appearance in game.

- Players will be fined or suspended if called for pass interference.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
It appears they want more touchbacks. Currently, a team is more likely to run the ball out of the end zone, but if the touchback is the 25 yard line, then more players will kneel down.

What is funny is that the league made changes about 10 years ago to decrease the number of touchbacks. They moved the kickoff line from the 35 to 30 I believe, plus changed the kicking tee to make the ball travel a shorter distance. Instead of moving the touchback line to the 25, I think it would be better to just undo, or only partially undo the old change. I really hate the idea of touchbacks going to the 25 yard line. Giving 20 free yards is bad enough; I don't see any reason to give even more free yards to the offense. Make them earn those yards.
Originally posted by fryet:
It appears they want more touchbacks. Currently, a team is more likely to run the ball out of the end zone, but if the touchback is the 25 yard line, then more players will kneel down.

What is funny is that the league made changes about 10 years ago to decrease the number of touchbacks. They moved the kickoff line from the 35 to 30 I believe, plus changed the kicking tee to make the ball travel a shorter distance. Instead of moving the touchback line to the 25, I think it would be better to just undo, or only partially undo the old change. I really hate the idea of touchbacks going to the 25 yard line. Giving 20 free yards is bad enough; I don't see any reason to give even more free yards to the offense. Make them earn those yards.

I like it. I think forcing the kicker to having to aim and judge the strength of the kick to try and get it to the 1 yard line like a punt is good. In fact, I think a touchback should go to the 30. Force the kickers to use more skill and punish the kicking team for trying to take the easy way out with a touchback.

25 won't get teams to stop taking the easy way out and we will see nothing but touchbacks. Putting it at the 30 or 35 would force them to not want a touchback and force more strategy. Too bad they only moved it to the 25.

As for high school players post, players don't hit as hard in high school. NFL players give and take immense hits due to their speed and size so safety is a higher priority when it comes to impact than it is in high school. Have you ever seen high school kids fight or middle school kids fight. Rarely do you see a knockout. But older folks fighting cause greater damage because of strength and speed.
Share 49ersWebzone