LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Sources: NFLPA wants draft boycott

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
i don't really like this, but i understand it.

i mean, if the NLFPA is saying that their efforts include rookies, it would be strange for the draft to continue business as usual, a big celebration in the midst of a broken system. if i were a player invited to the draft, though, i would certainly go.

This.

i mean, if the NLFPA is saying that their efforts include rookies, it would be strange for the draft to continue business as usual, a big celebration in the midst of a broken system. if i were a player invited to the draft, though, i would certainly go.

I wonder if you would be as forgiving if the owners pulled a similar stunt. I don't understand it at all, I think it's a cheap shot by the union/trade federation. It is a grave miscalculation on their part because it reveals something they try very hard to keep hidden.

I'm not surprised, unions deploy some incredibly dirty tactics to win at all costs. They are normally very tactful and deceptive and normally operate under the protection of media outlets. Because this is such a marquee occurrence, this move is not something that can be swept under the rug by the media and thus exposing the ugliness of union tactics.

big whoops.....

But mark my words, save them to your note pad of posts, when the waves of displeasure erupt over this D. Smith will cut and run from the idea. Expect all players to be at the draft and for this whole idea to disappearance from news stories very quickly.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
STUPID.

These are college kids. They have been waiting their whole life to make the NFL. They only get to walk on that stage once and shake the commissioners hand. It's memories for a lifetime. How incredibly selfish of the players and players union to put these young rookies and college students in that position. It's not their fault that the 2 sides couldn't agree.

This.
NFLPA "recommends" rookies boycott draft!

Speaking of the man hugs, agent Drew Rosenhaus made a compelling point Monday night on Twitter. “The NFL Draft is an incredibly popular event but the players being drafted are locked out, too,” Rosenhaus said. “The players may be in New York but I can’t see how they can be on TV and give a big hug to a person that is partly responsible for not letting them play.”

Makes sense to me.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
If the draftees do attend the event, it will be rather strange. The team will not be able to call and congratulate them after they have been selected. As mentioned above, should the player shake the hand of the commissioner? I suppose they probably should - show some class even when enemies. But this will be an unusual draft regardless of whether they attend or not.
anything to hurt the NFL im for! These b*****ds opted out of the current cba!
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
nothing like taking away from the coolest night in a kids life to prove a point on how both sides failed to do their job...

this..all that hard work to hold up that jersey in the first round but nope let's ruin it for everybody because they f**ked up

No accountability on either side kicks a kid's dream to the curb for greed.

Originally posted by Shorteous:

I wonder if you would be as forgiving if the owners pulled a similar stunt. I don't understand it at all, I think it's a cheap shot by the union/trade federation. It is a grave miscalculation on their part because it reveals something they try very hard to keep hidden.

I'm not surprised, unions deploy some incredibly dirty tactics to win at all costs. They are normally very tactful and deceptive and normally operate under the protection of media outlets. Because this is such a marquee occurrence, this move is not something that can be swept under the rug by the media and thus exposing the ugliness of union tactics.

big whoops.....

But mark my words, save them to your note pad of posts, when the waves of displeasure erupt over this D. Smith will cut and run from the idea. Expect all players to be at the draft and for this whole idea to disappearance from news stories very quickly.

lol
Originally posted by TheChozen:
NFLPA "recommends" rookies boycott draft!

Speaking of the man hugs, agent Drew Rosenhaus made a compelling point Monday night on Twitter. “The NFL Draft is an incredibly popular event but the players being drafted are locked out, too,” Rosenhaus said. “The players may be in New York but I can’t see how they can be on TV and give a big hug to a person that is partly responsible for not letting them play.”

Makes sense to me.

it does make sense. and like with anything in this whole dispute, even when it makes sense, logically, it sucks, because its not the NFL we all love. As fryet said in the below yours, this draft will be unusual no matter what.

I find it really curious that Hessian is one of the few here who has sided with the NFLPA*.

-9fA
We all know that the draft is now a official NFL cash cow. That's why it's on tv for 4 days. The ratings are through the roof, and the NFL is making a killing off of advertising. It's like why should the NFL and the players just basically put on a 4 day fashion show pretending as everything is all good. It's gonna look pretty superficial.

The main problem is they can't force these orders on the players. It's gonna create confusion if they don't get one voice to speak to all the prospects. I'm sure each agent is telling there clients something different. I mean are you gonna end up with some guys showing up and some guys not showing up? Then are owners gonna not draft a guy who didn't show up over a guy who did? So it's either they all don't show or they do show. If I were a parent I would tell my kid understand the situation from both sides and make up your mind and we will do what you want. I would be disappointed not seeing my son walk across the stage but I would be proud in the same manner if he was willing to give that up. If that's what he truly believes and isn't just following the union. These guys are 21+ for the most part they can make intelligent decisions about the situation.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I find it really curious that Hessian is one of the few here who has sided with the NFLPA*.

-9fA

why is it curious? i always err on the side of labor, and the details of this situation have done nothing to dissuade me from that. in terms of the draft boycott, as I said, I don't like it, but I understand why it was suggested by the NFLPA* (nice touch, by the way).
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

why is it curious? i always err on the side of labor, and the details of this situation have done nothing to dissuade me from that. in terms of the draft boycott, as I said, I don't like it, but I understand why it was suggested by the NFLPA* (nice touch, by the way).

Curious in the sense that you're the only person who has taken player's position on this situation. Oh and I wish I could take credit for the asterisk, but I got it from PFT.

-9fA
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
STUPID.

These are college kids. They have been waiting their whole life to make the NFL. They only get to walk on that stage once and shake the commissioners hand. It's memories for a lifetime. How incredibly selfish of the players and players union to put these young rookies and college students in that position. It's not their fault that the 2 sides couldn't agree.

Watched Mark Ingram ( RB-Hiesman) on NFL total access last night. The kid was gushing about how his whole life he's wanted to be drafted and walk on stage. You could see dream in his eyes. I felt very bad for the position he has been put in due to the NFLPA.
Share 49ersWebzone