LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

What compensation do players DESERVE?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by danimal:
the average person would also not be able to tell the difference between the best 2000 football players vs the next best 2000. If you are in that top 2000 then you make the NFL money you explained. If you are in the next 2000 well then you probably work at costco to supplement whatever semi pro checks you get which probably average less than 6 figures a year.

So there is a certain level of replaceability that the NFL players are exposed to as well just like the rest of us. And the great difference in compensation between NFL players vs other league players also points out how overpaid the talent in the NFL is

That is crazy talk!

The Highest paid positions are paid like so because of the huge drop off in talent. It is almost impossible to replace a Brady or Revis on a team bc their talent level is so rare.
Let's compare the best football players salary to Michael Jackson before he died. How much did he earn for a concert? More than the best player makes in a lifetime? Why? Because he was the only Michael Jackson and built up a following that allowed him to charge what he did. I would not have paid a cent to hear him but that has no relevance as to his worth.

I have no idea what Justin Beamer (sp?) makes per...what does he do? Sing? OK, what does he make per concert? More than the highest paid football player makes in a year. Probably. He is merchandised out the whazoo, can't go anywhere without seeing his picture.

Salaries are based on the history of bargaining in the NFL. My grandfather played before the NFL was created and earned a weeks salary for each game. He thought it was stealing. Five bucks? Everything is relative and fair is a negotiable target.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
They can't be over paid if their bosses are turning a profit. I've never had a problem with their ridiculous salaries because they generate 10 times that for the guy writing the check. Now baseball players are another story.
Originally posted by TX9R:
They can't be over paid if their bosses are turning a profit. I've never had a problem with their ridiculous salaries because they generate 10 times that for the guy writing the check. Now baseball players are another story.

I think the idea by the NFL is to avoid the bolded
the average person would also not be able to tell the difference between the best 2000 football players vs the next best 2000. If you are in that top 2000 then you make the NFL money you explained. If you are in the next 2000 well then you probably work at costco to supplement whatever semi pro checks you get which probably average less than 6 figures a year.

So there is a certain level of replaceability that the NFL players are exposed to as well just like the rest of us. And the great difference in compensation between NFL players vs other league players also points out how overpaid the talent in the NFL is

That is crazy talk!

The Highest paid positions are paid like so because of the huge drop off in talent. It is almost impossible to replace a Brady or Revis on a team bc their talent level is so rare.

I have said this many times before. The very fact that you went and found a 49ers fan forum means you are not an average fan. The average fan would not really be able to tell the difference. Also take into account that since there would no longer be a Brady or a Revis, the drop down would be even that less apparent because the degradation is across the board. Leser QB throwing to lesser WR's against lesser Corners.

I am telling you right now the NFL could make last years Oregon the new Patriots and Auburn the new Steelers and your average fan would not notice much of a difference at all.

That is crazy talk!

I have said this many times before. The very fact that you went and found a 49ers fan forum means you are not an average fan. The average fan would not really be able to tell the difference. Also take into account that since there would no longer be a Brady or a Revis, the drop down would be even that less apparent because the degradation is across the board. Leser QB throwing to lesser WR's against lesser Corners.

I am telling you right now the NFL could make last years Oregon the new Patriots and Auburn the new Steelers and your average fan would not notice much of a difference at all.

Who is forcing the owners to pay Big Ben,Revis, or Brady, or a rookie qb (50 million$$)the big contracts ?
Originally posted by franklinfan:

That is crazy talk!

Who is forcing the owners to pay Big Ben,Revis, or Brady, or a rookie qb (50 million$$)the big contracts ?

Other owners.
bim: "We all know that pro atheletes are way overpaid... but by how much?"

We all know??!!! Sorry, but I don't agree at all. How many people on the planet can be a starting QB or a cornerback for an NFL team? Out of 6 billion people, how many. Or just take America. How many out of 325 million? Well less than a hundred. The worst guy on any NFL team, the guy sitting on the bench all season long, is probably the best athlete to ever come out of his home town. And just being a great athlete, as we've all seen, isn't good enough. These guys need brains, commitment, drive and discipline. Have you ever even known anyone who could possibly make it on to an NFL team? I'm guessing no.

Now, how many people have the skills necessary to be a CEO? Out of 325 million, there are probably tens of thousands. How many have what it takes to be a billionaire? No specific skill is necessary. Mainly, it's the product of being born into a family with a lot of money. How's the old joke go? "How do you get rich? Okay, first take a million dollars and then..."
These players are paid on the basis of their own talent, just like any other entertainer. In most entertainment, there's nepotism, but that doesn't even work in professional sports. It's all about what you can do, and only a tiny percentage of the population even has a chance. Does Jim Carrey deserve $20 million a film? Did Barbara Striesand deserve $10 million for a single concert? They do because they can get it. And they can get it because some businessman or group of businessmen makes a profit off of them. Nobody's giving anything away. These athletes are the centerpiece of a professional sport that brings in billions a year, the biggest sporting enterprise in the world.

THEY DESERVE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY CAN POSSIBLY GET.
Originally posted by blm7754:
? We all know that pro atheletes are way overpaid

I don't think they're overpaid.

As for what they deserve, let's start at the baseline of what they're getting. If the argument is that they should be getting more than they're getting, they need to provide a good justification for why they deserve more. If the argument is that they deserve less than they're getting, the owners need to provide a good justification for why they deserve less.

Right now, the owners are arguing that the players deserve less than they're currently getting, but refuse to offer a justification for this argument by opening up their books and proving it. They want to hold an additional billion dollars back from the salary split under the condition of using it for mutual interest, but are unwilling to show that it will be used that way, or is even needed in the first place.

The owners are the ones asking for more money, not the players, and the onus of responsibility is on them to prove and argue and harangue and convince that they need it.

Focusing on the players is unjustified.

We all know they're overpaid? I didn't know they were overpaid. They're a small talent pool that collectively generate billions annually in revenue for themselves and the owners. Then the players and the owners split up those revenues amongst each other. I'm having a hard time understanding how they're overpaid. There are billions of dollars sitting there that their talents have generated. Where else is the money supposed to go?
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
There are billions of dollars sitting there that their talents have generated. Where else is the money supposed to go?

Exactly. I'd like to see a good argument for what Jed York has personally done to warrant him pocketing an extra 30 million plus a year out of his players' pockets.

[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Mar 19, 2011 at 15:37:48 ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
There are billions of dollars sitting there that their talents have generated. Where else is the money supposed to go?

Exactly. I'd like to see a good argument for what Jed York has personally done to warrant him pocketing an extra 30 million plus a year out of his players' pockets.

Haha. What the yorks deserve probably deserve it's own thread. I'm just saying, even if the owners get what they're asking, that means peyton gets what, 13 mil a year instead of 16? People saying players are overpaid now will still say the players are overpaid. My question is where is the money the generate supposed to go?
Share 49ersWebzone